New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan? | Page 24 | Golden Skate

New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw. I'm delighted that Kaori was adopted by such a passionate skating fan like S4M. :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope someone will adopt Alysa Liu.
She had a stunning debut, winning Jr. Ladies! I have not been this excited about a US lady for a long time. Too bad she is just too young for the JGP next season.

Short Program
Free Skate

And Starr Andrews
Short Program
Free Skate

who had a great senior debut.

Last edited:
Hey can we request fan fests somewhere? I can't see a request thread. But if this is it, can there be a Jimmy Ma one? :laugh:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I hope someone will adopt Alysa Liu.
She had a stunning debut, winning Jr. Ladies! I have not been this excited about a US lady for a long time. Too bad she is just too young for the JGP next season.

Short Program
Free Skate

And Starr Andrews
Short Program
Free Skate

who had a great senior debut.
I will adopt both Alysa and Starr and will work on them sometime soon :)

OK, but I'm not really sure how it works, or how to get all his results and performance/exhibition videos (he doesn't even have a wiki!).

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, but I'm not really sure how it works, or how to get all his results and performance/exhibition videos (he doesn't even have a wiki!).

For finding results, the best place to go is a Norwegian website called Rink Results. It is very comprehensive, and is kept really up to date.

Here is Jimmy Ma's Rink Results Bio:

http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=723

But, please be aware that Rink Results only covers Singles skating.

Other sites that are good for results are Stats On Ice and Tracings. They may not be updated quite as often as Rink Results, but they do cover Pairs and Ice Dance.

A thing to note is that all the websites I have mentioned are privately run. So, I have nothing but admiration for the dedication of the people that run them:

• Pål Dahle (Rink Results)
  • Curran Oi (Stats On Ice)
  • Melanie Hoyt (Tracings)

:bow: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just generally, do people tweet fan threads to the skaters?

My opinion (only an opinion) is that it is not a good idea (no matter how well-intentioned).

Unfortunately (IMO), I think some do like to bring the GS fan threads to the attention of "their" skaters.

My opinion (only an opinion) is that it is not a good idea (no matter how well-intentioned).

Unfortunately (IMO), I think some do like to bring the GS fan threads to the attention of "their" skaters.

I actually agree with you, and hence I asked. It could be distressing to skaters due to maybe added pressure, or maybe because someone said something about them there (fan threads get ugly), or simply because they don't have as many fans as someone else.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

In general, I agree with you.

To explain why, I am going to look at it from both points of view.

With lesser-known skaters, it can be very difficult to find out information about them. So, contacting them, or members of their team, can actually prove useful. I have only done it a couple of times, and the person I have contacted has been happy to help, and has been encouraged to be getting support.

HOWEVER, the circumstances that I was doing it under those few times were unique. In any other situation, I would not even think of doing it.

Put it like this: what you are essentially doing is contacting somebody you don't know totally out of the blue, and telling them that you like them and know a lot about them, but want to know more.

Sounds freaky when you look at it from this angle, doesn't it?

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Another thing:

I think it is inevitable that supportive fans sometimes will hyper-analyze and/or second-guess what a skater has done or is doing.

"I think a better layout would be ..." or "I wish she would go back to the old layout" or "he needs a new costume" or "I don't understand why they can't nail Element X more consistently," etc., etc.

If I were a skater, I think I would want to remain blissfully ignorant of the hyper-analysis and second-guessing, even if I understood that those in the fan thread had my best interests at heart.​

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
So, um, GS Forum Staff still owns Sasha Cohen's thread
If he/she wants it I totally get it
but if not / he/she wants to give her a permanent adoptive mommy, I'd love her :love:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I have a question, how does one update a fanfest they're not the OP of? Does one need to re-adopt it?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have a question, how does one update a fanfest they're not the OP of? Does one need to re-adopt it?

From what I have seen, what tends to happen is that the person that wants to do it just posts the update as a normal post within the thread. To get it to be pasted into the Original Post, they then either contact a Mod directly, or else report the post. Then one of the Mods will do the necessary.

Normally threads will only be re-allocated if the Original Poster has been banned, or if it was started by gsk8 or GS Forum Staff.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan