New Sasha journal ... 8/24/05 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

New Sasha journal ... 8/24/05

gezando

Final Flight
millie said:
I concluded that that someone is a stuck-up-diva (your words) because they do not write a journal.

Thats right, you did not use the words stuck up diva, you said "being secretive". IMO and going along with you line of reasonging actually Cohen is being secretive. She has a habit of announcing ahead of time that she will announce her program music next time she post. Why be so secretive for the time interval in between. I will say that is diva like behavior. Of course Cohen is not accomplish enough in her line of work (skating) to qualfiy as a diva. Cohen on ice in terms of art and tech is no Joan Sutherland singing the role of Norma.

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
gezando said:
Thats right, you did not use the words stuck up diva, you said "being secretive". IMO and going along with you line of reasonging actually Cohen is being secretive. She has a habit of announcing ahead of time that she will announce her program music next time she post. Why be so secretive for the time interval in between. I will say that is diva like behavior. Of course Cohen is not accomplish enough in her line of work (skating) to qualfiy as a diva. Cohen on ice in terms of art and tech is no Joan Sutherland singing the role of Norma.

In my opinion, the only divas in figure skating are the ones that have won the OGM. All the rest are divas wannabes, trying to win the OGM. Up until that point. they are all striving to reach that point. No matter what we say, they all want to win. They are not skating for the fun of it, they are all trying to reach the top.

Happy skating.

gezando

Final Flight
millie said:
In my opinion, the only divas in figure skating are the ones that have won the OGM.

Well, going along with your definition of what kind of accomplishment in skating qualifies the skater to be a diva, then I think an OGM like Sarah Hughes is an example of one who has the accomplishment, but does not behave like one. OTOH, Cohen is not even a national gold medalist, (so that makes her a national GM, and worldGM wannabe your word) but she is being "secretive" (your word) so your words and reasoning points to the conclusion that Cohen exhibits diva like behavior, and she is a national GM worldGM and OGM. Once upon a time she was a jr world GM wannabe.

IIRC, when shortly after Cohen swtiched to Wagner she said, "I have fun, so much fun, oh fun fun fun"

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Oh, come on already! Haven't you read the comments from others in this message board who have also expressed their less than positive reaction to the fluff in Sasha's journals? Many of us just laugh at this trivia. And why in the world do you defend this girl as if she's your best friend? Please, all of us should have better things to do with our lives - IMHO at least. :biggrin:

I've done this as well (criticize some of what she's said in her journal). But in the end, it is all based on opinion, people. Just because I say something doesn't make it right, and just because anyone else says it, doesn't make it right as well. In other words, while I partly agree with you, other people (mainly SC fans) actually like reading her journals. Heck, when she writes about skating I find some of it interesting. It's not fair (in my view anyway) to condemn the fans for liking or wanting to read SC's journal. Yes, some of us don't like it, but others do. Just my 2 cents here.

To me, it is one thing to say that Sasha's journal entries are fluffy and not of any great moment. But there is nothing in that which makes me think that Sasha is self-absorbed and only interested in herself.

Conversely, to conclude that someone is a stuck-up diva because he or she doesn't keep an online journal -- that's pretty weak reasoning, too, IMHO.

MM, ITA. How the heck does keeping an online journal (not a blog, but a casual "journal") make you self-absorbed or interested in yourself anyway? Isn't that the whole point of the idea, to TALK about yourself and what's going on with you?? Hello..? For that matter, it's equally as ridiculous (IMO) to think the other way around. There's just no way of knowing unless you know them personally.

You could say that in order to get to the level that these skaters are right now, you need to have that inner self-confidence and drive. So, all the skaters have this to some degree. A diva to me is one that takes the self-confidence thing too far and becomes arrogant about it. But that's JMO. I may have more to add later on, gotta run now.

Lucy25

Final Flight
millie said:
Thank you Lucy25, I appologize to Mathman, I misread his thread. No hard feelings :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have a habit of doing that myself sometimes. :)

As far as I am concerned there are only Divas in Grand Opera where the term came about. To have that honor one must have had a considerable body of well performed work together with a huge ego attitude.

In Ballet, the term used is Prima Balerina Assoluta

Can figure skating come up with an original term?

Joe

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
As far as I am concerned there are only Divas in Grand Opera where the term came about. To have that honor one must have had a considerable body of well performed work together with a huge ego attitude.

In Ballet, the term used is Prima Balerina Assoluta

Can figure skating come up with an original term?

Joe

How about Prima Skating Goddess (Diva--goddess, fem. of divus.)

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
OK. What would be the criteria for a skater to get that title?

Joe

To get this title, a skater would have to overcome all odds, to get to the top. Someone, in my opinion, like Irina. Some who has perservered all her life to get where she is today--being poor, through sickness in the family and being sick herself and still skating at a world class level. That's who I would call a Prima Skating Goddess. Who else would fit this criteria?

antmanb

Record Breaker
gezando said:

I'm sorry but you really are talking rubbish! If you genuinely believe that being "secretive" about your choice of music for the upcoming season is "diva like behaviour" then you should be aware that you're tarrring about 50% of elite level skaters with the "Diva" brush!

Its got nothing to do with being a Diva its about wanting your debut competition for the season to be the premier of your program, or at least trying to maintain an element of surprise for as long as possible which, given how long a skating season is, is no bad thing. Its stops people from pre-judging you and/or your choice of music for months before they actually see you skate to it. Look at how people have immediately jumped all over Cohen's music choices and have something to say about any music choices that have been announced before any skating is actually seen.

Another pairing who haven't anounced their music choices yet are British Dance Champions Sinead and John Kerr. Here's what they've got to say about that choice:

"At present we have decided not to announce what the music will be as sometimes this leads to an excessive amount of comment on the actual music when, at the end of the day, it all depends on the choreography you put with the music."

And again i'd say at least half of the skaters that go to worlds don't announce their music in advance - they don't have to, there's no obligation, so eveyone should have the right to do whatever they want in relation to discussing their music choices before their first competition (or not!).

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
millie said:
To get this title, a skater would have to overcome all odds, to get to the top. Someone, in my opinion, like Irina. Some who has perservered all her life to get where she is today--being poor, through sickness in the family and being sick herself and still skating at a world class level. That's who I would call a Prima Skating Goddess. Who else would fit this criteria?

I disagree - i don't think background or personal circumstances have anything to do with it - it think its just performances on the ice. For the record i think Irina still gets on the list for those reasons, i just think personal circumstances are irrelvant.

I think i'd have to go with the Opera version too in terms of the skater having to have a several sustained top level performances to qualify so in that regard Irina and Michelle immediately come to mind along with Katarina. Anyone else?

Ant

It's all about 'body of work' and 'attitude'.

I think opera buffs would agree that Maria Callas was Diva because she was arguably the greatest dramatic soprano of her day and may still be the greatest. But she could do lyric, too as well as heroic. She excelled in various types of operas. and she was demanding!! with lots of attitude.

To bring that into figure skating. I would think Kwan, B&S, Kat, would qualify as excelling to a variety of music over a substantial period of time.

However, other than Kat, I do not see second requirement of 'attitude' for Kwan and B&S. But hey, Diva is not exactly a full fledged compliment.

I would say Kwan is a Prima Skater Asoluta, but that's just my opinion.

Joe

(PS Anyone know how to say 'skater' in Italian?)

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's all about 'body of work' and 'attitude'.

I think opera buffs would agree that Maria Callas was Diva because she was arguably the greatest dramatic soprano of her day and may still be the greatest. But she could do lyric, too as well as heroic. She excelled in various types of operas. and she was demanding!! with lots of attitude.

To bring that into figure skating. I would think Kwan, B&S, Kat, would qualify as excelling to a variety of music over a substantial period of time.

However, other than Kat, I do not see second requirement of 'attitude' for Kwan and B&S. But hey, Diva is not exactly a full fledged compliment.

I would say Kwan is a Prima Skater Asoluta, but that's just my opinion.

Joe

:clap: :clap: :clap: Joe!

To me a Diva is someone who because they are talented feel they have a right to be bitchy and rude.

I think that sometimes language/cultural differences or even shyness are misinterpreted as diva like behavior.

(PS Anyone know how to say 'skater' in Italian?)

Sure, Kostner, Fontana, Fusor-Poli :biggrin: .

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good one!!!

All I can say is poor Sasha!!! Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. :laugh: :laugh:

It's her jounal, she can write whatever she wants to. It's your option to read it or not.................and to .....................like it or not...........so why make it such a big deal?????

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
!!

It's her jounal, she can write whatever she wants to. It's your option to read it or not.................and to .....................like it or not...........so why make it such a big deal?????

Dee

:yes:

orchid

On the Ice
MM, But how many of the 137 replies are discussing the content of the journal rather the "quality" of the content ? :rofl:

kyla2

Final Flight
Comments

Some people need to get lives. Knocking Sasha because she doesn't reveal her music choices is hilarious! Knocking her journal for content? Again, too hilarious. She is a skater who is informing and conversing with her fan base. Don't read it if it bores you.

Joe, I like your description of Michelle as a prima ballerina asoluta (sp?). Fits perfectly. Katarina Witt was a prima dona-that fits perfectly too and I don't mean it in its positive conotation. Maria Callas, as mesmerizing as she was, was a far better actress than she was an opera singer. Give me Tebaldi, Te Kanewa or Sutherland.

orchid

On the Ice
kyla2 said:
Some people need to get lives. Knocking Sasha because she doesn't reveal her music choices is hilarious! Knocking her journal for content? Again, too hilarious. She is a skater who is informing and conversing with her fan base. Don't read it if it bores you.

First , Sasha is fell over herself, to let us know she is regurgitating a old exhibition piece. Not like THAT was any surprise. :biggrin: It is Michelle who is critiized for keeping her music a mystery.

Next, if one reads closely the replies to the 'here's another Sasha journal entry', many people are mocking her writing and the rest defending it. Therefore, I conclude everyone "likes" reading it but for different reasons.

I say Sasha, write away, anything that pops into your mind. Hours of fun. Soon we can all focus on the skating and these Pulitzer prize quality journal entries will lessen in interest to all.
:rofl: