Olympic Ladies: some stats | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Olympic Ladies: some stats

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Um, Zagitova's free was perfect at CoC. It seems like you're just really bitter about it. It didn't really matter anyway: Wakaba made the GPF on her own merits anyway, and so did Alina.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i think the people and the media in the US just don't understand how a consistent skater looks like. prior to bradie they had skaters like ashley wagner, who on a best day can hit 3 out of 5 combos in practice.
so they see bradie in practices hitting jumps with a 95% success rate, and they are thinking "wow, this girl is really consistent!"
it must be really shocking for them to see a girl that skated 3 or 4 clean competitons in a season, because for the last 5 or 6 years american ladies hasn't skated clean at all.

so bradie is presented in the media like she's a second coming of daria panenkova. but she's not. she's can't hit 200 jumps in a row in practice, and there is no 99% chance that she skates a two clean programs in a competition. the chance of that happening is 65-70% at best

Actually Bradie is very consistent with her 3-3 and 2A-3t this season. Since June, her first competition of the season she has been 100 percent on the 3z-3t and 80 percent on her 2a-3t. She's at least a dark horse if nothing else.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
and isn't the 80% on the 2A-3T from nationals where she underrotated the 2A but tacked on a beautiful 3T anyway?

tjb

Match Penalty
Actually Bradie is very consistent with her 3-3 and 2A-3t this season. Since June, her first competition of the season she has been 100 percent on the 3z-3t and 80 percent on her 2a-3t. She's at least a dark horse if nothing else.

there is different grades of consistency. i have no doubts that hitting 10 3-3's in a row is something unheard-of for american ladie. and bradie is very consistent for american ladie for sure.
but she's not as consistent as american media are trying to present her.
like tara lipinski are constantly saying that bradie is a skater that never falls at practices. she was saying it during bradie fs at nationals, while bradie is actually fell on her 3F at free skate runthrough.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
there is different grades of consistency. i have no doubts that hitting 10 3-3's in a row is something unheard-of for american ladie. and bradie is very consistent for american ladie for sure.
but she's not as consistent as american media are trying to present her.
like tara lipinski are constantly saying that bradie is a skater that never falls at practices. she was saying it during bradie fs at nationals, while bradie is actually fell on her 3F at free skate runthrough.

well even Zhenya occasionally falls in practices
she's still the most consistent skater out there

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Even Medvedeva wasn't as consistent as Bradie in her 3 first competitions during her first senior season.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Um, Zagitova's free was perfect at CoC. It seems like you're just really bitter about it. It didn't really matter anyway: Wakaba made the GPF on her own merits anyway, and so did Alina.

I was talking about the combination of SP+LP. If not for the PCS cushion in the LP, she wouldn't have won (by one point). No other ladies' PCS was inflated as much as hers in that competition.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I was talking about the combination of SP+LP. If not for the PCS cushion in the LP, she wouldn't have won (by one point). No other ladies' PCS was inflated as much as hers in that competition.

well, wait a bit for Kostornaya's debut, i think she will get 70 PCS(or even more) right from the start :biggrin: (if she will keep delivering like she does now)

tjb

Match Penalty

she had a junior world record in PCS. what are you expected for her PCS in the seniors, lower 50s?:laugh:

tjb

Match Penalty
well even Zhenya occasionally falls in practices
she's still the most consistent skater out there

zneyna consistency is also overrated. she's consistent in comparasion to other top senior ladies, but she is the one on the most inconsistent skaters in eteri's group. she had only one season (2014/2015 in juniors) without falls in competitions.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
well, wait a bit for Kostornaya's debut, i think she will get 70 PCS(or even more) right from the start :biggrin: (if she will keep delivering like she does now)

That's something that i could agree. She's younger but she's far better than Medvedeva and Zagitova.

Grin

Medalist
zneyna consistency is also overrated. she's consistent in comparasion to other top senior ladies, but she is the one on the most inconsistent skaters in eteri's group. she had only one season (2014/2015 in juniors) without falls in competitions.
I think Nastya Tarakanova is more inconsistent than Evgenia. And don't forget that Evgenia skated with injury at GP events this season

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think that the only senior season when Medvedeva was really consistent, a rock, was last season. I can only remember two costly mistakes. In her first season she wasn't as consistent. I think that Miyahara was more consistent. But people thought she was the most consistent surely because of her scores. Scores that were high since her GP debuts at SA, where the overscoring started. From Nepela (the only competition where she was judged right) to SA, her scores jumped a lot for similars performances.
But i have to say that it still impressive. Only Miyahara and Mihara have almost the same level of consistency.

tjb

Match Penalty
I think that the only senior season when Medvedeva was really consistent, a rock, was last season. I can only remember two costly mistakes. In her first season she wasn't as consistent. I think that Miyahara was more consistent. But people thought she was the most consistent surely because of her scores. Scores that were high since her GP debuts at SA, where the overscoring started. From Nepela (the only competition where she was judged right) to SA, her scores jumped a lot for similars performances.
But i have to say that it still impressive. Only Miyahara and Mihara have almost the same level of consistency.

yeah, miyahara is truly consistent in not getting called for anything. but it seems strange to me that a skater who underrotates at least 70% of her jumps at every competition, considered as consistent by someone.

and yes medvedeva was judged right in nepela, just like she was judged right before that in juniors, and later in a major senior competitions.
when people are talking of someone "scores are jumped", they don't understand that scores are not existing in a vacuum. different level of competitions have a different range of scores. it's possible for the judges to score medvedeva or zagitova in the low 60s in the PCS as long as their PCS are the highest in the field.
but you can't have gracie gold and medvedeva at the same event and say to people that gracie deserving significantly more in PCS. no one in the audience (unless they are biased haters) would believe that. so the judges are trying to make it not to look completely ridicolus. that's why skater's scores are tending to "jump" with the level of competitions changing

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
when people are talking of someone "scores are jumped", they don't understand that scores are not existing in a vacuum. different level of competitions have a different range of scores. it's possible for the judges to score medvedeva or zagitova in the low 60s in the PCS as long as their PCS are the highest in the field.
but you can't have gracie gold and medvedeva at the same event and say to people that gracie deserving significantly more in PCS. no one in the audience (unless they are biased haters) would believe that. so the judges are trying to make it not to look completely ridicolus. that's why skater's scores are tending to "jump" with the level of competitions changing
Oh so i understand why Zagitova's PCS jumped from 70 to 75. Judges knew that they would score Medvedeva 76-78. So when they compared Zagitova to Medvedeva they said "Naaaaah Medvedeva is not that goooood. Let's just give Zagitova much more points this time. Medvedeva is just two points better"