2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies SP | Page 158 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies SP

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Off-topic but who else had a gut feeling Kaetlyn Osmond would skate clean at the Olympics??? :yahoo:

ME!!! Given she had shared in winning a Gold in the TEAM Event, cheered on her teammates and watched as they brought in the hardware, I said, "ya know..., she's feeling really comfortable with this rink and she's gonna nail it." Having her 2 best programs of her career, I am beyond thrilled for her! For me she had the skate of the night, last night!

I wish the Russian fed had been more committed to the team event. I'm really happy for how the team event turned out for Canada, but on the other hand -- that was the only way both Alina and Evgenia could have had a chance of going home with gold medals...

qwertyskates

Medalist
What I am saying is Russia is boosting PCS as a buffer to shield their skaters from potential competition.

No one deserve 29% increase in PCS over the space of 11 months! It is a total joke. Especially the choreography, performance, skating skills, IN quality do not stand up to these marks on a relative basis to other skaters in the field or to their own past, nor has she been consistent. To accept it as a new standard shows a total lack of understanding or respect to how PCS has always been historically rewarded. It is basically rewriting history to suit one skater and goes against the natural progression of all aspect and quality of artistic improvements and development. They tried to do that during Sochi, this season is much worse. Just look how artificial the scoring has become.

Imagine if they suddenly reward Hanyu 29% more scores for his quads just so he can stay ahead of 6 quads Nathen. It would be ridiculous and scandalous!

Actually the men (eg Hanyu in the run-up to Sochi) did get these similar PCS rise.

colormyworld240

Medalist
ME!!! Given she had shared in winning a Gold in the TEAM Event, cheered on her teammates and watched as they brought in the hardware, I said, "ya know..., she's feeling really comfortable with this rink and she's gonna nail it." Having her 2 best programs of her career, I am beyond thrilled for her! For me she had the skate of the night, last night!

I just with Gabby would have had the same thing happen to her. That was hard to watch, this was her worst skate and everyone has those skates but it sucks it had to happen at the olympics.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I wish the Russian fed had been more committed to the team event. I'm really happy for how the team event turned out for Canada, but on the other hand -- that was the only way both Alina and Evgenia could have had a chance of going home with gold medals...

2 mistakes:
- Kolyada. Sorry, sweet kid, and I did feel really bad when he bombed, but I think EVERYONE in the world, or at least on this forum, know Aliev would skate better and Kolyada is prone to bombing. Also really unfair Aliev didn't get a team medal.. must suck to be left off the team even though you placed higher at Europeans... It's be really pissed at their fed if I were him
- No Candyman. That program is awful, but they are the best pair on the Russian team by an insane margin...

Jedi

On the Ice
I had an all nighter with work and volleyball. I stayed up because I had to watch the skating and go through this thread. It is sad how we move on so quickl; we are a fickle group. COmments being made about who will go to world's, about future Russian teens when the competition wasn't even over. The top three deserve the medals though I felt so bad for Satoko. She is young. It is really hard being in fourth or second. But Evgenia WON the silver - she earned it. I do think the judges could have given it to her if they wanted too. Satoko is a great performer too bad her jumps noticeably are lackluster.

Yay for Kaori and here's my hand to poor Gabby who just fell all over the place.

If it were not for Alina's ability to tack on a triple loop Evgenia would have won. I feel gutted for Evgenia - such a wonderful competitor and package. So close - to be essentially told its over at 18:( I thought Satoko had the bronze and then Osmond just did it. The unexpected the liz manley moment.

So sad to see the American ladies not be in the top 5 but Bradie shows signs though more of a Kimmie Meissner / Rachel Flatt kind of sign. Pleasant but not awe inspiring.

Poor Gabby that was a huge meltdown. Carolina will do well at worlds being in Italy and her farewell most likely. to be honest she is looking a little "tired" compared to these other top tier skaters.

vavavoom

Rinkside
What a fantastic soiree, I would have slightly preferred Evgenia, but Alina is a deserving and refreshing winner.

Satoko easily deserved the bronze, she made no mistakes and has that unparalleled musicality. Oh well...

vavavoom

Rinkside
What a trite argument as usual. " No one deserves" as if PCS should be something you get just by skating long enough devoid of what you put out in the ice. Its a good thing the judges are actually giving this juniors the PCS they deserve when they hit seniors instead of trying to prop second rate top skaters.

You nailed it. Some people just have that sense of entitlement... fans and skaters themselves... as in, I have been here forever and the youngster does not deserve to get near my level of skills... no matter if I fall on my jumps all the time.

Alina won, suck it up people, you'll have to get used to it. :laugh2:

beki

Medalist
Alina won, suck it up people, you'll have to get used to it. :laugh2:

Will we? Unless you mean Alina will also be superseded by a rinkmate very soon. Fortunately for her, she peaked with perfect timing for the games, and no one can take that away from her.

Jedi

On the Ice
i appreciate the love for Miyahara - wonderful packaging and skating despite small judges. And yes, it was a huge surprise that Osmond did so well in the long program but even with the small error on the lutz how can you deny the GOES on her tech elements -even the spins were nice and she did Black Swan the Osmond way; she did not try to be Oksana Baiul or whoever. Did I like it as much as say Cohen or Baiul no butjust because one prefers a certain style does not mean the pcs should not be seen as high with a different interpretation. Bravo . It is so tough to be fourth or second for that matter. but the top group of skaters were amazing. But it was forseeable that ALina could get first (or Evgenia) and likewise Osmond for bronze. Ironically this is a bit like 2010. Joannie was third and never came off as the lyrical beautiful skaters of Mao or Yuna but in her own way like Osmond versus the Russian ballerinas has her own artistic style which imho is highly regarded or should be.

I feel most for Satoko and especially Evgenia who has done a wonderful job leading the pack But life is timing. Had the 2014 olympics been held in 2012 Chan would probably have OGM and had Mao been allowed to compete in 2006 she would have had OGM. Last year had it been the olympics it is doubtful Alina woudl have gold but rather Evgenia. I sadly believe we might not see Evgenia for too long. Russians have a short "life" span and as we can tell by this thread there are several very good Russian young skaters. Remember teenage sensations like Yulia, Elena Rad, Eliza T, Adelina, Anna Pogo, all top medallists have faded out Evgenia has lasted longer than them. So many great women skaters and only three medals. Carolina is very lucky that the ladies do have quite the technical spread of the ladies or she probably would be more in a situation of Chan where he isn't really competitive. With the number of current jumping passes and quad jumps there is a bigger differentiation. We will probably see a lot of skaters tired come worlds and maybe some drop out of worlds or retire. We could have another Kimmie Meisner moment or Carolina at her home ending on a high note.

Look at the Korean skaters they did amazingly well here - usually home nation skaters do well in their own country.

Ziotic

Medalist

How could they have been more committed?? Even if T/M skated the free it wouldn’t have mattered. They used their best options, as Mikhail is Russia #1.

colormyworld240

Medalist
How could they have been more committed?? Even if T/M skated the free it wouldn’t have mattered. They used their best options, as Mikhail is Russia #1.

One word: Aliev. Kolyada is Russian #1 but Aliev placed better at Euros, he was in better shape leading up to Oly. If I were him, I'd be so pissed as they didn't use him at all and he didn't get a team medal. He scored 98 points in the SP, over 20 more than Kolyada. Who they then decided it was a good idea to use him in the free, because 8th place wasn't bad enough.

rain

Record Breaker
One word: Aliev. Kolyada is Russian #1 but Aliev placed better at Euros, he was in better shape leading up to Oly. If I were him, I'd be so pissed as they didn't use him at all and he didn't get a team medal. He scored 98 points in the SP, over 20 more than Kolyada. Who they then decided it was a good idea to use him in the free, because 8th place wasn't bad enough.

That's a case of 20/20 hindsight. People were talking about Kolyada as an outside shot for a medal; Aliev was nowhere in that conversation. Kolyada was much more of the known quantity. It's kind of like saying the U.S. shouldn't have used Nathan for the short.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's not 20/20 hindsight, between the result at Euros and the practices it was likely Aliev was going to skate better than Kolyada. I was saying he should have been in the Team event before he skated so well in the individual SP. It should have been obvious to the Russian fed after Kolyada horrifically bombed the Team SP that Aliev deserved to be slotted in.

rain

Record Breaker
It's not 20/20 hindsight, between the result at Euros and the practices it was likely Aliev was going to skate better than Kolyada. I was saying he should have been in the Team event before he skated so well in the individual SP. It should have been obvious to the Russian fed after Kolyada horrifically bombed the Team SP that Aliev deserved to be slotted in.

It IS hindsight. Even if you don't see it as such, it's clear that there was a good argument to be made to put Kolyada in, not Aliev — which inevitably leads to the conclusion that it WAS NOT a case of the Russian Fed not taking the event seriously, they just didn't use the same reasoning you did to decide who they thought gave them the best shot.

colormyworld240

Medalist
It IS hindsight. Even if you don't see it as such, it's clear that there was a good argument to be made to put Kolyada in, not Aliev — which inevitably leads to the conclusion that it WAS NOT a case of the Russian Fed not taking the event seriously, they just didn't use the same reasoning you did to decide who they thought gave them the best shot.

A lot of people on the Russian men's thread said they should put Aliev in instead of Kolyada, before the competition, including myself. It was clear from Euros. And practice all week. You may think it's hindsight, but many people did not. It certainly wasn't hindsight for me.

rain

Record Breaker
A lot of people on the Russian men's thread said they should put Aliev in instead of Kolyada, before the competition, including myself. It was clear from Euros. And practice all week. You may think it's hindsight, but many people did not. It certainly wasn't hindsight for me.

Once again, it's easy to be an armchair quarterback. Regardless of what you advocated, the fact that the Russian Federation made a different choice based on the evidence of the last few seasons and turned out to maybe be wrong (we do not know, and will never know, how Aliev would have done had he skated in the team event, it's purely speculative that he would have skated as well as he did in the individual) doesn't mean that they didn't take the competition seriously.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Once again, it's easy to be an armchair quarterback. Regardless of what you advocated, the fact that the Russian Federation made a different choice based on the evidence of the last few seasons and turned out to maybe be wrong (we do not know, and will never know, how Aliev would have done had he skated in the team event, it's purely speculative that he would have skated as well as he did in the individual) doesn't mean that they didn't take the competition seriously.

I never said they didn't take the competition seriously? I was merely stating I think they didn't make the correct choice, which is my opinion. Obviously it was regardless of what I advocated, I'm not the only who decided who they should put on the team...