Pairs Long Program | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Program

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Her knee is bleeding pretty badly...She fell during a side by side jump...She is lying on a stretcher!

beep_beep

Medalist
web tv is showing hockey...grrr

Did anyone see Sokolova's accident ? I'm hearing she cut her knee quite badly...

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I saw the fall...the commentators say that she cut her knee with her blade when she fell....Couldn't see it myself so clearly...I think Ekaterina Sokolova / Fedor Sokolov have withdrawn

Mafke

Medalist
Polish eurosport announcers say she caught the other skate on her leg (near the knee) when she feel, it looks kind of deep.

I really don't enjoy extreme danger skating so I don't know how much more of the pairs (formerly my favorite discipline) I'll watch : (

Sorry for next skaters up, goin on after a program stopping injury has to be even worse than going on after a standing ovation.

Medusa

Record Breaker
She was carried away, the ice was cleant up...

Mafke said:
I really don't enjoy extreme danger skating so I don't know how much more of the pairs (formerly my favorite discipline) I'll watch : (
Well, what happened to her can happen to every skater, including ice dancers.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sokolova's injury looked pretty painful. She was dripping blood onto the ice as she skated off with his help, and when she was on the stretcher you could see blood down her leg and on her skate. Both of them looked pretty shocked. They'd actually started pretty well, with a clean triple twisted and I think a throw 3S, but then things started going wrong. I hope it's not too serious.

Medusa's right - this injury was not on a pair element, but on the SBS sequence.

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
what a shame there is an injury like this during competition:frown:

Is pairs being shown live on any online tv channels right now?Don't think i get it on YLE 2 until 20:00.

Mafke

Medalist
Well, what happened to her can happen to every skater, including ice dancers.

I guess that makes it okay then!

Really, even if it was a singles element it just reminds me how dangerous pairs has become and makes me not want to watch. Call me squeamish but my response to injured skaters is to stop watching.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Really, even if it was a singles element it just reminds me how dangerous pairs has become and makes me not want to watch. Call me squeamish but my response to injured skaters is to stop watching.
Well, my reaction is to keep watching and wish a speedy recovery to anyone who is injured. Ekaterina Sokolova has put in years of hard work to get this far and I'm sure she'll want to continue skating and leave what happened today behind her.

I have tremendous respect for the skaters who work so hard for a few minutes on the ice. I can't imagine there's one among them who hasn't dealt with injuries at some point; this is part of being a world class athlete. The best thing is to take precautions and not be reckless, not to stop altogether. I don't think skaters are being reckless. What happened to Sokolova is bad luck and I wish her all the best.