Patrick Chan | Page 399 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I will post what I wrote in the competition thread here as I know that many of you do not venture outside this fan fest... I am only putting Patrick here of course.. if you want to read the whole men report, it's in the Canadian Nationals Senior Men FP thread..

Patrick...

I write in my booklet, GO PATRICK.... I show it to the ladies to show them that I believe in Patrick... and also, he tends to do very well when a quadster skates right before him and has a good performance... I'd like Patrick to skate after Kevin or Boyang all the time ;)

music starts... OMG.... seeing the journey live is amazing... I wish i had seen the chopin or elegy live ... and yes, i have seen blackbird live but in this kind of music, Patrick shines even more... just a few movements in and I feel it... Patrick, despite looking nervous, will reach his inner powers... he is in there....

4t-3t.. WOW... 3A ... WOW.... 4S OMG!!! he did it!!!!! i saw it!!!! OMG.... tonight, i got to see 3 specimens of quad... :) yay!!!! sequence is in and i am hoping he doesn't lose focus like at gpf after the 4salchow..... I don't know why he tripled the quad toe... he was perfectly fine in the air but Patrick knows what he can do and yes, he lost about 6-7 points there... but i couldn't care less... this is going to be a 2 quad 2 3A beautiful program... at least that's what I think...

then the 3A comes in...oh... this is interesting... 3A-2t-2l... never seen Patrick do this combo before... he usually tags those jumps after the lutz... actually, it's quite a nice jumping pass so i hope he keeps it like this... it allows for some room later... i will discuss that...

Patrick's skating is so amazing... everything is flowing, integrated... there are no signs of restraint.. just a pure marriage of movement, emotion and music... the journey is so special seen live... and i was already a fan of it, from seeing it on tv... 3loop.... 3lz-2t.... 3f... all the jumps are down... step sequence:love:

final spin is coming... the crowd is up already... it is the performance of Canadian Nationals... it's over 200... without his 3rd quad... his PCS are well deserved and if you don't think so... fine.. take off a mark or two... still over 200... the reality is that if he skates like this, anywhere in the world, he will get those marks... it was patrick chan at his best, sort of like he was at 4CC last year.

a few thoughts : I saw Patrick do different combos in the warm up... i think that he is getting more open to remain competitive here... as there are more risks than before in his programs, i think he is indeed going to play with the combos.. if he cannot tag the 3t after the 4t, he has done it after the 3A... he does it after the 3Lz as well.. so he is keeping his options open...

i also think that removing the 3 jump combo from the very end of the program is a great idea... the end is much nicer with less jumps as he focuses on the music, choreography, steps and spins... we don't need a 3 jump combo there... and with the lutz being sometimes iffy, sometimes the 2loop at the end was a bit tilted... i prefer it the way he did it tonight...

i think Patrick has fixed many things since GPF... he constantly tries to better himself and to improve his marks. that's the sign of a true champion.. just like D/R keep doing as well.

I am impressed with how quickly he included the 4S into his programs and landed 2 in a row ... wow...

As I said, it was a special moment for me. I wanted to see Patrick compete once in my life... and if my life may be ongoing for a little or long while, Patrick's competitive career will mostly end after PC.. whether or not he wins... if he skates like tonight, I will be satisfied. I feel inspired and motivated like I haven't been to accomplish myself further. He is a true inspiration... Ladies next to me jumped just as high as I did when he finished... there was so much love for Patrick in that arena ... so much that it would wash down anything negative said about him/ his skating... a true model.. a true hero.

Ladies tell stories about when their kids were at Granite club and Patrick would skate with Mr. Colson... how Patrick was mesmerized by him and in awe with his teaching... and how he would better himself everyday..... and i hope that Patrick will do just the same, mesmerize a generation of talent, when he is done what he needs to do with his own skating career....

At the end of the night I think to myself as the medal ceremonies go on... WOW... look at the Canadian national team... this is probably the strongest team we will send at worlds in a very long time... may it generate 3 spots in every discipline for the Olympics.. .may it keep healthy and performing well... may it keep strong and united in the team event ;)

I hope you do not mind the Canadian enthusiasm here... it was our Nationals after all...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
PS seeing it on youtube is nice... but with Patrick, you gotta see him live.. I hope that all of you have the chance I had tonight... it's incredible to see Patrick move on the ice... nobody does that... and it does translate on tv but not as much... do not forget that a tv is flat.. and Patrick isn't ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the whole rink was shaking with emotion ...but seriously, that's the thing... Patrick is so quick and moves in so many directions with ALL of his body, coming from the feet up, even in the fingertips, that it must be hard to film. I hope all his fans have a chance to see him once. Magical.
That was beautiful. But is it just me or the camera was shaky?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
4everchan, remember my wish for you to see at least one flawless program from Patrick, preferably the LP?

You're welcome. :)

I knew my wish would come true. They usually do. That's why I'm careful what I wish for and I look out for Patrick's wish.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan, remember my wish for you to see at least one flawless program from Patrick, preferably the LP?

You're welcome. :)

I knew my wish would come true. They usually do. That's why I'm careful what I wish for and I look out for Patrick's wish.

Thanks vb. Keep wishing for my happiness ;) seeing a flawless chiddy lp is truly a special experience. Hoping fir more.

Btw. Something i did not mention. Patrick's lp is so well built that time disappears. When he hit the last spin, i thought " what? Already?"

Also, i wonder why he got a V for his last spin.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you so much, 4everchan! I quoted and linked to your report on my blog post. I definitely need to go see Patrick live very soon!

For me as a long-distance fan, it's still nice to be able to notice on video the differences in his LP between this one and previous ones. I even noticed when he was behind and had to cut some movements to catch up with the music. But he did it all with such calm and presence of mind that when I pointed it out to others, they couldn't tell. By the time I went to bed last night, I was enjoying his victory like this: :) I wouldn't be surprised if he was too excited to sleep, ha.

Patrick's name means "noble", and he has proven that despite the struggles, he is a noble athlete and artist through and through. Oh yeah, and he belongs to a "great group" of Canadian skaters! :agree:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you so much, 4everchan! I quoted and linked to your report on my blog post. I definitely need to go see Patrick live very soon!

For me as a long-distance fan, it's still nice to be able to notice on video the differences in his LP between this one and previous ones. I even noticed when he was behind and had to cut some movements to catch up with the music. But he did it all with such calm and presence of mind that when I pointed it out to others, they couldn't tell. By the time I went to bed last night, I was enjoying his victory like this: :) I wouldn't be surprised if he was too excited to sleep, ha.

Patrick's name means "noble", and he has proven that despite the struggles, he is a noble athlete and artist through and through. Oh yeah, and he belongs to a "great group" of Canadian skaters! :agree:

Thanks Vivley :) your blog is very well filled with tons of tweets, interviews and information. You are also inspiring!!!! So much work. What I prefer though, is the artwork :) I hope Patrick notices it in the ocean of tweets he will receive.

I wish you will get to see him live, and I truly recommend to see a LP if only one program. Journey is just amazingly built. Now I really want to go back in time and see the Chopin. I think exhibition programs are lighter and more fun... which is perhaps not where ART chines at its utmost.

I have no idea where you are located but next year, there will be most likely some chiddy in Regina (Skate Canada) and Vancouver ( Nationals)... Vancouver is a gorgeous city to visit if you can go.... I really hope you get to see him compete.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks Vivley :) your blog is very well filled with tons of tweets, interviews and information. You are also inspiring!!!! So much work. What I prefer though, is the artwork :) I hope Patrick notices it in the ocean of tweets he will receive.

I wish you will get to see him live, and I truly recommend to see a LP if only one program. Journey is just amazingly built. Now I really want to go back in time and see the Chopin. I think exhibition programs are lighter and more fun... which is perhaps not where ART chines at its utmost.

I have no idea where you are located but next year, there will be most likely some chiddy in Regina (Skate Canada) and Vancouver ( Nationals)... Vancouver is a gorgeous city to visit if you can go.... I really hope you get to see him compete.

Thank you, 4everchan! Glad you like the artwork. Yes, Vancouver would be closest to me, plus it's where my SIL is from, so I will start making plans now. :agree: I am so grateful that he still competes, since he confessed last night that he dislikes competing.

All, I made more updates to my blog post(s) and pages because I found a lot more photos and video clips on Instagram. Here's a fancam of the first part of Patrick's performance. It's incredible that you can still hear his blades even that far up in the stands!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPkmB4Hhq8N/

Also, I found a much better quality video of the men's FS program from last night. The better picture and sound quality really bring out Patrick's performance more. I now understand that we need to capture his performances in 4D!

https://youtu.be/alg9vDg21jE?t=2671

And for those who love cuteness, this photo of Patrick holding a baby (but from a different angle) was just posted yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPjYUwAjIQy/

See my latest blog post for more Patrick stuff that I found!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And for those who love cuteness, this photo of Patrick holding a baby (but from a different angle) was just posted yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPjYUwAjIQy/

Awwwww. Am I bad to say Patrick is the super cute one in this picture?

eta. And thank you for the fancam video. The good ones, like this one, show the "big picture" and how he covers the ice, flying into those big jumps, rotating so fast in what seems like much less time than in the official video.

Watching the other video now. Thanks again.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the fan cam is taken just a few rows of seats higher than where i was.. i was ice center but a bit lower... i think i even recognize the hair of the ladies behind hehe.. you can hear me cheer in there LOL...

so it gives you a sense of how patrick moves yet, this is the opening...he is setting up for jumps here... What is truly mesmerizing is when he skates... the steps... the choreography....I am still elated... cannot sleep....

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Awwwww. Am I bad to say Patrick is the super cute one in this picture?

Ha, my first thought when I saw that pic was that Patrick looked like a HK movie star, seriously.

FYI, the other thing I'm seeing mentioned on Twitter (now that Nathan and Karen are the US champs), is people calling Patrick, Nathan, and Karen the three Chen/Chan siblings (陳家三兄妹). Lol, I wonder if Patrick knows that?

the fan cam is taken just a few rows of seats higher than where i was.. i was ice center but a bit lower... i think i even recognize the hair of the ladies behind hehe.. you can hear me cheer in there LOL...

so it gives you a sense of how patrick move yet, this is the opening...he is setting up for jumps here... What is truly mesmerizing is when he skates... the steps... the choreography....I am still elated... cannot sleep....

Cooll! I think on my blog post I have another video right above this one that shows the spins and steps.

Now I really should go to bed. I think I could blog about Patrick for a full-time job...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks Vivley... i just put a photo i took of patrick on the podium but it's too small... in it we can see how emotional he is... oh well... i will keep it for a little while... i am so used to the green background though ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ha, my first thought when I saw that pic was that Patrick looked like a HK movie star, seriously.

One who steals and melts hearts. :)

FYI, the other thing I'm seeing mentioned on Twitter (now that Nathan and Karen are the US champs), is people calling Patrick, Nathan, and Karen the three Chen/Chan siblings (陳家三兄妹). Lol, I wonder if Patrick knows that?

As expressed in the Chinese Names thread, I like Os' interpretation of Patrick's Chinese as Great Group Of Chans. After all, he started the Chan/Chen Dynasty rocking the figure skating world today. :rock: I acknowledged though that Lu was the original Great Chen.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
thanks Vivley... i just put a photo i took of patrick on the podium but it's too small... in it we can see how emotional he is... oh well... i will keep it for a little while... i am so used to the green background though ;)

When I logged in, for a moment I didn't recognize you, because I was used to the green!

One who steals and melts hearts. :)

Speaking of which, here's another photo of Patrick at practice a couple of days ago, laughing while sitting by kids.

https://twitter.com/19903638A/status/822404230862540801

In contrast, the kids look so serious! :laugh:

I keep findings things so I need to update a bunch of blog posts today!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i may have to go back to the green... especially since we don't see patrick as well here... but yeah... it is a special photo....he looks deeply moved.
When I logged in, for a moment I didn't recognize you, because I was used to the green!

Speaking of which, here's another photo of Patrick at practice a couple of days ago, laughing while sitting by kids.

https://twitter.com/19903638A/status/822404230862540801

In contrast, the kids look so serious! :laugh:

I keep findings things so I need to update a bunch of blog posts today!

TGee

Record Breaker
All these comments about the need to see Patrick in person are, I think, so central to some of the challenges of the sport.

I am one who has seen him live, and agrees that I can understand how he can be underappreciated without that experience. Sublime is not what video captures easily...

But Alaine Chartrand's Pina SP [from the Wim Wenders 3D film that is an elegy to the dancer Pina Baush] made me have a thought this weekend...

What if two things were possible for the global skating audience, so that they could appreciate Patrick and other great skaters....?

1] A 3D movie were made with some of the top skaters and their programs.... AND/OR

2] Some of the major ISU competitions were streamed into select movie theatres simultaneously, in the way that the Metropolitan Opera has done.

Gack! I really want Patrick recorded for posterity in a way that truly shows the full richness of his skating... What would have to happen to make it so?