Plushenko's divorce | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's divorce

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I thought Tatiana has engaged with her coach. How are they?

Thankfully, LOL, that ended right after the Olympics. I say 'thankfully' as with a 24 year age difference...the changes of long-term success were slim and if Tat wants kids someday, starting a family with a guy who by then would be in his 50's is not fair to children.

I don't like to comment on affairs except to say that they seem to be the norm for the male Russian skaters I know...whether they are married, engaged or just have a serious girlfriend. They have many good qualities, lol...faithfulness just isn't one of them.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
(Still waiting for Shizuka jet-skiing. :) )

Hey MM - there is one up now (Shizuka's album shot on my website) and I will try and get the rest up tonight/tomorrow of her out on the jet ski, with Johnny, and with her puppy. Sometimes it takes awhile as I have to get my reclusive webmaster to create a new album before I can upload photos.

Okay - back to Plushy's woes........;)

sussweden

Rinkside
starting a family with a guy who by then would be in his 50's is not fair to children.

Nothing to do with this subject about marriages/divorces. But since my father was 51 when I was born I couldn´t help commenting. I have never seen anything unfair in it . Should not make things personal but I just couldn´t help ;)

/Lena

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Let's see (warnng unfounded sidewalk psychoanalysis ahead, do not proceed of such offends you...)

On the one hand we have a rich daddy's girl and on the other a elite athelete known for his mental toughness in one of the most mentally demanding sports around.

It sounds to me like neither one is going to naturally be very good at empathy and compromise (both essential arts in any long term emotional relationship). I'm not surprised this didn't work out. Probably the only way either will be a success at marriage is by marrying somone who'll give in about 100 % of the time and/or someone with thick skin and a huge amount of patience ....

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Nothing to do with this subject about marriages/divorces. But since my father was 51 when I was born I couldn´t help commenting. I have never seen anything unfair in it . Should not make things personal but I just couldn´t help ;)

/Lena

On this same side note, my father was 54 when I was born and 61 when my younger sister was born. "Fair" has nothing to do with it, age isn't what makes a parent "good" or "bad." :)

Concerning Plushenko, I think it's sad whenever a marriage fails and especially when babies/children are involved. Hopefully they can come to some amicable terms for the benefit of the child.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
On this same side note, my father was 54 when I was born and 61 when my younger sister was born. "Fair" has nothing to do with it, age isn't what makes a parent "good" or "bad." :)
A friend of mine married someone 20 years her senior, with two kids from previous marriage - let's just say there were plenty of nay-sayers at the time. Not only are they very happy together, but he is an awesome dad to their lovely 10-year-old girl! (knock-on-wood)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Regarding the aged reproducing:

I guess it's a personal opinion. I believe to have a child when you know you'll be pushing 70 (!) or 80 (!!!) when they are just graduating from high school, is unfair to the child..but of course if this was the case with with someone who experienced this, then of course you will disagree - that's to be expected. Anyone is going to feel 'happy just to be here' regardless of their parent's age. If that were the case with my parents, perhaps I'd feel the same way too because I would have that built-in bias.

Age does not guarantee anything - yes, I'm well aware of that. My Dad died when I was only five, and he was still a relatively young man. But nothing will change my mind that OVERALL - for the MAJORITY - if we became a world of senior citizens giving birth, then it would not be good for children who in many cases would grow up with sick parents, or no parents at all. Okay - don't want to change the scintillating Plushenko subject off topic....so back to Plushy. And one thing I notice about the the great Russian skaters - Plushenko, Yagudin, Abt - their parents had them fairly young. Let's be honest - with the age of life expectancy being as critically low as it is for Russian men, there is a good chance that if their fathers had been old at their birth that they would not be alive today. There we go, LOL...back on topic.

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
A friend of mine married someone 20 years her senior, with two kids from previous marriage - let's just say there were plenty of nay-sayers at the time. Not only are they very happy together, but he is an awesome dad to their lovely 10-year-old girl! (knock-on-wood)

I agree that it can work or I wouldn't have spent so many years in a crazy on again off again relationship with someone substantially younger than myself. :love: (but that doesn't mean I believe that they are normal, healthy, or an odds-on favorite for longevity....)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
And one thing I notice about the the great Russian skaters - Plushenko, Yagudin, Abt - their parents had them fairly young.
It's just that people tended to have kids very early back them. My mom was told by some doctors that she was too old to be having her first baby (me) at the age of 25!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Oh, that's funny - the other extreme! Sasha Abt told me the reason he had his son at age 24 was so that his son could enjoy having young parents.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it's just a cultural thing, my mom was close to 40 and all of the doctors (Save one) here in Alaska told her to get an abortion because they wouldn't take her as a paitent...

22 years later I prove that some doctors know very little...

sussweden

Rinkside
I got the feeling it is more common in Russia to have childen when you´re young. But then again I live in Stocholm, the city with most singles in the whole world and the averge age of what 30-35 year for women having their first child.

/Lena

maria 05

Spectator
That is funny enjoy having young parents as Abt said. I however have enjoyed(very much actually ) having old parents.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Regarding the aged reproducing:

I can not tell you how much humor my father would find in that phrase. He was less "aged" at 70 than many men are at 50. :laugh:

I'm sorry for the loss of your father at such a young age, but you actually make my point. Age is irrelevant, some parents live to ripe old ages, some don't. You lost your father when you were very, very young, even though he was a young man himself, and I had mine well into adulthood, even though he was "aged."

My father used to say that all of life was a gamble; you pay your money, take your chances and pray that it all works out well. In regards to Plushenko and his wife, I don't claim to have any inside knowledge. Who knows, perhaps the two of them just didn't communicate their ideas of what they expected of their future together well enough prior to the marriage. Maybe Maria did change radically into a scheming, conniving person after she had Plushenko "hooked." Maybe Plushenko bloated with fame and became extremely demanding and arrogant after his Olympic win. Perhaps they WERE just too young and neither one of them realized that the day-to-day business of marriage required commitment, compromise and work and they thought it would all be "happily ever after." Money, fame, privilege and good looks don't guarantee anything. The only two people in the world who really know what went wrong are Plushenko and Maria and they might not even be sure of what went wrong themselves.

The bottom line, in my mind, is that there is a baby boy who (unless his parents come to some workable understanding) may never learn courage, strength, determination or the ability to focus and work hard, from the father who is extremely equipped to teach him these wonderful qualities, and that's the shame, IMHO.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I agree fundamentally with everything you're saying (except the part about Plushenko, LOL, he's always perfect to me). Age can be a crap shoot - agree.

But, in addition to Dad's early demise, by the time I was into my thirties my Mom -because she had me slightly later in life - had already develped Alzheimer's and I've gotten to spend the last decade dealing with that. If I'd been the first of six children, instead of the last, I could have enjoyed young, healthy parents - as my older/oldest siblings did - instead of the opposite - no parent on one side, and severe Alzheimer's on the other. Sorry I feel that way, but I do...I wish I could have had young parents and I'm glad I had my daughter really young so she will never hopefully (!!!!) be burdened with having to take care of me.

Now, back to Plush...I think he'll be a good father - he has a warm heart - I just hope the ex doesn't make it too difficult for him to be able to have normal interactions with his son.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My mother is 61 this year... she has me, she also has my brother who is 12.

Neither one of us finds it unfair. Do I wish my mom had had more in common with my peers parents? Sure. But considering it all, she has far more wisdom to give me than if she had me when she was so much younger.

My mom is younger than ever in a lot of ways, just watching some of her antics makes you wonder. If, God forbid, I would have to take care of her it would be difficult but it's something every child has to go through at some point in their life. I just look at the possibility as 'my turn'. She took care of me, and raised me... now in her last years I may have the opportunity and honor to care for her...

Do I hope she ever goes downhill? No. But I'm willing to step up. Even if it's tomorrow and I'm *only* 22...

and while I'm on this tangent, my mother's mom had her when she was... 18... and my mother was raising 3 siblings and taking care of her mom by age 17... so a 'youthful' parent can have the same issues...

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
...so a 'youthful' parent can have the same issues...

That's exactly my point; anything can happen at any age including death and illness. Age is not always the mitigating factor, and I don't think I ever saw taking care of someone one I loved as a "burden."

It seems as though it would be an ideal world if all parents were young and healthy, but I would not trade all the wisdom and insight and gifts of the spirit my parents gave me just to have them younger when I was growing up.

(except the part about Plushenko, LOL, he's always perfect to me).

(snip)

Now, back to Plush...I think he'll be a good father - he has a warm heart - I just hope the ex doesn't make it too difficult for him to be able to have normal interactions with his son.

And with all due respect, anyone who thinks that any other human being is perfect (joking or not) is either wearing blinders or not being honest with themselves.

Considering the determination Plushenko showed by competing while he was so injured, if he decides he wants to be part of his son's life, I don't see him letting anything or anyone stand in his way. It's really all up to him.