Predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Predictions

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, here goes. Where do we stand in the ladies.

Suguri's a better bet than Kostner at this point. But both should still be considered for Medals. Kostner is pure hit or miss, but in this field she'd have to tank to sink in the standings.

Flatt, I believe, will be the highest placed American. Will that be enough for a Bronze? we'll have to see.

Czisny has started off on a good note, but we've seen this before from her. Probably as much (if not more) of a wild card as Kostner.

As for Meissner, another opportunity to bring her confidence out of the basement. She's gonna need it for pressure-packed Nats.

Everyone else- would be surprised at a Podium finish.

berrycute

On the Ice
Well, here goes. Where do we stand in the ladies.

Suguri's a better bet than Kostner at this point. But both should still be considered for Medals. Kostner is pure hit or miss, but in this field she'd have to tank to sink in the standings.

I don't know about that. Kostner pretty much always gets better as the season goes on. Last season, her score at CoC was pretty much the same as this season in Canada. But last season, she got up and won the NHK trophy (not by much, but she still won). I think there's a strong possibility she's going to do the same thing here in Russia, provided she's not injured or something. Meier too does better as the season goes on, so she might medal here, but she hasn't managed to beat Kostner outright since Worlds 06 so the safe money is she won't do so here. And I'm just not sold on Suguri's comeback yet. I don't think she could do any better than her first outing, but I think everyone else will!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't know about that. Kostner pretty much always gets better as the season goes on. Last season, her score at CoC was pretty much the same as this season in Canada. But last season, she got up and won the NHK trophy (not by much, but she still won). I think there's a strong possibility she's going to do the same thing here in Russia, provided she's not injured or something. Meier too does better as the season goes on, so she might medal here, but she hasn't managed to beat Kostner outright since Worlds 06 so the safe money is she won't do so here. And I'm just not sold on Suguri's comeback yet. I don't think she could do any better than her first outing, but I think everyone else will!

Meier can't medal here - she's withdrawn.

Kinga

Medalist
My guesses are the mixture of wishful thinking and predictions

Men:

1. Verner
2. Abbott
3. Joubert
4. Preaubert,
I think that Berntsson, Li, KVDP and Ribbon will give solid/nice performances too.

WOMEN
1. Kostner (I would prefer Czissny or Flatt to win, but I guess Kostner will fight back)
2. Flatt
3. Suguri/Czissny

PAIRS
1. Tatiana Volosozhar / Stanislav Morozov (I think that either Zhangs or K/S take this one, but I would LOVE to see V/M to win!)
2. Zhang Dan / Zhang Hao
3. Yuko Kawaguchi / Alexander Smirnov

DANCE
1. Oksana Domnina / Maxim Shabalin (no way they could lose this one, unfortunately)
2. Meryl Davis / Charlie White
3. Jana Khoklova / Sergei Novitski

mskater93

Record Breaker
The list of ladies is on the previous page of this thread. Na-Young Kim has replaced her.

tilak

On the Ice
Ladies
1. Kostner
2. Suguri
3. Flatt

Men
1. Joubert
2. Verner
3. Abbott

Pairs
1. Zhang and Zhang
2. Kawaguchi/Smirnov
3. Volosozhar/Morozov

Dance
1. Domnina/Shabalin
2. Davis/White
3. Khokhlova/Novitski

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My predictions for the men:

1. Jeremy Abbott
2. Tomas Verner
3. Brian Joubert
4. Alban Préaubert
5. Sergei Voronov

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
My predictions for the men:

1. Jeremy Abbott
2. Tomas Verner
3. Brian Joubert
4. Alban Préaubert
5. Sergei Voronov

I just have a bad feeling this time since Jeremy is cursed by Pj Kwong:no:

Ladies:

1. Alissa Czisny (wishful thinking:))
2. Carolina Kostner
3. Fumie Suguri (luv her, but prefer Lori to chereo her LP)

Men:

1. Brian Joubert
2. Sergei Voronov (don't think he's fully recovered from the injury yet, but wish him luck on home ice)
3. Jeremy Abbott (the pj curse:eek:...)

Pairs:

1. Zhang/Zhang
2. Volosozhar/Morozov
3. Kawaguchi/Smirnov

Dance (not much fun in predicting this round):

1. Domnina/Shabalin
2. Davis/White
3. Khokhlova/Novitski

Last edited:

Sdongxie

On the Ice
Men
Jeremy ABBOTT
Brian JOUBERT
Tomas VERNER
Alban PREAUBERT
Kevin VAN DER PERREN
Chengjiang Li
Sergei VORONOV

Ladies
Rachael FLATT
Alissa CZISNY
Carolina KOSTNER
Fumie SUGURI
Julia SEBESTYEN
Kimmie MEISSNER

Pairs
Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG
Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV
Yuko KAWAGUCHI / Alexander SMIRNOV

Ice Dance
Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN
Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI
Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just have a bad feeling this time since Jeremy is cursed by Pj Kwong:no:

Oh dear :banging:. I made my prediction before she published her blog, so maybe that might counteract her spell???

oh gosh...what do you mean?:eek:

This is what I wrote on the TEB "Predictions" thread:

I only follow the guys, so I can't speak for the other disciplines, but I've noticed that PJ Kwong's picks for the men are far too "obvious" during a season where unpredictability is the norm. I think she failed to take into account of the fact that this is the Year of the Underdog! ;) I only became a figure skating fan in January, but so far I've done a much better job predicting the male winners than she has! :p

Her pick for SA was Johnny Weir: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/10/the_grand_prix_season_begins.html

Her pick for SC was Evan Lysacek: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/10/youth_will_be_on_display_at_sk.html

Her pick for CoC was Tomas Verner: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/11/ice_dance_front_and_centre_at.html

I think Brian Joubert might be cursed! :eek: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/11/stiff_competition_expected_at_1.html

By choosing Abbott as the winner of CoR, she may have doomed him :frown: : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/11/chipeur_looking_to_break_throu.html

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Men
1. Joubert
2. Preaubert
3. Abbott
4. Verner
5. Voronov
6. Uspenski

Ladies
1. Suguri
2. Czisny
3. Kostner
4. Meissner
5. Sebestyen
6. Gerboldt

Pairs
1. Zhang & Zhang
2. Kawaguchi & Smirnov
3. Volosozhar & Morozov
4. Iliushechkina & Maisuradze
5. Ozerova & Enbert

Dance
1. Domnina & Shabalin
2. Khokhlova & Novitski
3. Davis & White
4. Cappellini & Lanotte
5. Zadorozhniuk & Verbillo

Final Flight
Ladies:

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Sarah Meier
3. Fumie Suguri

Men:

1. Jeremy Abbott
2. Brian Joubert
3. Sergei Voronov

Pairs:

1. Kawaguchi/Smirnov
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morozov

Dance:

1. Domnina/Shabalin
2. Davis/White
3. Cappellini/Lanotte

Eevun

Final Flight
I don't have the energy to do this... Only the men this time.

1. Abbott
2. Joubert
3. Verner
4. Preaubert

8-9. Kristoffer Berntsson :rock:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've just looked at the results for the Men's SP, and I have to say: darn that PJ Kwong for cursing Jeremy! :cry: I thought I might be able to protect him, but her hex is too powerful! I'll have tweak my predictions since I didn't expect she'd go after him. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little ;); I'm sure Kwong didn't mean any "harm" when she selects the winners, but there's no denying that she has a negative influence on the male athletes. Please stop mentioning them on your blog, PJ! :no:)

My sixth sense wasn't completely off, though, because I did post this comment in another thread 2 weeks ago (so about a week before TEB):

I think Joubert will make it to the GPF

I didn't anticipate Brian would finish off the podium at TEB, and as some of the more knowledgeable posters have pointed out, he needs to win CoR to get to the GPF. I failed to take that into account with my initial guess. D'oh! :eek:

1. Brian Joubert
2. Tomas Verner
3. Jeremy Abbott
4. Alban Préaubert
5. Adam Rippon

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I've just looked at the results for the Men's SP, and I have to say: darn that PJ Kwong for cursing Jeremy! :cry: I thought I might be able to protect him, but her hex is too powerful! I'll have tweak my predictions since I didn't expect she'd go after him. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little ;); I'm sure Kwong didn't mean any "harm" when she selects the winners, but there's no denying that she has a negative influence on the male athletes. Please stop mentioning them on your blog, PJ! :no:)

Who is this PJ Kwong that you guys are talking about and what did she do?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada