Random Confessions | Page 186 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hate children.
I am now in that age where my own son is almost grown up and the little kids are just annoying - at least on the ice. Young teenagers -even more annoying - older teenagers - not as annoying, but also annoying. I want my own ice. I want to be able to train my stuff without constantly being run over by those little creatures who are much more forceful than they look, and I never again want to be run over by a 12year old ice bear pusher who with innocent eyes looks at me lying on the ice: "Are you okay?" No, I'm not. I want you to be locked in a closet until I'm done here.
They are lawlessly skating around without any regard for old ladies like me, chasing each other full speed without looking... and when I want to hug my circle properly but in the wrong direction I feel so guilty... because then I am in the way...
There is no possibility for me to get ice of my own, it's all crowded to very crowded public sessions, and I'm too old for this!!
At this point I'm just waiting for the ice season to end. I need a half-year long break to heal my tortured body and mind.
I feel for you. We just went to the pool, my sister to swim laps and me to do my physio, and we forgot the last (and big) school swimming carnival is on today, thirty billion small persons racing round, divebombing and being hustled out of the program pool. I keep reminding myself that without the little wretches dears and school contracts the council probably afford to keep the place running... but thank god next week the carnival(s) is over and we can get blessed peace again.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The events of this week have made me realise just how bad my knowledge of North American geography is. When I heard somebody mention in a report that the bridge that collapsed was part of the main road on the East coast, I went "eh?! Don't you mean West coast?" I would have sworn blind that Baltimore was in Washington state. So north-west corner rather than north-east corner.

And it started me thinking. In terms of American states, I am only able to point out where 10 of the 52 are (Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and Hawaii). I know where the old Illinois Country part of French Louisiana was, but I couldn't tell you whereabouts in it the current Illinois state is. Or, for that matter, what other states it was divided into. And I know that New Jersey, New York and the District Of Colombia are somewhere in the north-east corner, but I couldn't point out where exactly.

That said, I'm better at naming capitals. Not all of them, but a good number. I do take pride in knowing that Sacremento is the capital of California, Tallahassee is the capital of Florida, and Albany is the capital of New York state, rather than the better known cities in those states. And that New York city is actually in New Jersey rather than New York state, but is not the capital (couldn't tell you where is the capital, though).

With Mexico, it is even worse. I could point out Baja California, and that is it. I know that Chihuahua is somewhere along the top, and Mexico City is somewhere in the middle, but not exactly where in either case. I could point out the Yucatán Peninsula, but couldn't tell you how it was divided up. And as for the other countries in Central America, I haven't a clue which is which. I know Belize is a strip along the eastern coast of Central America, so I could probably point it out if I was shown a map. But as for the other countries, nope.

I'm much better with Canada. I think I could identify all of the provinces / territories apart from the small ones in the south-east corner. But if you were to ask me to name their capitals, I could only do Québec, Ontario and Nova Scotia. There are too many where the city I associate most with the province / territory isn't actually the capital.

As somebody who loves geography and history, and who loves looking at maps, reading through this post has made me feel ashamed now. But, speaking generally rather than for myself, I suppose that is what comes with having really big countries. You don't get as familiar with the component parts. If all those parts were independent countries, we would be much more familiar with them.

I don't like having really big countries. I prefer having lots of small countries instead. Apart from anything else, more countries means more people get the opportunity to compete in international sporting events! ;) :biggrin:

And I am sure we all want as many skaters as possible that meet the TES minimum requirements to get to compete at the Majors.

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The events of this week have made me realise just how bad my knowledge of North American geography is. When I heard somebody mention in a report that the bridge that collapsed was part of the main road on the East coast, I went "eh?! Don't you mean West coast?" I would have sworn blind that Baltimore was in Washington state. So north-west corner rather than north-east corner.

And it started me thinking. In terms of American states, I am only able to point out where 10 of the 52 are (Florida, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and Hawaii). I know where the old Illinois Country part of French Louisiana was, but I couldn't tell you whereabouts in it the current Illinois state is. Or, for that matter, what other states it was divided into. And I know that New Jersey, New York and the District Of Colombia are somewhere in the north-east corner, but I couldn't point out where exactly.

That said, I'm better at naming capitals. Not all of them, but a good number. I do take pride in knowing that Sacremento is the capital of California, Tallahassee is the capital of Florida, and Albany is the capital of New York state, rather than the better known cities in those states. And that New York city is actually in New Jersey rather than New York state, but is not the capital (couldn't tell you where is the capital, though).

With Mexico, it is even worse. I could point out Baja California, and that is it. I know that Chihuahua is somewhere along the top, and Mexico City is somewhere in the middle, but not exactly where in either case. I could point out the Yucatán Peninsula, but couldn't tell you how it was divided up. And as for the other countries in Central America, I haven't a clue which is which. I know Belize is a strip along the eastern coast of Central America, so I could probably point it out if I was shown a map. But as for the other countries, nope.

I'm much better with Canada. I think I could identify all of the provinces / territories apart from the small ones in the south-east corner. But if you were to ask me to name their capitals, I could only do Québec, Ontario and Nova Scotia. There are too many where the city I associate most with the province / territory isn't actually the capital.

As somebody who loves geography and history, and who loves looking at maps, reading through this post has made me feel ashamed now. But, speaking generally rather than for myself, I suppose that is what comes with having really big countries. You don't get as familiar with the component parts. If all those parts were independent countries, we would be much more familiar with them.

I don't like having really big countries. I prefer having lots of small countries instead. Apart from anything else, more countries means more people get the opportunity to compete in international sporting events! ;) :biggrin:

And I am sure we all want as many skaters as possible that meet the TES minimum requirements to get to compete at the Majors.

CaroLiza_fan
:console:I've lived almost all of my life in Canada and don't think I could pick out any more American states than you on a blank map. Only been across the border, about a half hour's drive south from my home, three times that I recall, to sing, to skate, and to be in my skating partner's wedding. Canada is easier for others to learn the bigger provinces because there are so few of them compared to the divisions of other countries (and yet Canada is the second largest country in the world after Russia). Hint about recognizing those smaller provinces on the Atlantic -- Prince Edward Island is the itty bitty island off the coast with a name longer than it is :). Like in Scotland, where there's a joke that there's a roadside sign with the name Kirkcudbrightshire. At one end of the sign it says "Welcome to.." and at the other end it says "You are leaving.." :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

CaroLiza_fan
I hate to break this to you but there's only 50 states that make up the US. ;)

US has territories but they aren't states.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:console:I've lived almost all of my life in Canada and don't think I could pick out any more American states than you on a blank map.

That makes me feel better.

Only been across the border, about a half hour's drive south from my home, three times that I recall, to sing, to skate, and to be in my skating partner's wedding.

Wow. I'm a similar distance from the border on my island. And although I went Down South quite a bit when I was younger, I have only been back a handful of times in the past 20 years. I just didn't get the chance because of other things going on.

I remember going on a field trip in when I was at Uni in 2006, and passing comment to the lecturer about not being confident with the Euro coins yet, as they were still using the Punt the previous time I was across the border. This was about 7 years after they adopted the Euro. And he was genuinely shocked that I hadn't been down for so long. And I felt so embarrassed.

Canada is easier for others to learn the bigger provinces because there are so few of them compared to the divisions of other countries (and yet Canada is the second largest country in the world after Russia). Hint about recognizing those smaller provinces on the Atlantic -- Prince Edward Island is the itty bitty island off the coast with a name longer than it is :). Like in Scotland, where there's a joke that there's a roadside sign with the name Kirkcudbrightshire. At one end of the sign it says "Welcome to.." and at the other end it says "You are leaving.." :laugh:

Dare I admit that I forgot about Prince Edward Island being a province... :slink:

I have to admit, I did laugh at your joke. It's like that village in Wales with the ridiculously long name. Here's the post when I mentioned it during Europeans:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/3231910

As for Kirkcudbrightshire, the Scottish side of my family originated next door in Dumfriesshire! :biggrin:

I hate to break this to you but there's only 50 states that make up the US. ;)

US has territories but they aren't states.

Hang on, was it not always 50, and then Alaska and Hawaii joined to make it 52?

I always remembered it as there being a state for each week of the year.

Don't tell me this is another case of me memorising the wrong thing! :palmf: :drama:

Like the year when I finally got fed up of getting confused over which way the clocks changed and decided to memorise it, and the newspaper I used got it the wrong way around. They said "the clocks spring back on Sunday". And even though they printed an apology the following week, it has been stuck in my head the wrong way ever since.

Which reminds me. The clocks change this weekend... :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I remember my older brothers having new bright coloured North American maps for high school when the USA stopped being "the 48 states" and added those two. Google tells me that was 1959. Before I was born, they'd learned in school about Canada's nine provinces, and then in 1949 Newfoundland became the 10th province and they'd had a special party at school. The children all sang Nfld's "national anthem" from when the island of Newfoundland and mainland area of Labrador were a separate British dominion.

Don't tell me this is another case of me memorising the wrong thing! :palmf: :drama:

Like the year when I finally got fed up of getting confused over which way the clocks changed and decided to memorise it, and the newspaper I used got it the wrong way around. They said "the clocks spring back on Sunday". And even though they printed an apology the following week, it has been stuck in my head the wrong way ever since.

Which reminds me. The clocks change this weekend...

:eek:
And I can finally get synchronized for phone calls with my kids who live in Scotland and the Isle of Man. Our clocks changed three weeks ago; theirs didn't.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Not me, getting back home from Montreal on Monday and already looking at next season's calendar...
...and realising that 6 competitions are pretty much locked in and 2 are desired to be there...

Question is...can I do it?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That makes me feel better.

Wow. I'm a similar distance from the border on my island. And although I went Down South quite a bit when I was younger, I have only been back a handful of times in the past 20 years. I just didn't get the chance because of other things going on.

I remember going on a field trip in when I was at Uni in 2006, and passing comment to the lecturer about not being confident with the Euro coins yet, as they were still using the Punt the previous time I was across the border. This was about 7 years after they adopted the Euro. And he was genuinely shocked that I hadn't been down for so long. And I felt so embarrassed.

Dare I admit that I forgot about Prince Edward Island being a province... :slink:

I have to admit, I did laugh at your joke. It's like that village in Wales with the ridiculously long name. Here's the post when I mentioned it during Europeans:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/3231910

As for Kirkcudbrightshire, the Scottish side of my family originated next door in Dumfriesshire! :biggrin:

I always remembered it as there being a state for each week of the year.

Which reminds me. The clocks change this weekend... :eek:

CaroLiza_fan
No lol there were 48 mainland states and then Alaska became 49 and Hawai'i 50.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not me, getting back home from Montreal on Monday and already looking at next season's calendar...
...and realising that 6 competitions are pretty much locked in and 2 are desired to be there...

I think I will only do CQÉ and Canadian Nationals this year. CQÉ because if it's anything like last summer, pairs and ice dance amazement ! Nationals because that's just awesome ;) and conveniently accessible from Montreal via the subway.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Makes it sound as if you have to train hard to be an active skating fan :eek:! I never got involved in the fan side of the sport before I got into GS. Now I'm learning that as soon as one season ends, the serious fans start mapping out the next season, scheduling which events to participate in, building up their stamina and conditioning. I take the gentler route. I just get on the ice at home and skate :love:.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Makes it sound as if you have to train hard to be an active skating fan :eek:! I never got involved in the fan side of the sport before I got into GS. Now I'm learning that as soon as one season ends, the serious fans start mapping out the next season, scheduling which events to participate in, building up their stamina and conditioning. I take the gentler route. I just get on the ice at home and skate :love:.
it's about saving money and making time in the schedule too :) hahahahahaa... i have 5 weeks of paid vacay a year so i have to make sure i save one for figure skating if there is a big event like worlds or nationals i am attending ;) or i could negotiate a 6th week as i am getting promoted this year ;)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
it's about saving money and making time in the schedule too :) hahahahahaa... i have 5 weeks of paid vacay a year so i have to make sure i save one for figure skating if there is a big event like worlds or nationals i am attending ;) or i could negotiate a 6th week as i am getting promoted this year ;)
Yeesh. I chose the wrong bread-and-butter career to support all my hobbies. As a librarian in various federal government departmental libraries I never got more than two weeks vacation, even as a department head. Taking an extra week or two was unheard of, unless it was for medical reasons like extra recovery time after surgery (which came out of sick leave time). Every four years I took my vacation weeks in February so I could stay home and watch the Olympics ;).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeesh. I chose the wrong bread-and-butter career to support all my hobbies. As a librarian in various federal government departmental libraries I never got more than two weeks vacation, even as a department head. Taking an extra week or two was unheard of, unless it was for medical reasons like extra recovery time after surgery (which came out of sick leave time). Every four years I took my vacation weeks in February so I could stay home and watch the Olympics ;).
my career is very atypical... i work A LOT and at crazy times... but i can easily take time off well... sometimes ;) there are non-negotiable commitments of course ;)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No lol there were 48 mainland states and then Alaska became 49 and Hawai'i 50.

Thank you for the explanation.

And thank you for also making the point of including the apostrophe when writing Hawai'i. I hadn't actually come across that before.

Boys, but I hate the way that most native English-speakers simplify spellings to just the basic letters when writing. It means other people who care about getting things accurate don't find out how things are meant to be spelt! :mad:

I don't know if you have noticed this in my posts over the years, but I always make a point of including the apostrophe in Hallowe'en. And I normally try to include accents that are in skaters' names, even if it means that it takes me longer to post comments as I have to look the spellings up because the ISU and most other sites nearly always omit accents (there are a few occasions when the accents have slipped into ISU Bios, but not many).

So now that I know that it is supposed to be an apostrophe in Hawai'i as well, I will be including it from now on too. Although, it is debatable how often I will have reason to mention Hawai'i...

(Are there any skaters other than Madison Chock that have Hawai'ian connections?)

I remember my older brothers having new bright coloured North American maps for high school when the USA stopped being "the 48 states" and added those two. Google tells me that was 1959.

And the best thing about that is that if Americans wanted to a map that accurately showed the positions of all the states, they now had to have a map that included most, if not all, of Canada. Before that, they could get away with cropping the map and pretending that Canada wasn't there.

You guys are too important for that! ;)

Before I was born, they'd learned in school about Canada's nine provinces, and then in 1949 Newfoundland became the 10th province and they'd had a special party at school. The children all sang Nfld's "national anthem" from when the island of Newfoundland and mainland area of Labrador were a separate British dominion.

Awww. That was a nice way to welcome them in. :ghug:

Speaking of national anthems, I have often wondered which is more confusing: having to learn a completely new anthem; or the words to your existing anthem changing?

I have now experienced the latter. And although it is just the odd little word here and there ("king" instead of "queen"; "him" instead of "her"; "he" instead of "she"), I can not get used to it at all. When I am singing along in my head (I haven't had reason to sing it out loud yet), I am still singing the female version. My Dad has had no bother adjusting, but then again, he was born when we last had a king. OK, so he was not even 2 weeks old when George VI died, but he was still there! ;) :laugh:

But, I dread to think what it is like for Russians of his age, who have had three different sets of lyrics to the same music in their lifetime. How easy it must be for them to accidentally slip into the wrong version.

In that respect, if you really do have to change your anthem, maybe it is easier to just adopt a completely new one rather than make changes to the words of your existing anthem.

Oh, how I wish Northern Ireland would adopt a different anthem to the one we currently use at the Commonwealth Games and such like. Who would want as their anthem something as depressing as "Danny Boy"...?! :drama:

And I can finally get synchronized for phone calls with my kids who live in Scotland and the Isle of Man. Our clocks changed three weeks ago; theirs didn't.

Do you have any idea why the Spring clock change occurs at a diferent date in North America compared to Europe?

During the French round of the Senior GP Series back at the start of November, @Jeanie19 explained to me the reason for the Autumn clock change now being a week later in North America than in Europe. And it totally made sense to me. It is so that it is not as dark when the kiddies are out Trick Or Treating at Hallowe'en. And after reading that, I would be all for the same change in date happening over this side of the Atlantic, for the same reason. The problem is that my island is the only part of Europe where Hallowe'en is a big deal (well, we did invent it!) So, I can't see the rest of the continent agreeing to it just to suit a bunch of Paddies.

But, I can't think of an obvious reason for the Spring clock change happening three weeks earlier in North America than in Europe.

And I never knew you also had family in the Isle Of Man! My Dad has been going over there every year since the early 70's for the TT Races. And I have a whole drawer filled with TT T-shirts (I love saying "TT T-shirts"!) I wear an item of clothing bought in the Isle Of Man practrically every day! :biggrin: Albeit under a shirt (and usually a sweatshirt too), because it is nearly always too cold to be wearing just a T-shirt! This is a rock in the North Atlantic that I live on, after all! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think I will only do CQÉ and Canadian Nationals this year. CQÉ because if it's anything like last summer, pairs and ice dance amazement ! Nationals because that's just awesome ;) and conveniently accessible from Montreal via the subway.
After Montreal experience, all Canadian competitions for me are the best :laugh:
I'll need to visit again sometime.

For me, I loosely plan 3 JGPs this time (time to unlock new destination after Ostrava and Gdańsk hehe), Warsaw Cup, GP Espoo (aka my annual Finland vacation) and Junior Worlds. The question is...can I push for Nepela (one of sentimental faves and where I always met one of my biggest skating friends) and for Boston (after Montreal, the expectations are that crowns caravan will also make appearance in the US).
The challenge is definitely about paid off time at work (I have 26 days remaining) plus...can I get consistent with crafts prep over the spring/summer? I have new stuff in mind too, but crowns will remain a staple :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After Montreal experience, all Canadian competitions for me are the best :laugh:
I'll need to visit again sometime.

For me, I loosely plan 3 JGPs this time (time to unlock new destination after Ostrava and Gdańsk hehe), Warsaw Cup, GP Espoo (aka my annual Finland vacation) and Junior Worlds. The question is...can I push for Nepela (one of sentimental faves and where I always met one of my biggest skating friends) and for Boston (after Montreal, the expectations are that crowns caravan will also make appearance in the US).
The challenge is definitely about paid off time at work (I have 26 days remaining) plus...can I get consistent with crafts prep over the spring/summer? I have new stuff in mind too, but crowns will remain a staple :)

As somebody watching from home, I have always thought the Estonian competitions are amongst the best when it comes to supporting the skaters. Have your travels taken you to Estonia yet? If not, it might be worth trying at some stage.

Unfortunately, the Tallinn Trophy is on at the same time as the Nepela Memorial. (I realise the Tallinn Trophy is only returning to the Challenger Series this year after a few years away as a regular Senior B, but why, oh why, does the Challenger Series always manage to have at least one week when there are two rounds being held?!) But, there is also the Haabersti Cup in the second half of the season, when skaters are frantically trying to get any outstanding TES minimums for Senior Worlds. Which could make it an exciting event to attend. That said, it was only 2 weeks before Junior Worlds this season, so they are maybe a bit too close together for getting time off work.

With that in mind, I hope getting time off work doesn't prove an obstacle for your hopes of going to Boston. It isn't that long after Junior Worlds. But with how much you enjoyed Senior Worlds this year, I hope you do get to do it again next year. It'll be nice for you to experience another place on the other side of the pond.

Oh, I hope everything falls into place for you in regards all the events you would like to go to.

Looking forward to reading about your antics next season (and seeing your handiwork in photos and, hopefully, on the coverage).

🌻 👑

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
As somebody watching from home, I have always thought the Estonian competitions are amongst the best when it comes to supporting the skaters. Have your travels taken you to Estonia yet? If not, it might be worth trying at some stage.

Unfortunately, the Tallinn Trophy is on at the same time as the Nepela Memorial. (I realise the Tallinn Trophy is only returning to the Challenger Series this year after a few years away as a regular Senior B, but why, oh why, does the Challenger Series always manage to have at least one week when there are two rounds being held?!) But, there is also the Haabersti Cup in the second half of the season, when skaters are frantically trying to get any outstanding TES minimums for Senior Worlds. Which could make it an exciting event to attend. That said, it was only 2 weeks before Junior Worlds this season, so they are maybe a bit too close together for getting time off work.

With that in mind, I hope getting time off work doesn't prove an obstacle for your hopes of going to Boston. It isn't that long after Junior Worlds. But with how much you enjoyed Senior Worlds this year, I hope you do get to do it again next year. It'll be nice for you to experience another place on the other side of the pond.

Oh, I hope everything falls into place for you in regards all the events you would like to go to.

Looking forward to reading about your antics next season (and seeing your handiwork in photos and, hopefully, on the coverage).

🌻 👑

CaroLiza_fan
Already 'ticked off' Estonia just before pandemic hit, at 2020 World Junior Championships ;)
Actually, this competition holds pretty special meaning in lots of ways for me. I haven't told my mom/no one from family about it beforehand. It was definitely a last hurrah as I already suspected my 2020 Montreal Adventure will get cancelled. And 2020 Junior Worlds still holds single competition record for number of crowns given at 20 :)
I have some great memories from there. And Tallinn hosts Junior Worlds again in 2026, so if I'm alive, financially able and willing, I'm there.

Ah, my mind already calculates everything about Boston :laugh:, time off, financials etc. I'm insecure person, but if I set my mind on something early enough, it usually comes true as I gave myself enough time to digest the idea and plan accordingly.
Nepela is the biggest question mark right now...but once it gets closer, I'll decide.
I was pretty surprised seeing Warsaw Cup and GP Espoo do not overlap this year which will make CRAZY two weeks on the road :laugh:. So will Riga/Ostrava. But I won't complain, like ever, because I truly feel alive going somewhere with a mission, however pathetic this sounds at age 34 :)
Thanks as always for everything! 🌻

ETA - the other day I've been asked by a skating friend if I remember all crowns given, the number. And it made me think if how many competitions I've already been to. Let's think out loud...
2018 - 3 (Senior Worlds, Nepela, GP France which started crafting by smuggling those sunflowers :laugh:)
2019 - 4 (Mentor Cup, Nepela, Warsaw Cup, GP France)
2020 - 2 (Mentor Cup and Junior Worlds)
2021 - 2 (Finlandia Trophy and GP France)
2022 - 5 (JGP Ostrava, JGP Gdańsk, Warsaw Cup, GP Finland, GPF)
2023 - 3 (JGP Budapest, JGP Gdańsk, GP Finland) + 7 crowns were handed out in Warsaw at Warsaw Cup
2024 - 1 so far (Senior Worlds)

20 (!!) overall, unless I forgot about something lol.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Already 'ticked off' Estonia just before pandemic hit, at 2020 World Junior Championships ;)

Actually, this competition holds pretty special meaning in lots of ways for me. I haven't told my mom/no one from family about it beforehand. It was definitely a last hurrah as I already suspected my 2020 Montreal Adventure will get cancelled. And 2020 Junior Worlds still holds single competition record for number of crowns given at 20 :)

I'm an idiot! I had completely forgot that Junior Worlds did manage to get held with an audience in 2020. My mind just remembered all the other subsequent events that they stepped in for, which I knew you hadn't got to.

I'm getting old, forgetting things! :laugh:

I have some great memories from there. And Tallinn hosts Junior Worlds again in 2026, so if I'm alive, financially able and willing, I'm there.

Hey, don't start with that "if I'm alive" stuff. If I know you, you'll do everything you can to get there!

Ah, my mind already calculates everything about Boston :laugh:, time off, financials etc. I'm insecure person, but if I set my mind on something early enough, it usually comes true as I gave myself enough time to digest the idea and plan accordingly.

Yeah, as the discussion that flowed from your initial post said, a lot of planning does go into these things. But, you are good at that.

Nepela is the biggest question mark right now...but once it gets closer, I'll decide.

Yeah, maybe 3 Senior events in the space of 4 weeks would be a bit much. Especially after doing 3 Junior GP's earlier in the autumn.

I was pretty surprised seeing Warsaw Cup and GP Espoo do not overlap this year which will make CRAZY two weeks on the road :laugh:. So will Riga/Ostrava. But I won't complain, like ever, because I truly feel alive going somewhere with a mission, however pathetic this sounds at age 34 :)
Thanks as always for everything! 🌻

No, it does not sound pathetic! It just proves how enthusiastic you are about something. Which is a good thing! ;)

I was going to ask you in my previous post which of the Junior GP's you were targeting, but I didn't want to sound too nosey. But, I see you have now given two of them away. I had assumed that your usual hunting grounds of Ostrava and Gdańsk would be two of them. So, Riga is the other. It had crossed my mind, but I didn't think you would do two back-to-back. That in itself will be an interesting experience for you, as well as the excitement of experiencing a skating event in another different country.

My first guess was that France was the other, as you've already experienced Senior GP's in that country and maybe want to see how they did a Junior GP for comparison. (I have to admit, I didn't know where the place it was being held was, so I looked it up and was surprised to find that it was in Lorraine. Not an area I would have ever associated with a winter sport).

ETA - the other day I've been asked by a skating friend if I remember all crowns given, the number. And it made me think if how many competitions I've already been to. Let's think out loud...
2018 - 3 (Senior Worlds, Nepela, GP France which started crafting by smuggling those sunflowers :laugh:)
2019 - 4 (Mentor Cup, Nepela, Warsaw Cup, GP France)
2020 - 2 (Mentor Cup and Junior Worlds)
2021 - 2 (Finlandia Trophy and GP France)
2022 - 5 (JGP Ostrava, JGP Gdańsk, Warsaw Cup, GP Finland, GPF)
2023 - 3 (JGP Budapest, JGP Gdańsk, GP Finland) + 7 crowns were handed out in Warsaw at Warsaw Cup
2024 - 1 so far (Senior Worlds)

20 (!!) overall, unless I forgot about something lol.

That is quite an impresive list. :bow: You have been fairly clocking up the air miles following this sport in the past few years. ;) (Proverbially rather than literally, of course. I realise that you didn't fly for most of them!)

Some day, maybe I will take the plunge. But until then, I'm happy enough hearing about your experiences.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: