Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 163 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Curious questions thread

I have two to start.
Why did Yuna quit skating even in shows?
And whatever happened to TSL on this forum? I like them.

gourry

Final Flight
I have a question about a skating move.
Someone posted Alexander Abt's Rachmaninoff program in the underrated program thread. I liked the program a lot, and I especially liked his flying sit spin there.
I guess that's just a flying sit spin, but just wanted to know for sure. Does it have any specific name for it? And what exactly is happening here? Could someone break down it for me?
Actually I first saw that spin in Patrick Chan's Elegy EX, and I was like 'wow that's so cool:love:' (and in the competition program it was gone along with the tano wally jump in front of 3Lz so I was very sad). Now that I see it in Abt's program, it's even more wow-er!
And do you know who did this move for the first time?

gkelly

Record Breaker
That kind of jump is known as a butterfly or arabian entry into a spin, or it can just be done on its own as a connecting move. When it happens in the middle of a spin it could just be called a jumpover.

I think there are some subtle differences between the butterfly and the arabian, but I've never done either so I don't know what they are. Maybe one-foot vs. two-foot takeoff?

Obviously jumping from the middle of a spin is different than jumping from a three turn and step or with a toe tap.

Some version of those spins have been around at least since the middle of the 20th century. I have no idea who was the very first to perform them. Like illusions, they're basically translations of acrobatic dance moves onto the ice.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I have two to start.
Why did Yuna quit skating even in shows?
And whatever happened to TSL on this forum? I like them.

The first question would've been covered already at her fan fest. She hasn't finished her graduation school yet and been super busy for doing other various tasks including the Honorary Ambassador for Pyeongchang and Youth Olympics. Her agent company recently hosted an ice show without featuring her. I think her federation still dares to wish her return to competition, so I guess she will not do shows until the 2018 Olympics.

The second question is..what I have also wondered.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm compiling videos of past performances in Olympics to make a collected place like some sort of archive. I don't know where to put them with what title.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?59490-Test&p=1441774&viewfull=1#post1441774

I also seek for some help to identify music used by skaters in Olympics before music titles were seen on TV. I've seen several users here set up a thread to ask about a song used as a program, but as you look into the above page at Testing Area that, you will see many music are missing, so I guess the more people participate in identifying music, the less time would be spent and accurate. Should I set up a separate thread from the future complied articles with video links?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have been doing requests on the Fan Fest thread itself, after I fail to find the music on soundhound or the skaters' Wikipedia entries. But starting a thread in the Edge with all the music id's you need in one place is not a bad idea either.

If the skaters are Russian, check their vk.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks for the answer, Doris. I've used two Apps on my phone or sometimes Midomi for identifying songs, but noises from the crowd and comments from announcers gave me a hard time....I will try with soundhound.

And a major problem is that the skaters are retired a long ago, so we don't have their fan fests on GS or their previous fan pages on internet were gone already. :sad4:

I think asking for help in the Edge would be a better option if song identifiers don't work at all. Thanks for the advice. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When done, this work would be a great addition to references.

We have some folks interested in doing Hall of Fame Fan Fests, and so I hope more will appear over the summer.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Sometimes if you transcribe the main melody of the music and then play it on piano or use an online program to play it it can be found on Soundhound, I agree that the clapping and the announcers tend to interfere a lot

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
When done, this work would be a great addition to references.

We have some folks interested in doing Hall of Fame Fan Fests, and so I hope more will appear over the summer.

Thanks for your recognition and advice on where the materials should be relocated later. It's here, in the Figure Skating References. :)
I love to see Hall of Fame Fan Fests created by our fellow GS users.

Sometimes if you transcribe the main melody of the music and then play it on piano or use an online program to play it it can be found on Soundhound, I agree that the clapping and the announcers tend to interfere a lot

I haven't thought about transcription! That way would be free of any noises but I'm a terrible at playing piano, but it sounds worth trying. Thanks!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Cross posted in the Lubov and Dylan fan fest:

Would anyone know how to edit photos on Lubov and Dylan's Wikipedia pages? Both of their pages have their main photo as one of them with their former partners. It would be nice to see a photo of their partnership on their pages.

I would do it myself but I can't figure out how to upload a photo to Wikipedia.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Is there any rule that makes it a requirement to start their skate somewhere in the middle of the rink? Can they start close to the boards?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is there any rule that makes it a requirement to start their skate somewhere in the middle of the rink? Can they start close to the boards?

They can start whereever they like, save off the rink. I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to be touching the boards in competition, though.

While it's true that most skaters start their programs in that middle third, if you look closely, they're usually scattered all through it.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
They can start whereever they like, save off the rink. I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to be touching the boards in competition, though.

While it's true that most skaters start their programs in that middle third, if you look closely, they're usually scattered all through it.

Thanks :) I'd like to see more skaters starting their programs close to boards for some variation :laugh: I do remember Adelina starting her EX program while leaning on the band, that is also coincidentally my favourite exhibition piece from her ;)

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
Okay this may be kinda a dumb question but what exactly is the choreographer's job? Do they just tell a skater what to do from the sides or do they actually get on the ice and demonstrate what they want? I mean, some of Mao's steps are kinda involved...so how does an older individual like say, Tatiana Tarasova actually show Mao what her vision is for her? Or is it more like they mix the music, generally lay out where jumps will be (like first half, second half), and then go "Okay Mao, here, do a sit spin like you usually do...and here, do steps"...like that?