Russian Team Event 2021 - Thoughts on the format | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian Team Event 2021 - Thoughts on the format

Amei

Record Breaker
I really like the jumping competition 🤣. I may be one of the only ones but I don’t like this whole team Zhenya/Alina thing. I find it is firing up people with hate online (on insta/twitter etc..) which is sad - cheer for who you want and may the best team/skaters win. I hope everyone has fun and we are in for a treat w an extra skating comp.. (I also don’t like this whole covid doesn’t matter w a team comp but it’s Russia and we know they will keep going :))

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear some complaints the fact that they went with 2 skaters who both are supposedly not retired and coached by the same coach. Would have preferred to see them bring in some of former greats to act as coaches. . Like you said they are instigating all the stupid fan drama over 2 people who are going to pose for pictures, promotion videos and skate an exhibition piece.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm a bit worried about the jumping competition to be honest. Isn't Sasha still recovering from injury? What if this aggravates it? Imagine if she loses out on her chance for a world spot because she's re-injures herself :( Even if Worlds doesn't go ahead it'll look bad.

It'll also look bad for her if she doesn't do her hardest quads for the jump competition, sounds like a bad idea to me.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm a bit worried about the jumping competition to be honest. Isn't Sasha still recovering from injury? What if this aggravates it? Imagine if she loses out on her chance for a world spot because she's re-injures herself :( Even if Worlds doesn't go ahead it'll look bad.

It'll also look bad for her if she doesn't do her hardest quads for the jump competition, sounds like a bad idea to me.

I would hope that if she's still injured or only recently fully recovered from injury her coach and her parents would step in and stop her (if her health is so severe like she's still injured) or at least remind her to look at big picture before she partakes in the competition. But at some point, it's her career if she wants to try and get Channel 1 cup jump champion and doesn't care about the potential consequence that it could re-injure her leg and make her incapable of going to worlds or going to worlds in a limited capacity that greatly reduces her ability to win, it was her decision and she'll have to live with the consequences of her decision.

klena

On the Ice
image0.jpg

:)

Arbitrary

Medalist
FFKKR's announced the Jumpers Tournament at 5 Feb 21 as a part of the Teams Commercial Event. And we know only two female jumpers who could possibly compete.
What I don't understand what are their reasons to push skaters to the maximum before the WC?
Otherwise FFKKR's sure the WC-21 to be cancelled?

icybear

Medalist
FFKKR's announced the Jumpers Tournament at 5 Feb 21 as a part of the Teams Commercial Event. And we know only two female jumpers who could possibly compete.
What I don't understand what are their reasons to push skaters to the maximum before the WC?
Very likely so. I dont think Sweden is going to be able to host an international competition in just 2 months time. Also I dont think they would want to host it with no ticket sales being made.

Amei

Record Breaker

The jump event is February 5th, the World championships are scheduled to start on March 24th, that's more than enough time to recover (unless they get injured) and I'm sure they do more jumps in regular practice than what they will do at that jump competition.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is sad it's more about the 2 skaters that are going to stand at the boards and pose for pictures vs. the skaters that are actually going to be competing.
Well I guess it takes the pressure off the competing skaters?

I wonder how this random draw thing will work especially for the ladies, like what if all the quad capable ones are on one team (Sasha, Anna, Kamila)? How will that be fair?

NaVi

Medalist
My thoughts on the format...

1. I don't really care about a jumping contest. TBH, it seems like a chance to get injuries.
2. I think having them doing both a short program and a long program is not a good idea. It would be better to just do it like the Japan Open.
3. The whole paradigm in figure skating where skaters do the same programs for the entire season needs to go away. They should have done something fun like required there to be a shared theme for the teams.
4. Events like these should be opportunities to experiment with the rules. How about a rule that gives out extra bonuses for doing the 4T and 3As later in the program beyond the 10% bonus? Or rules that allow skaters to break up the step sequences? Or have spins be judged purely on GOE? Or how about give extra bonuses to spiral sequences over regular choreographic sequences(good spirals should be rewards well)? Etc, etc.
5. Not having Zagitova and Medvedeva actually skating face to face has been a missed opportunity post 2018 Olympics.
t
To keep figure skating's popularity high(beyond the rah rah patriotism of having winner), they need to provide both regular content and novel content. And I worry an event like this doesn't really provid the sort of novelty that people really want.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So more info has come out about the Channel 1 Cup, the latest? Yagudin has been invited to skate.

I may get in trouble for this but don't you just love how Mr I-wish-Adam-Rippon-would-die-and-Jason-Brown-is-a-nancyboy-ruining-the-sport gets next to no backlash - or if he does it's quickly forgiven and forgotten, while Plushy is never allowed to forget the "platinum medal" comment that hurt precisely nobody?

Suffice to say that's dampened my enthusiasm for the event even more. If Plushy goes he has to face Alina, Eteri and Yagudin? I guess they'll invite TAT and that judge who gave that interview about not worrying about skating technique just shove your problem jump in the corner next. 🙄 Maybe crazy Zheleznyakov can wrangle an invite.

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
I saw this (largely unverified) rumor somewhere. Would some goldener kindly confirm me: Is it true that Yagudin will also be competing?
If so, that would be jaw-dropping.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I saw this (largely unverified) rumor somewhere. Would some goldener kindly confirm me: Is it true that Yagudin will also be competing?
If so, that would be jaw-dropping.
Well, he won't be competing, but he will host the show for 1tv, I guess. He posted this on Instagram (it made me laugh, tbh - yeah, I know, I'm easily amused...):

1611416936920.png

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
Well, he won't be competing, but he will host the show for 1tv, I guess. He posted this on Instagram (it made me laugh, tbh - yeah, I know, I'm easily amused...):

View attachment 3056
Haha thank you anyways, KittenLady! I just realized how hilarious it sounds. :ROFLMAO:
At the moment I was almost fooled. As I reflect on this season, I just realized what a ridiculous season it has been so far. Dramas, guaranteed GPs, cardboard spectators, now a new team event - what else to expect next?
And most importantly, I learned to never underestimate how creative the Russians could be.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
So more info has come out about the Channel 1 Cup, the latest? Yagudin has been invited to skate.

I may get in trouble for this but don't you just love how Mr I-wish-Adam-Rippon-would-die-and-Jason-Brown-is-a-nancyboy-ruining-the-sport gets next to no backlash - or if he does it's quickly forgiven and forgotten, while Plushy is never allowed to forget the "platinum medal" comment that hurt precisely nobody?

Suffice to say that's dampened my enthusiasm for the event even more. If Plushy goes he has to face Alina, Eteri and Yagudin? I guess they'll invite TAT and that judge who gave that interview about not worrying about skating technique just shove your problem jump in the corner next. 🙄 Maybe crazy Zheleznyakov can wrangle an invite.
I'm totally with you on the 'don't you just love'. I hope it won't get you into trouble. Even though in the past I loved Yagudin's skating and Plushy's less so, subsequent happenings have turned me into not liking Yagudin very much as a person. Being a great skater at a certain period in time (and I still rewatch some of his skates quite often), doesn't make one a great person too. I liked the rivalry at the time, but to be honest, that was only a small part of Plushy's legacy who managed to get Olympic medals at 4 Olympic's, which is quite a feat.

I am quite enthusiastic about this event though (apart from the jumping contest, but that's just me) even if I really don't like the drama and hype around Alina and Zhenya. At least Yagudin should be neutral towards both girls - he presented/hosted skating shows with both of them before. He won't be competing of course. I am looking forward to seeing some good skating - and let me tell you the team I will be rooting for (which I don't know yet as there has been no draw) has nothing to do with either the two girls heading the teams or the presence of a Yagudin - luckily it will be Ted who will comment (at least for me), and he's not one to be negatively personal in his commentary. Perhaps I'll just be in favour of both teams as I am a fan of all the pairs skaters anyway!