Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston

clayray3290

Spectator
Jason's performances, both of them, were definitely the crowd favorites. He was truly electrifying to watch and everyone in TD could feel the energy. There were so many stumbles during many of the performances (Not just in Men, all around), but with Jason, I know I didn't feel the same kind of nervousness before big elements and instead there was an excitement.

I have been an avid fan of Jeremy for a while, but with him, he's usually incredible or terrible. Thankfully, this week it was the former. His short was amazing and I felt so lucky to have been present to watch it. He was just on a different level that night. His free wasn't as perfect, but it was still a beautiful skate.

All in all, I'm glad that the two of them are going to Sochi, although I am a bit sad for Max Aaron. I was really really happy for Joshua Farris for doing so well! And Douglas Razzano's free was exquisite. Sad that Ross Miner's performances fell short, although all us Bostonians in the audience certainly appreciated his programs. (I love that he used Sweet Caroline as his pre-performance music) Watching Adam Rippon and Richard Dornbush falter in the free was excruciatingly heartbreaking. Adam kept on trying what I think was a quad lutz during the warmup and kept falling and ugh, it was tragic.

But yes, I am really happy for Jeremy and Jason!

dardar1126

On the Ice
I don't think Max has "bombed"...

2012-2013:

US Classic = #1

Cup of Nice = #2

US Nationals = #1

Worlds = #7 (less than 2 pts out of fifth....Max=238.36/Takahashi=239.03/Reynolds=239.98)

4C = #4

2013-2014:

World Team = #4

US Classic = #1

Skate America = #3

NHK = #7

US Nationals = #3

Not bombing...but inconsistent while learning a new quad, and raising his level of performance and choreography. :)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I don't think Max has "bombed"...

2012-2013:

US Classic = #1

Cup of Nice = #2

US Nationals = #1

Worlds = #7 (less than 2 pts out of fifth....Max=238.36/Takahashi=239.03/Reynolds=239.98)

4C = #4

2013-2014:

World Team = #4

US Classic = #1

Skate America = #3

NHK = #7

US Nationals = #3

Not bombing...but inconsistent while learning a new quad, and raising his level of performance and choreography. :)

Hi there!

I was only talking about this season, post Worlds. Max himself has expressed great disappointment in his skates prior to Nationals. Did you guys listen to his press call? He said he was "embarrassed" by his "horrible" performances this season. The US Classic placement is misleading- he performed very poorly there against a weak field. I actually really like Max. But in all honesty and by his own admission, he has had a very weak season. All the more reason why his performance at Nationals was so encouraging. Kudos to him for recognizing his weaknesses, changing his game plan, and working on his shortcomings. I hope he is a medalist at Nationals for many years to come.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jason's performances, both of them, were definitely the crowd favorites. He was truly electrifying to watch and everyone in TD could feel the energy. There were so many stumbles during many of the performances (Not just in Men, all around), but with Jason, I know I didn't feel the same kind of nervousness before big elements and instead there was an excitement.

I have been an avid fan of Jeremy for a while, but with him, he's usually incredible or terrible. Thankfully, this week it was the former. His short was amazing and I felt so lucky to have been present to watch it. He was just on a different level that night. His free wasn't as perfect, but it was still a beautiful skate.

All in all, I'm glad that the two of them are going to Sochi, although I am a bit sad for Max Aaron. I was really really happy for Joshua Farris for doing so well! And Douglas Razzano's free was exquisite. Sad that Ross Miner's performances fell short, although all us Bostonians in the audience certainly appreciated his programs. (I love that he used Sweet Caroline as his pre-performance music) Watching Adam Rippon and Richard Dornbush falter in the free was excruciatingly heartbreaking. Adam kept on trying what I think was a quad lutz during the warmup and kept falling and ugh, it was tragic.

But yes, I am really happy for Jeremy and Jason!

Clayray, I'm with you on everything. Thank you for mentioning Douglas Razzano as well- he was beautiful and touching. So heartbreaking to see Adam and Richard falter.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
To be fair, Mrs P, nobody is as fast as Max. ;)

Um, NO. Because I'd rather watch a skater who looks like he's having fun and will fight for the program to the bitter end, and who always looks like he's at least TRYING to make everybody happy (obviously an impossibility for Max; he really blew that idea by beating Abbott last year, which means he now has a whole horde of people who automatically dislike him). Watching a skater falling and popping all over the place and totally giving up on a program, while looking like he's suffering death by slow torture, is not my idea of artistry nor is it my idea of fun.

One year. ONE year vs MULTIPLE. For Max this year is an aberration. For Abbott it's the norm to bomb.

Karne, with all due respect, you can't compare their careers given that Max is in his 2nd season on the senior level internationally and Jeremy is 28. we don't know enough yet about Max to say this is an aberration. Let's give the kid time. and Abbott has performed very well in Grand Prix International events. It's just at the Olympics and at Worlds where he has under-performed.

I am put off by your bitterness towards Jeremy and your inability to see anything positive about him. I have repeatedly expressed my admiration for and liking of Max. He is a worthy bronze medalist and I think he will have a great career.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I wanted to tell all the Ricky Dornbush and Ross Miner fans on here how much I enjoyed them at this Nationals. I have not been a big fan of either skater before, but I was so impressed with Ricky's energetic and athletic short program and his obvious good heart and by Ross's GORGEOUS skating skills- Mrs. P I totally agree with you- and his sweet nature.

dardar1126

On the Ice
I was glad that Jeremy held it together, and did so well...I've always liked him. I'd like to see him end his amateur career on a high note. :yes:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am put off by your bitterness towards Jeremy and your inability to see anything positive about him. I have repeatedly expressed my admiration for and liking of Max. He is a worthy bronze medalist and I think he will have a great career.

I am perfectly capable of being positive about Jeremy. I very much enjoyed his SP at Nationals. I even posted so. (Though GS was being buggy so maybe it got eaten.) He is a very nice skater and when he's on he's very nice to watch. Only problem is he's hardly ever on.

Max was torn to shreds by certain quarters last year because he dared to beat Jeremy while skating in a totally different style. Ross was torn to shreds after Worlds. And if Max had carried on with even half the poor sportsmanship Jeremy showed at Nationals last year, he'd have been eaten alive.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am perfectly capable of being positive about Jeremy. I very much enjoyed his SP at Nationals. I even posted so. (Though GS was being buggy so maybe it got eaten.) He is a very nice skater and when he's on he's very nice to watch. Only problem is he's hardly ever on.

Max was torn to shreds by certain quarters last year because he dared to beat Jeremy while skating in a totally different style. Ross was torn to shreds after Worlds. And if Max had carried on with even half the poor sportsmanship Jeremy showed at Nationals last year, he'd have been eaten alive.

Thanks for sharing your positive thoughts about Jeremy! I didn't see your post after the short- it might have been eaten or I might not have been able to access at that time as GS was buggy.

I don't know anything about poor sportsmanship on Jeremy's part at last year's Nationals though.

Max is often criticized for his weak skating skills. He should not be criticized for beating anyone, only for true weaknesses in his skating. That being said, he is young and is working hard to develop and grow. I think he is a really admirable young guy and a great role model for kids in how honest he is about his shortcomings and how hard he works. He is not my favorite style of skater but as far as the style goes (Elvis, Joubert etc) he is very good! Also, I saw HUGE improvement in him at Nationals this year compared to last year and to earlier in the season. He is really putting in the effort and it shows.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for sharing your positive thoughts about Jeremy! I didn't see your post after the short- it might have been eaten or I might not have been able to access at that time as GS was buggy.

I don't know anything about poor sportsmanship on Jeremy's part at last year's Nationals though.

You're welcome. A few of my posts got eaten over the weekend. And thank YOU for sharing such positive thoughts about Max - it is very rare to find a Jeremy fan who is prepared to acknowledge Max's good qualities, unfortunately.

Perhaps I took it all a little too personally last year, but Jeremy seemed to rankle me the whole time. In the post-SP press conference, he spoke about Worlds as though he was a lock to go. After the LP, he sat in a corner and sulked, when everyone else was congratulating Max (and Ross, who'd come second, was the first guy over to hug him). At the medal ceremony, he threatened Max and Ross with the "you better get three spots" type gesture, which was...enormously hypocritical.

Max was very gracious for someone who'd had the equivalent of being punched in the guts. He was even applauding Jason though he must have known then that he was gone. But his sad sad eyes in all of the podium pics are breaking my heart. :cry:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
You're welcome. A few of my posts got eaten over the weekend. And thank YOU for sharing such positive thoughts about Max - it is very rare to find a Jeremy fan who is prepared to acknowledge Max's good qualities, unfortunately.

Perhaps I took it all a little too personally last year, but Jeremy seemed to rankle me the whole time. In the post-SP press conference, he spoke about Worlds as though he was a lock to go. After the LP, he sat in a corner and sulked, when everyone else was congratulating Max (and Ross, who'd come second, was the first guy over to hug him). At the medal ceremony, he threatened Max and Ross with the "you better get three spots" type gesture, which was...enormously hypocritical.

Max was very gracious for someone who'd had the equivalent of being punched in the guts. He was even applauding Jason though he must have known then that he was gone. But his sad sad eyes in all of the podium pics are breaking my heart. :cry:

You talk about the skating fans as though we DONT know the shortcomings for Jason and Jeremy. Jeremy has been inconsistent but he has supreme upside, and Jason is SUCH an entertainer and his charisma and talent is maybe the highest we have seen in DECADES. However, Max was a supremely good sport with his result and he knows what he has to work on. LISTEN, he doesn't have to be like Jeremy or Jason, he can chart his own path of "masculine artistry." I may not prefer it, but it is it true to who he is, and if he skates it with conviction, I WILL ENJOY IT. Max is still learning who he is in this sport. This isn't hockey, though he can still skate fast and strong and to strong music and win it, he just needs to find himself.

FYI: There is a reason that I got into skating, and it was because of the woman who I will revere above even my mother (and it is HER mother, my grandmother.) She loved Elvis Stojko (before she passed away) and his masculine, yet powerful way of skating. Max NEEDS to find that. He's on his way, but he needs to delve a bit more. However, he needs to be reminded of Brian Joubert, and to NOT fall into that trap. you can be both Masculine AND an artist, and he needs to find the way that he sees is the best for him. He IS powerful, and he needs to use powerful music (LIKE Carmen) to his advantage. He is just not there yet, and I find his skating disingenuous (the artistic side.)

EDIT: That is not to say that last years win is null. He WAS the best skater in the field, but not so with this year and these skates. I hope he takes to heart what the judges scored him and the past champions (Evan being the most similar to him stylistically) and that he knows that he can still be a champion.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I was rewatching the mens free skate and i couldnt help but wnder why douglas razzano was so emotional. I thought thatit was soley due to having a lights out skate but after rewatching i could make out that this was his last nationals and he skated for Mirai.

I loved his skating and he brought his best when it counted- his potential swan song. What a way to end a career on a massive high!

I hope i am wrong but if it is true i wish him all the best :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... everyone else was congratulating Max (and Ross, who'd come second, was the first guy over to hug him). ...

My heart goes out to Max, who indeed was very gracious in defeat this year. Shed tears for him myself yesterday as I read some of the understandably joyful comments from those on Team USA and Team Canada who will be going to Sochi. Max is all about camaraderie, and I'm sure that he is happy for his many friends on Team USA, but it can't be easy to know that he will not be joining them.
Am shedding even more tears :cry: as I read the lovely, lovely words that Max tweeted this morning. He is a class act. :bow:

ETA: Ooops, did not see earlier that dardar had posted the Max tweet above. I hope that everyone will click on the link for the full text of Max's complete msg -- and/or read it in the Max fan thread.

Off topic for this thread, but Ross :bow: really impressed me last year by his sincere support for Max. I have seen the hug only via a still photo, and to this day, I have been wishing for a chance to see video of it. (Long after the fact, I had stumbled on a photo on tumblr or somewhere, and like an idiot, I failed to save the link.) Another great Ross moment was at the post-FS presser, where Max handled himself very well, but obviously had the least media experience of the three men. After one of Max's responses to a question, Ross chimed in approvingly, "Good answer!"

My best wishes also to Ross and other men who did not make the cut for Sochi.

Even the cat gif masters over at Buzzfeed cannot resist Jason! http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesish/st...ch-this-kids-jawdropping-ice-skating?s=mobile

In this case, the totally click bait headline is totally legit this time! :biggrin:

BTW, after Jason's FS on Sunday, he became a trending topic on Twitter.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Podium trivia: Jason, Joshua and Max were all on the podium for junior men in 2010. How fun to see them all on the senior podium four years later.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I've got a Ross Miner question!
I first thought that he dedicated his FS to the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombings.
Then I heard that the music was composed as a tribute?
Finally I read here that you could see from his choreography that it evoked that.
Could someone please fill me in? I thought it was a beautiful music and obviously skated from the heart, but I didn't get any choreography being related to that - I'd imagine this a very hard thing to do...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Podium trivia: Jason, Joshua and Max were all on the podium for junior men in 2010. How fun to see them all on the senior podium four years later.

This also means that Joshua and Jason have now stood on a podium together at every level of US Nationals except Juvenile.

Also, I just noticed that when Jason does the 3F-2T, he does the 2T with one arm behind his back.