Sui and Han place their bets on "Turandot" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sui and Han place their bets on "Turandot"

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm okay with Sui/Han going for Turandot, but the program and the costumes especially make me compare them to Shen/Zhao for better and worse. I think they are as technically talented as their coaches for the most part, perhaps even better in some areas, but I don't get the same sense of romance and connection. Not that this is wrong or that Sui/Han don't have a different sort of relationship, but it's sort of like I'm looking at a packaged redux of what has already happened been done rather than something new. It's a matter of voice and originality. Bruno/Massot's free program has something new to say, whether it's about their infinity theme or the music.

I feel the same way when looking at Virtue/Moir where as much as I love their free program and stellar choreography, Moulin Rouge has already been done and interpreted many times. Even if I feel like Papadakis/Cizeron's free dance isn't as multi-dimensional as the judges think it is, their program is about taking a classical piece of music and reinterpreting it differently. So it's no surprise to me that the judges respond more to B/M and P/C in the artistic mark.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Just saw your two posts, but don't understand either one? What exactly are you trying to relay or what are your questions?

I'm just asking how is their music choice news, As we've all known about it for months now, No?
Unless they said they're undecided if they'll use that program at Olympics at one point
That's all.

The first post you quoted is a deleted post, there's no secret meaning behind it ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How is this "News"?

It's a reportive-styled feature interview, more or less. Not sure if they have a category for that specifically but I believe it fits within news.

OIC, the "news" icon. Yes, this was a contribution article by SECA (Shanghai) Sports & Culture Development Ltd.

Anyone is welcome to contact me if they have any interviews or features they'd like to contribute ;)

icybear

Medalist
I don't get why people are crying about them "copying" their coaches. The choreo and dynamic of the two programs are completely different. I don't see why you cant use a piece of music your coach skated to as long as you bring something new to it which they did. Their program is amazing and it fits their regal impression.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
I saw this program once at CoC, it’s a program that leave you speechless, Sui and Han have high level of technical ability, at the same time, with their movement and their expressions, it draws audience into the program very easily. There are multiple skater using Turandot as their program this season, and Han/Sui’s one is the only one I like.
Especially love the lifting from spread eagle. :luv17:

yqs100

On the Ice
They should skate to last years program.

Brigde over troubled water was something emotional and would place the bar incredible high. Turandot is definitly not bad but it feels that they try to enforce emotions way too hard.

Worst case scenario would be two Olympic Golds with Turandot.

I think you are trying too hard to press down S/H. IMO, the music suits to the olympics better than other dreamy/ fairy/ light music :) u know what I mean.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I think you are trying too hard to press down S/H. IMO, the music suits to the olympics better than other dreamy/ fairy/ light music :) u know what I mean.

Of course I know. Turandot is THE music for the Olympics especially after Pavarotti's opening performance in 2006.

So choosing Turandot is the most simple and modest choice for a top contender. No innovation at all.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
The music may not be the most inspiring, but I still find their skating fresh and unified amongst the field :luv17: I'm a sucker for Turandot in general (the opera and the music) so out of all the uninspiring warhorse music choices, at least it's that one :laugh:

andromache

Record Breaker
I love Turandot. This LP isn't as good as Shen/Zhao's, but it's solid. Not as good as Bridge Over Troubled Water, but A++++++ for not repeating an old program and being one of the few athletes this year to refrain from doing so. Maybe they'll bring it back for the Beijing Olympics?

I want Aliona to have her OGM but I like Sui/Han as a team more than Aliona/Bruno. It's going to be rough on me.

Macassar88

Medalist
I love Turandot. This LP isn't as good as Shen/Zhao's, but it's solid. Not as good as Bridge Over Troubled Water, but A++++++ for not repeating an old program and being one of the few athletes this year to refrain from doing so. Maybe they'll bring it back for the Beijing Olympics?

I want Aliona to have her OGM but I like Sui/Han as a team more than Aliona/Bruno. It's going to be rough on me.

I'm in the same boat as you. Another aspect is whether Sui/Han would continue if they won the OGM vs Aliona/Bruno winning it

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Sui/Han already said that they definitely want to go to the 2022 Olympics since it's at home. OGM or not, they're continuing.

yqs100

On the Ice
Of course I know. Turandot is THE music for the Olympics especially after Pavarotti's opening performance in 2006.

So choosing Turandot is the most simple and modest choice for a top contender. No innovation at all.

Trying different type of music makes Sui Han special. If you think innovative is that some pair stays in the dreamy light music for almost three seasons in a row, and even recycle the SP from last season, then Your innovation is different from other people. Hahahah

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Ok, I love this pair but I have grown to HATE Turandot as a skating music choice. Overplayed, overrated and tired. I'm really disappointed that they have chosen it and that Shoma has reverted to his Turandot programme. Are there really so few music pieces in the world that this one must be beaten to death over and over?!

binky

Rinkside
im disappointed as I can only see this copycat program as a reduced copy of shen and zhou who forever will own this as a pair.