Unusual or Funny Names, Your Stories? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Unusual or Funny Names, Your Stories?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We had an obituary in our local paper for, I kid you not, Robin R. Hood.

I thought maybe it was her married name, but no, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hood, named her Robin.

Sometimes people make me truly truly wonder....:drama:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
the Johnny Cash song, "A Boy Named Sue."

Slightly different, but try being named after a goddess of death, war and destruction. It's always fun explaining that one. Especially on the radio or tv...

These comments came to mind last week when I watched a film and one of the male characters was called "Lucy"...

...short for "Lucifer"! :eek:

When Lucy introduced himself to the title character, she laughed and commented "What a funny name, Lucifer". And he relied "Yes, Ma'am. It sure is! I got the name because my Mamma says 'Lucifer' means 'the morning star', and she says I'm the brightest thing she ever did see!"

Whilst what Lucy's mother said is actually true, and it is such a nice story, I'm afraid that most people would think of the other meaning when they hear the name "Lucifer"!

:devil:

By the way, I think you have a lovely name @WednesdayMarch . I know her from Irish mythology, but was she a character in Cornish mythology as well?

My Uncle Fred used to tell the story of a very rich, very prominent family from Arkansas or Texas surnamed Hogg. I've since learned that Hogg is in fact a legitimate last name in the U.S. and in Britain. I think I half doubted it when I was a child.

But Fred said, of this rich family, that they named their daughter "Ima."

I really didn't believe it and thought it was a joke, but as an adult I realized that that sort of cruel behavior on the part of parents does exist. Reference: the Johnny Cash song, "A Boy Named Sue."

I eventually looked up "Ima Hogg," and she was a real person. Lived in Texas.

Oh, yes, Hogg is a common name in the British Isles. There were 2 teachers at my school with the surname "Hogg" (they were married). Although I never heard about it happening, I'm sure that there would have been pupils making fun of the name.

But, well done to Ima for achieving so much despite the reactions to her full name. :bow: And thank you to @iluvtodd for telling us the actual meaning of her first name. So sweet! :love: (Well, it would have been sweet when she was older. I'm not sure how a little girl would have felt being called "mommy". :p :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ My Hebrew name is Zahava Devora - Zahava = Gold, Devora = bee, and I love how it just happens to all fit together. My secular name is Gail Deborah (first & middle names). Jewish children are given Hebrew names (in memory of a deceased relative, in some Jewish communities in honor of a relative) in addition to English names shortly after birth. I always liked the Hebrew word for mommy- Ima (pronounced ee'mah), so that's what I called my mom for years. Aba - ah'bah = "daddy," and that's what I called my dad as well.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In the same way, there is a Ronald McDonald who has a funeral home.

"Ronald McDonald is doing the funeral." :laugh2:

No-one could take that seriously!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
By the way, I think you have a lovely name @WednesdayMarch . I know her from Irish mythology, but was she a character in Cornish mythology as well?

CaroLiza_fan
Thank you! She's not, as far as I am aware, but I was once assured that in Cornish it means "song of the sea". I didn't like to disillusion the self-avowed "Cornish language expert" that he had it the wrong way around...