Vincent Zhou | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear Vincent had a little mishap. Gee, never a dull moment! Luckily we're in the off-season, but stlll -- hope he's ok and recuperates quickly!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear Vincent had a little mishap. Gee, never a dull moment! Luckily we're in the off-season, but stlll -- hope he's ok and recuperates quickly!

Thank you, Arriba! Luckily, he looked to be in good spirits as he utilizes the off ice time for some important visits. It's a shame that fans who planned to see him in the next couple of weeks will miss out. Hope the injury is not serious.

SOI made a fun lip sync video to the song "Video Killed the Radio Star" with the cast, shot between on ice rehearsals. Vincent didn't lip sync, but he did his spins (1:40 - 2:03) and posing at the end (3:01). Thank you, Jeffrey & Jason! .

Zenchio63

Final Flight
How fun would it be if Vincent gets to do a quad Lutz routine with Sasha & Anna, one upping them by doing the Rippon while they do the Tano. :laugh:

sheetz

Record Breaker
You were, right, sheetz! So happy for all the Japanese fans and for Vincent for such a great opportunity! :hap85:

P.S. I know you mentioned a different show, the ICE. But we're not going to be picky here. ;) Plus it will be fun to skate with the Russian quad girls. And my favorite Alena Kostornaia! :yay:

Well, there's still a chance for The Ice ;) but nobody expected Vincent to be invited to DOI because that would be a departure from previous years when they only invited one men's guest skater. DOI is supposed to be the Japan national team exhibition so it's a bit weird that they would invite so many guest skaters.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Well, there's still a chance for The Ice ;) but nobody expected Vincent to be invited to DOI because that would be a departure from previous years when they only invited one men's guest skater. DOI is supposed to be the Japan national team exhibition so it's a bit weird that they would invite so many guest skaters.

Maybe they had an opportunity to invite all the Eteri Wonder Girls together and couldn't pass up the chance. Nathan has enough star power on his own, but it would be more entertaining to have an additional male guest to help even out the Ying Yang dynamic. :biggrin:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Hopefully Vincent can also be invited to The Ice :). I think it is the most fun/entertaining among the shows.

Per his instagram, Vincent is visiting Columbia. Looks like he got accepted to some really amazing schools, excited to see where he ends up going.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Latest IG post from Vincent, standing in front of Brown's Van Wickle Gate in crutches:

Took a fall backstage during the Long Island show and injured my knee so I won't be able to perform with Stars On Ice this weekend and possibly next. We'll see. I'm really sorry for those of you who were hoping to see me 😔. I'm doing my best to heal up and return for the last few weekends of Stars! Meanwhile, during my off time, I'm remaining productive with very important things 😉.

:sad21:

16Olympics

On the Ice
Don't know what the ice situation is at Columbia but there are a lot of amazing rinks in NYC. In other news, Karen Chen has Cornell as her college choice. She was at the ice rink there spinning. So sad about Vincent's mishap. Hope he recovers soon with no long term damage.

Zenchio63

Final Flight

I know, formersk8ter! Poor Vincent, just getting started on the tour, learning the routines, but the unfortunate injury is interrupting his performance flow. Hope the injury is minimal and he recuperates soon and completely to continue SOI & be well enough for future ice show(s) in Japan! Fans from the Japanese fan club are all sending him get well wishes. :ghug:

I informed JP Fan Club that the hashtag #GetwellsoonVince is already taken by "Entourage" fans, LOL. Hope there won't be any confusion.

It's very nice of IFS Magazine & Jack Gallagher of Sports Japan to wish Vincent a speedy recovery, too.
Haven't seen any IGS or messages from the SOI cast. :scratch2: It would be nice if they send Vincent an official Get well wish.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Hopefully Vincent can also be invited to The Ice :). I think it is the most fun/entertaining among the shows.

Per his instagram, Vincent is visiting Columbia. Looks like he got accepted to some really amazing schools, excited to see where he ends up going.

Yeah, oatmella, keeping our fingers crossed that Vincent will get invited to The Ice, too! :pray: :2thumbs:

It's great that Vincent is able to still walk around and climb up on the steps & monuments at Columbia. I wonder if the phrase "vinny vidi vici" (clever pun, just don't call him Vinny :biggrin: ) & the pose next to the Alma Mater statue = he already "conquered" the goal of choosing his options? No matter what, Vincent is one of the smartest persons ever and will make the best choice for him. Wishing him nothing but the best! :thumbsup:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Catching up with some additional SOI clips:

Compilation clips of cast by Jordan Cowan of "On Ice Perspectives" filmed during rehearsals in FL

From Fort Myers, FL show, taken by same IG account:
End of Vincent's Ex "Slow Dancing in the Dark"
"Pump Up the 90s" group number (Everybody Dance Now!)
"Trusty & True" group number

Close up clips of Vincent during the group numbers at the Long Island show:
"Pump Up the 90s" (I Want It That Way)
"Made in China" - cantilever & wonderful footwork
"Trusty & True"- kneeling

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@Zenchio63 thank you for spending time respond to my posts, you are welcome to continue pick on me or disagree with me if you feel like it:biggrin:. but just so you know, I will continue be myself on this board or any places. Even if some of my posts may not cater to Vincent's liking (just conjecture, will never know what is in Viny's head), let alone other Vincent fans, I will still post them if I think it is worthy based my own judgement. This is my style, has always been. Ofc any discussion is welcomed, can always agree to disagree.:biggrin: The bottomline is I comment/post about Vincent is because I care, I am a fan! All my posts about Vincent or about figure skating in general are coming from my heart.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Vincent Chinese Fanclub translated one lengthy and informative interview from Japanese media after 4CC
https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404364562752255914#_0
https://global.canon/ja/event/skating/interview/2018_2019/vincent.html
I don't know if has been shared on this board yet, if you know Chinese or japanese, it is better to read the original article.
but here are some key point (my personal excerpt)
"改进跳跃技术的过程是漫长而艰辛的。周数不足是一个大问题,而我清楚地意识到我应该在哪些方面下功夫。在很长的一段时间里我都集中精神,只训练自己注意在跳跃过程中快速地收紧身体,完成旋转。"
it is a slow and long process to change jump tech, under-rotation is a big problem, but I know clearly which aspects I should put my effort into (referring to jump tech), for a long time in practice, I have focused on how to quickly reach the tight rotation and finish the rotation in the air.

"多亏了为我编舞的Lori Nichol和给我提供了许多帮助的Kurt Browning。在多伦多的一周,在他们的指导下,我对自己的节目进行了打磨。最后一天,我合着乐曲完整地表演了我的短节目后,Kurt边擦拭着眼泪边对我说:“在此之前,我从未见过你的表现能如今天这般出色。”在那之后,我终于切实地感觉到,我在逐步成长为一名不仅仅局限于完成四周跳,而是还能尽情地演绎音乐的选手。"
Thanks to my choreographer Lori and Kurt who has given me much help, during the week in Toronto, under their instruction, I further polished my program, in the last day, I performed my SP musically, Kurt was in tears and tole me "I have never seen you perform as wonderful as today," "after that, I realized that, I indeed can grow into a skater not only limited in quad jumps but also can interpret the music freely"

"是的。自由滑比赛之前我感受到了很大的压力" yes, I have tremendous pressure going into the free (referring leading after SP)

"在此之前我满脑子想的都是四周跳,但这次我却想着“能够从事这项运动真是太好了”,带着幸福的心情完成了节目。我听着观众们的声援和他们合着音乐打拍子的声音,很受鼓舞。"
Before, all I thought about is quad jumps, but this time, what I thought about is "i am so luck to continue with figure skating this sport". with this mindset, I performed my programs with joy, I could hear the support from the audience and their hand clapping go along with the music, I am really inspired.

"但只有滑冰能让我觉得“还想再练一会儿,还想再来一次”。只要是为了滑冰,早起也不辛苦了,努力也变得充满乐趣。有史以来第一次,我觉得我遇到了真正兴趣之所在。"
(Vincent has tried many sports before), but only figure skating let me feel "I wanna skate a little more, one more time please". if it is for figure skating, wake up early is not a burden, working hard never felt so interesting. for the first time in my life, I realized I found my passion.:luv17:

"Axel跳就像是用左边冰刃削冰一样,我觉得这个好难,花了很长时间才学会。反而是4Salchow先跳出来之后,我开始掌握那种身处空中的感觉,然后才跳出了3Axel。"
axel jump is like scraping the ice using your left foot, I thought it is so difficult, it took me a while to get it, instead, I learned 4S first, after I mastered the feeling in the air (for 4S), then I got my 3A. (But I like Vincent's 3A a lot:biggrin: Lately, also his 4S, the distance his S covers lately, so beautiful:love: I really love that:luv17: )

"每个都很喜欢。虽然现在我在比赛中已经成功跳出过4Toe loop(后外点冰四周跳)、4Salchow(后内结环四周跳)、4Flip(后内点冰四周跳)、4Lutz(勾手四周跳),但我还是想以全种类为目标。不管哪个四周跳,我都觉得非常帅气。"
"I like all quads, I have succesfully landed 4T, 4S, 4F, 4LZ in comps, but I will aiming at master all quad types (definitely is refering 4loop, not sure if Vincent are talking about 4A here as well ), I feel they are all very handsome (and cute :biggrin:)"

"对于我来说,果然还是想要成为世界上第一个跳出所有五种四周跳的人呢(译者注:周知方可能不知道陈巍已经出了五种不同的四周跳)"
for me, I wanted to become the first human to land all 5 different quads (Vincent may forget that Nathan has already achieved that, but Vincent certainly can aim at become the first human to land all 5 different quads in ONE program :biggrin::luv17:)

”她不仅仅是训练我的用刃(edge work),而且还告诉我如何把这些技巧运用于跳跃。“
(Hamada) she not only train my edge work, but also teach me how to use these edge work skills into jump. (this is not news to us Vincent fans, the proper alignment in edge work (SS) has been applied into Vincent's jump under Hamada sensei's coaching.)

”在她的介绍下,我又得以在科罗拉多继续接受Tom Dickson的指导,目前每天都在为强化基础而努力。“
Due to Hamada Sensei's introduction, I can continue learn from Tom Dickson at Colo Springs. everyday work on strengthening my basics currently.

” 首先,以世锦赛站领奖台为目标,我要用“我要变得更加出色”的气势去迎接比赛。为此,完善技术动作之间的衔接和滑行的任务变得重要起来。对于我来说,不仅是跳跃,我希望我能让在场的观众们享受我的表演、滑行和我在节目中所构筑的世界观。“
(about words) first of all, I am aiming at podium finish, ..... for this, improve the transitions and edge work (SS) between tech element is especially important. for me, not only jump, I wish the audience can enjoy my performance, skating, and the worldview I constructed in my programs.

I indeed saw the visible quality improvement of in-betweens in Vincent's worlds outing. I cried for the first time since watching Vincent's skating, and many fans think that worlds' free outing is Vincent's best in term of musicality and precision.

ETA, about quad loop (4loop:biggrin:),although loop is Vincent's least fav jump, but I think Vincent could attempt to train it and believe Vincent may have a high possibility to get 4loop (based on my observation) but please be cautious. Vincent.
Wish Vincent recover fast and fully, no more stupid back-stage fall in the future please Vincent. Vincent injured his left knee in this incidence (his almost career ending knee injury is on his right knee), also Vincent has some knee problem at 4CC.
Vincent, take care please, tale has it Yuna Queen NEVER wear high heals during her entire figure skating career to avoid injury and protect her achilles tendon.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Latest article from Team USA, really good read:

Embracing Fate, Figure Skater Vincent Zhou Celebrates Banner Skating Season and Looks Ahead

Some important/notable excerpts:

“I had a little accident,” the reigning world bronze medalist explained ruefully in a phone interview with TeamUSA.org this week. Stepping onto the ice at a recent Stars on Ice tour stop, “I took a little fall, and something went off in my knee.”

Though Zhou says the left knee injury isn’t severe and won’t impact his preparation for the 2019-20 season, it has necessitated crutches, a course of treatment and time off the ice for the moment, something the affable, adaptable Zhou has embraced as a small twist of fate — one of many that has permeated an already eventful career.

“I’m the type of person who just tries to focus on myself and tries not to think about placement, but being a perfectionist it’s always in the back of my head,” Zhou admitted. “I was expecting a little too much out of myself after having such incredible skates at the Olympics and then placing top three in the short program at worlds. I just got a little ahead of myself, maybe. I had to sit back and ask myself what’s going on and how can I make it better?”

In the quad-mad world of men’s figure skating, Zhou’s answer might have seemed counterintuitive: back off slightly on the eponymous jump that tends to separate podium contenders from the peloton. Still, Zhou credits the (slightly) less-is-more approach with helping him re-evaluate his priorities. Determined to improve more than just his sometimes under-rotated jumps, he poured his effort into developing his basics and the bones of his programs, paying more attention to details and choreography as he strove to evolve into a perfectly rounded skater.

At just 18, so much is still undecided for Zhou. There’s the question of where he’ll attend college (he’s had a few offers of admission, while declining to name his shortlist), and whether or not he’ll go the Chen route of balancing his studies and elite level training (he’s undecided, though looking into the possibility taking leaves of absence to prepare for major competitions). Long term, he’s pondering a courseload that tilts toward pre-med with an eye toward going into sports psychology or business and economics. Philosophy also remains a huge interest.

What he is sure of is that he’ll continue pushing to become a more complete skater.

“I’m not against trying new ideas,” he said. “I still have lots of room to grow and lots of areas I can expand to. I have no clue what my programs are going to be yet. I will say that my show programs are very, very contemporary and different and I’m having a blast performing them. I’m very open to trying new things.”

One thing he does appreciate is a big, dramatic finish.

“I really do like free skates with big endings and music that send chills through your body,” he said. “My free skate last year ended with ‘Come What May’ (from Moulin Rouge). It was incredible. If I could skate to it every year, I would.”

Hmm, what would be another good piece of music with a dramatic ending to suit Vincent?

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Interview with Vincent right after WTT by Jack Gallagher (Sports Japan) - Ice Time podcast #21 (Soundcloud link). FYI, the interview contains Japanese interpretation after every Q&A sentence/segment.

Jack and Ayano speak with world bronze medalist Vincent Zhou about his successful season, his work with coach Mie Hamada, his career, and thoughts about Yuzuru Hanyu, Shoma Uno and Daisuke Takahashi.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
While Vincent is off the ice recuperating, we are rewarded with a couple of good Japanese articles:

From Mainichi.jp: Thanks to Hamada Sensei, I have improved in two weeks. Vincent Zhou Q&A

The Google translation came out alright. I edited as much as I could to make it flow better.

Q: How many times have you been to Japan?
A: It is the fourth time. The first one came last summer to receive instruction from "Hamada Sensei". The second time is .... No, the first (16 years) Junior Grand Prix (GP) series Yokohama tournament. Last summer is the second time. The third is the NHK Cup (last November). This time (March World Championships and April WTT) is the fourth time.

Q: What kind of season was this season?
A: It was an unbelievable season. This season had a very difficult start. The GP series became difficult because I had a slight back pain.
But after that I was able to start again and consistently showed great improvement. The National Championships in January, the 4CC in February, the World Championships, and the WTT have improved in all competitions. I think it's proof that I've practiced hard and I wanted to get better in this season. And I am proud to be able to perform the best at the present in a WTT competition. It has been a successful season.

Q: Hamada coach was standing at the rink side in Worlds & WTT. How are you being coached?
A: Last summer I came to Japan to try some new things. I wanted to go to a good coach and improve my technical side to become a better skater. However, many top coaches are already coaching many top men. So even if I went, it would not be so dedicated.
But there is no top male skater under "Hamada Sensei". She was happy to teach me. She watched only one top male skater (?) for several weeks and tried to improve my skating. She loves teaching and skating. She is not a coach for money, or recognition. She just wants to help her students. She enjoys skating. She knows the basics of skating technique and knows how to use it and how to use it when jumping. My skates are better because I trained with her after the World Championships and in just two weeks with her guidance. I am really grateful to her. She was happy to help me and improve my skating.

Q: Where did you live when you were coached by Hamada?
A: My mother's friend is in Osaka. She is willing to help. She has an apartment and lives there. It was very difficult at first to go to the rink. From the apartment, walk to the nearest station and transfer by train or bus. The first day took about three hours (about three times). I woke up at 5 am and it was 10 o'clock that began to skate (laughs). Every day I made a trip (short trip) to go to the rink and back. As time went on, I gradually learned how to get around and somehow I was able to remember. But it was cool. It was difficult though.

Q: How are you eating?
A: The first day I had to eat at the restaurant. I didn't have time to go to the supermarket. I went out to find a restaurant and ate "eel". I ate rice and vegetables, but it was very delicious. After that, my mother's friends and mother go to the supermarket to buy food, and my mother cooks. Very delicious. It is usually cooked by mother. It's nice to be able to eat at home rather than going to the restaurant every day.

Q: Your mother seems to have quit the job of software engineer for your skating career.
A: Of course, my mother's sacrifice was the most important decision for me to continue skating. If my mother had not quit her job, I could not skate or receive instruction in various places. My skates would not have reached the level that could compete in the United States.
I am very grateful to my mother's sacrifice. Not many parents are willing to do so for their children. But my mother made a difficult decision. When my mother made the decision, I was not very good at skating and I was not yet in the first national championship. It was like a baseless trust, but I was able to succeed with my talents, my hard work, and my mother's support for my “travel”.

Q: I used to travel long distances for skating, and I heard it was difficult.
A: When I received instruction from Ms. Yuka Sato (who won the 1994 World Championships), I was moving to Michigan (with Ms. Sato) with my mother's car. When practicing in Colorado, I used a trailer to carry everything around with me.
When I was practicing with Tammy in Southern California, I was still a child, but we were back on a weekend drive from Southern California to Northern California (home). I moved over 1000 miles a week and spent every weekend with my family. My mother drove a car for 7 hours each week (one way). That was very difficult for my mother. But my mother somehow managed to handle it. She is a "super human." She is a "super mom". I spent a lot of time with her driving. I spent at least 14 hours a week in the car. So the car became my second home. Have a meal, do homework, watch a skate video, go to sleep .... The car was a very special place.

Q: What are your goals in skating? What is your academic goal?
A: I do not know the plan about the school yet. Because I want to participate in the Beijing Olympics in '22. The goal is to win medals and hopefully win. I want to be a champion someday. However, I have not been trained enough and I have to learn more new and good things. We have received many offers for schools, including several top universities. I have a choice, and I have to make a skating or academic decision. I have not decided yet.

Q: Are you going to go to university in the future?
A: Yes. Probably. It'll be after I finish skating. It is very difficult to balance skating with academics.

Q: Finally. Could you tell me your personality in three words?
A: Introverted, diligent. With a sense of humor (?)

Love the photo used for the article. A Japanese fan has described this move of his as (translation) "lymphatic massage" spread eagle, LOL.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Forgot to include link to Yahoo! Japan article, which is almost identical in content, with some additional information:

"I wanted to improve the (jump) technique with a good coach."

"The main advice (from Hamada) was on how to use the body, such as how to place the center of gravity in a jump. The axis was fixed and the icing also became clean."