What are you listening to right now? | Page 113 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Happy 89th birthday, John Williams! 🎂

His music is so iconic and such a war horse in figure skating programs that it's hard to pick a favorite.

I remember hearing the music in the TV movie Jane Eyre and loving it, long before I knew it was composed by John Williams.

Jane Eyre Suite

Speaking of War Horse, in January 2020 John Williams conducted the Vienna Philharmonic for the first time and music from the Steven Spielberg movie War Horse was included in the program.

Dartmoor, 1912

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Mary Wilson, the only member of The Supremes that was in the line-up from when they started under the name "The Primettes" in 1959 right through to when they finally disbanded in 1977, died on Monday at the age of 76.

The songs that most of us know are from the era when Diana Ross was the lead singer. After she left in 1970, Jean Terrell was brought in as lead singer. And after she left in 1973, Scherrie Payne was brought in as lead singer. The result is that in all the years that she was a member of The Supremes, there was only one single released where Mary was the sole lead vocalist. So, here it is:

The Supremes - "Early Morning Love"

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mary Wilson, another person gone way too soon. :cry: I always loved the Supremes (and Motown music in general). RIP, Mary. :pray:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea jazz pianists in duo Mozart concert (music is at 1:55, an encore I think?)
RIP Chick Corea...:bow::clap:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, maybe I'm a bit late to the party (like, nearly 25 years late!), but I just heard an instrumental piece that I recognised as being the backing track of a song from the 90's, and was shocked when the presenter of the programme (Mickey Bradley, the bassist with the Undertones) said that it was actually an instrumental cover of a song from the 60's that I have known and loved for years.

Frankly, I couldn't believe what I was hearing him say!

So, let's start with the original song:

The Rolling Stones - "The Last Time"

And move onto the instrumental:

Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra - "The Last Time"

And now for the 90's song:

The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony"

Now I get that the music from the last two are basically identical. But, I do not get how Andrew Loog Oldham's instrumental is a cover of the Rolling Stones song. They sound nothing like each other! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched "Sweet Charity" (1969). And I was surprised to find a song that I have always loved was in it:

Sammy Davis Junior - "Rhythm Of Life"

However, this is not the version of the song that I remember hearing over the years. And I am driving myself mad trying to work out who was singing the version that I know! :drama:

All I know is that it wasn't this version I just found by some more icons:

Diana Ross And The Temptations - "Rhythm Of Life"

It could well have been a studio version from Sammy that I am remembering. But, I just can't think!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
To Corsica's finest!

Alizée Jacotey - "J'en Ai Marre!"

Warning: If you consider wet clothing to be NSFW, then the video above is NSFW. However, below is an alternative video which does not feature wet clothing, of a performance on a TV programme:

Alizée Jacotey - "J'en Ai Marre!"

I admit, I didn't discover Alizée until a few years after this song was released. "Mademoiselle Juliette" (2007) was the first song I heard, and it was that song that made me a fan of her's. But, I would say that "J'en Ai Marre!" is my favourite Alizée single.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
While watching the Spring Star this morning, I loved the music that Eva CORAL GORONOVSKAYA (great name!) was using for her FS.

I hadn't heard it before, but I wanted to find out what it was. It was obviously based on Frédéric Chopin's "Prelude Opus 28, No. 20, in C Minor", and it even had a few bars that were lifted directly from the famous song that is based on that prelude, "Could It Be Magic". But, this was was not an instrumental version of the Barry Manilow song. This piece had a traditional Far East Asian feel to it.

I imagined it would be impossible to find out what it was. But, it wasn't. I went to the Wikipedia page for that prelude, and it listed works that were based on it. And, working from the bottom of the list, it was the third one I tried that was the one I was looking for.

So, here it is!

The Piano Guys - "Kung Fu Piano: Cello Ascends"

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And just before posting that previous post, I heard another song that I loved. This time, I did know the song already, but I just hadn't heard it for ages.

Whereas the last song had Chinese influences, this was a Gujurati song.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali - "Nagada Sang Dhol"

And before anybody asks, yes the skater in question was doing the "Bollywood hands".

I'm not naming the skater, because she was competing in the Under-13 competition (presumably due to the sheer number of entries, the Advanced Novice Ladies were split into 2 age divisions at the Spring Star). But, if you know who you are looking for, there are videos on YouTube of her doing this programme earlier in the season.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
During the Spring Star yesterday, I posted the following after Yelizaveta YUN (KAZ) did her Short Programme:

Watching a Kazakh skater with a Korean surname there now sure brought on mixed emotions. Happy memories remembering Denis skating. And sad memories remembering how he left us.

Well, today in the Free Skate, she skated to a song that I absolutely love, but hadn't heard for years:

Jennifer Lopez - "Ain't It Funny"

I don't know why, but that song always makes me emotional. It always seemed to strike a chord with me.

So, that's two days in a row Liza Yun has had this effect on me. :drama:

I'm going to have to watch out for her! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Amei

Record Breaker
And just before posting that previous post, I heard another song that I loved. This time, I did know the song already, but I just hadn't heard it for ages.

Whereas the last song had Chinese influences, this was a Gujurati song.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali - "Nagada Sang Dhol"

And before anybody asks, yes the skater in question was doing the "Bollywood hands".

I'm not naming the skater, because she was competing in the Under-13 competition (presumably due to the sheer number of entries, the Advanced Novice Ladies were split into 2 age divisions at the Spring Star). But, if you know who you are looking for, there are videos on YouTube of her doing this programme earlier in the season.

CaroLiza_fan

Volosozhar and Trankov had a program to that song

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Volosozhar and Trankov had a program to that song

Yep, I remember it. :)

And for a special treat, here is the video of their highest scoring performance of that programme (video courtesy of our very own @sabinfire ):

24th December 2015 - Russian Championships SP

This was the SP from their swansong season. I am finding that very hard to get my head around. It really doesn't seem like 5 years since they retired.

Time really is flying.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid that we are returning to the obituaries. American composer Jim Steinman has died from kidney failure at the age of 73.

You may not recognise the name (I didn't at first when I started reading the story), but you will definitely recognise his music. He was a regular collaborator with Meat Loaf, composing 4 whole albums for him. All of his most famous songs were written by Steinman. But, Steinman was also wrote for a lot of other artists.

In this tribute, I am going to link to a selection of Steinman songs that I love. But, since I am a massive fan of Meat Loaf, there is a danger that it could become a list of his songs with a few extras. So, I am going limit it to include just one Meat Loaf song. The masterpiece.

Meat Loaf - "Bat Out Of Hell"

Bonnie Tyler - "Total Eclipse Of The Heart"
Bonnie Tyler - "Holding Out for a Hero"
Céline Dion - "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" (OK, so this was also recorded by Meat Loaf :p )
Take That - "Never Forget"
Boyzone - "No Matter What"

"Never Forget" was written by Gary Barlow, but produced by Jim Steinman. "No Matter What" was taken from the musical "Whistle Down The Wind", which was a collaboration between Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jim Steinman.

And that is just a small selection of Jim Steinman's work.

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan