What are you listening to right now? | Page 120 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Haven't finished watching last night's Eurovision Semi-Final 2 yet. But, I just reached the second interval act, and HAD to share it straight away.

It's "Grande Amore", Jim, but not as we know it! ;)

Il Volo - "Grande Amore"

And now for the big question that is on all our lips:

Is this rocked-up version any more acceptable to @elektra blue than the regular version?

CaroLiza_fan
i can't tell, i muted them as soon as they appeared :LOL: 🙉

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
i can't tell, i muted them as soon as they appeared :LOL: 🙉

Ach, you and your long held biases! :bang: You really missed a treat.

And I suppose you sat and listened to Laura Pausini and Mika's duet. It was awful! :drama:

By the way, if you are interested in my opinions on the 2 Semi-Finals, they are in the dedicated 2022 Eurovision thread.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Such a lovely song .. and how I am feeling today
We must enjoy such moments

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Vangelis has died at the age of 79. He had COVID-19.

I just loved Vangelis' music. He was an absolute genius, and will be sorely missed.

As my tribute, I am going to use one of my favourite pieces of skating music:

Vangelis - "Conquest Of Paradise"

OK, so you can't have a Vangelis tribute without including his most famous soundtrack piece too:

Vangelis - "Charoiots Of Fire"

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Vangelis has died at the age of 79. He had COVID-19.

I just loved Vangelis' music. He was an absolute genius, and will be sorely missed.

As my tribute, I am going to use one of my favourite pieces of skating music:

Vangelis - "Conquest Of Paradise"

OK, so you can't have a Vangelis tribute without including his most famous soundtrack piece too:

Vangelis - "Charoiots Of Fire"

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan
RIP 😢 I will add this… from
The Year of Living Dangerously

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
RIP 😢 I will add this… from
The Year of Living Dangerously

https://youtu.be/cBBQNKHqrgk

I don't actually know that film, but thank you for adding the link to the music.

It was nice to hear something different. Normally when you think of Vangelis, you think of really epic pieces. But, this was more gentle and peaceful. It was still recognisable as Vangelis, though. And I liked the way that it started off with just the piano playing. Just like his music career started!

I've been saying for years that we don't get enough Vangelis music being skated to. So, it will be interesting to see how many skaters use his music this coming season as a tribute now that he is gone. And if there is much variety, or whether they all go for the same big pieces.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't actually know that film, but thank you for adding the link to the music.

It was nice to hear something different. Normally when you think of Vangelis, you think of really epic pieces. But, this was more gentle and peaceful. It was still recognisable as Vangelis, though. And I liked the way that it started off with just the piano playing. Just like his music career started!

I've been saying for years that we don't get enough Vangelis music being skated to. So, it will be interesting to see how many skaters use his music this coming season as a tribute now that he is gone. And if there is much variety, or whether they all go for the same big pieces.

CaroLiza_fan
Great beautiful and tough film about a difficult time (1964 Indonesia just before the fall of Sukarno).. extreme poverty, Communism, PKI, yellow press journalism, juxtaposed with the serenely beautiful.. early Vangelis got it right.
Linda Hunt played Billy Kwan the photojournalist and mentor to Mel Gibson’s Aussie Journey Guy Hamilton..
She won an Oscar for the Role.. and Vangelis should have for the soundtrack. “Like Water From The Moon”.. it’s an old Javanese saying, Boss, meaning something one can never have..

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sorry to hear of Vangelis' passing. Loved the entire soundtrack of "1492" (even though we have never seen the movie). I bought that soundtrack because I loved how Hartshorn & Sweiding, Elvis, & Todd skated to it. In the meantime, I bought another Vangelis CD that has many selections from other soundtracks that he did. RIP, Vangelis.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I watched last night's first Semi-Final of "Britain's Got Talent" this afternoon, and wanted to share the interval act:

"Bad Romance", "Seven Nation Army", "Toxic", "Sweet Deams", and "Bad Romance" (reprise) medley

I'm sure we've heard parts of this medley being skated to this season, haven't we @elektra blue...? :devil:

I actually intended posting in here yestarday afternoon after I finished watching the last audition show, which had been broadcast on Saturday night. The guy whose audition was the last to be shown was just unbelievable:

Maxwell Thorpe - 2022 BGT Audition

Somebody help me - who does his Dad remind me of? I'm sure it's a former skater, but I can't think who!

It's a shame that all the Golden Buzzers had already been given out, because he was definitely better than some of the acts that did get one. Hey, you could see in Simon Cowell's face that he wanted to sign him up there and then.

And just by chance, Maxwell was the last to perform on last night's Semi-Final too:

Maxwell Thorpe - 2022 BGT Semi-Final

I won't give away whether he got through to the Final or not. All I will say is that my 3 favourite acts from the night were in the Top 3.

I'm really looking forward to hearing him again, and seeing how he gets on after BGT. Because this guy definitely has a voice that could make him a star.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For the past week, I have been watching a series on a channel that I hadn't even flicked onto for about 20 years. And every time I hear the music on the advert for the sponsor for the channel's morning programming, I start singing this song in my head:

Spice Girls - "Say You'll Be There"

I swear, the first few notes of the advert are exactly the same as the first few notes of this song! 😲

[I'm not talking about the preview of the first line of the chorus at the very start].

They diverge after that, though.

CaroLiza_fan

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
To add to the vast variety represented on this thread...

My current obsession is this one: Lehetsz király (Les Rois du Monde) from the year 2005 Hungarian version of Romeo et Juliette, Les enfants de Verone (the French musical):

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Pawn Sacrifice - Bobby Wins
James Newton Howard

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An Off Kilter LIVE CD - the Canadian band @ WDW EPCOT (Canada) - rock band with a Celtic feel to it

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Somehow on YouTube Boney M's Rasputin showed up in the recommendation area.

This song is such a trip, the video is even more so :laugh2:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know it’s animation
But it’s pure enchantment..
From Wolfwalkers:
Running With the Wolves
Wolf Wolf Run Free

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
20 years ago I had this crazy idea of downloading all the songs in the 80s that had been on the UK and US charts. I did it and burned down it all on CDs.
I never listened to these CDs until now. I am slowly going through them. It will take years probably as there are more than 10000 songs.

That's what I am listening to now...🤣

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This morning, I switched on the TV, and a scruffy looking guy and a really hot girl were being interviewed on the BBC Breakfast news about a film they were in. I was just about to turn over, when the girl started talking, and she had a very broad Irish accent. Obviously, I was curious to know who she was, and so stayed on BBC1 for the rest of the interview. But, although they put a name graphic up for the guy (James Purefoy), they didn't for her. Fortunately, at the end of the interview, the presenter told us who they were when saying goodbye.

Turns out it was Imelda May! 😲

She looks so different without her quiff! I would never have recognised her! :drama:

So, here is the song of her's that I probably know best:

Imedla May - "Kentish Town Waltz"

And here are a couple of songs from the film they were talking about:

The Fisherman's Friends featuring Imelda May - "Cornwall My Home"

The Fisherman's Friends featuring Imelda May - "Hi Ho Silver Lining"

Then, about half an hour later, I flicked back onto BBC1, and this time my first singing crush, Sonia Evans, was on. And I swear, she has barely aged at all in the past 30 years! :love: :love: :love:

She was on talking about Eurovision, because she is a former UK entry (1993 Runner-Up) and her home city (Liverpool) was one of the places waiting to find out if it had made the short list for hosting the 2023 contest (it did).

And by sheer coincidence, she was also a pointless answer for one of the questions in the final round of tonight's episode of "Pointless"! They were looking for acts which had a UK Top 40 single with either "stop", "look" or "listen" in the title, and Sonia was a pointless answer for the word "listen".

So, here is the song that earned her that honour:

Sonia - "Listen To Your Heart"

Suffice to say, I had picked Sonia as my answer. :biggrin:

@elektra blue - this post should be right up your street. Imelda AND a redhead!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: