Who is retiring after Olympic year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is retiring after Olympic year?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So many great skaters listed here. They've become household names. They will be missed, but a new crop of skaters will come along. The new kids certainly will have a lot of wonderful skaters to inspire them as they grow just as these skaters did.

bobbob

Medalist
To be honest, compared to other Olympic years, I expect the "dropoff" or number of retirements to be far less. From 2014-2018, ladies had a number of retirements (Yu-Na, Mao, Adelina, Julia, Gracie), pairs a few (V/T, P/T, Szolkowy) or mixups (MT/M, P/Z, Y/J), dance (D/W, I/K, P/B), mens everyone mostly stook around. I expect all the top ladies (Carolina included) to stick around, men all except Javier, pairs all except Duhamel and Radford (if S/M are going to worlds, it seems likely they will continue at least 1 year--they said they wanted to), and all dance except Virtue/Moir. Of course I define top teams loosely but the point is even after this year things will be very interesting!

purpledream

On the Ice
Looks like a big part of this generation of team spirited Canadian skaters will be retiring. They went out in a bang and the camaraderie and support shown by them is truly amazing. Eric Radford is indeed an amazing team captain and I think we will miss him and especially Meagan’s competitive fire. Must say that Meagan and Aljona are probably the grittiest competitors. With PChan and Tessa and Scott also hanging up after Pyeongchang, this generation of lovely Canadian folks will really be off. Sad.

me too :(
D/R have been such a lovely pair, and the whole Canadian team - PChan, V/M, D/R, and the lovely ladies Kaetlyn/Gabrielle, and even Messing, KT/M came to support so im super sad!
Scott and Eric had a moment as past and current team captains - and winning that Gold that they really wanted was just amazing

Alijona is such a lovely skater - so glad she won Gold, and I hope she goes to worlds (let her and Bruno have one more skate); though i feel skipping it and leaving here is also fine. Just that 3 seasons only w Bruno seems so short! But ending it with this olympic gold medal, and (i have to mention their matching costumes with those purple olympic walls?!?!)

the generation of skaters I grew up with retired after sochi, and those left/came back would be retiring after pyeong chang
truly a generation :cry:

purpledream

On the Ice
Nothing to be sad about. He's had ups and downs, but retiring with an Olympic medal and 2 world medals is a tremendous achievement.

It's time for him to go back to his homeland, coach a bunch of goodie skaters and return as a skating coach!!!!
and/or do something else he really wants and wishing him great success in his future endeavours

It has been great watching him! :hap93:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Even ASHLEY might not retire, I don’t see anyone who isn’t retiring here (except mb Carolina and Misha) retiring for good

Winry

On the Ice
He did
The inaccurate information come from EuropeOnIce twitter accompt. They translate his instagram post but make a mistake, so they apologies. Denis has annonce no plan for his future! No retirement!!
I think he will retire but I'm glad he didn't !!

draka

Rinkside
Since the Split & Partner Changes thread for this season is already archived for some reason, I'm going to post this here:

Angelique Abachkina and Louis Thauron have split. She's going to search for a new partner (Source)

I assume this is in part due to them not making it to the Olympics.

Weathergal

Medalist
Since the Split & Partner Changes thread for this season is already archived for some reason, I'm going to post this here:

Angelique Abachkina and Louis Thauron have split. She's going to search for a new partner (Source)

I assume this is in part due to them not making it to the Olympics.

But they're fresh out of juniors so making it this early wasn't necessarily expected - although maybe that was their expectation? They did come close though. Whatever the reason, I liked this team and am sorry they split.