Who's here for the summer? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who's here for the summer?

yesterday

Record Breaker
maybe..
what about this photo of Gaby Seyfert

ahhh just difficult! Would be nice if DEU had a decent archive somewhere but they probably only have one offline or just West or just East. Or it's destroyed.
If there's no one here we could still try and e-mail them and cross fingers? In this case, I can offer to write or translate if desired.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know where to post this as the relevant thread has been closed, but the ISU has announced that the two other Grand Prix events will be in Sheffield (hurrah!) and Espoo, Finland. https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1546474486307950599

How wonderful for Great Britain to get a GP! I'm assuming that our favorite DiscoBrits (aka Fear and Gibson) will be excited and will be on the roster for that one (even though they train in Montreal).

Some of my favorite bands are from Sheffield: Pulp, Arctic Monkeys, ABC, The Thompson Twins....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will be MIA for awhile. Going to the busiest airport in the world times four to see the largest airshow in the world. I will be talking with pilots who the US Army Airforce said couldnt be trusted with aircraft as they would turn them over to the Nazis. My fav quote from their lectures...."Why do you call me African American? Do I call YOU European Americans?" :)
Thank you, Gentlemen, for protecting my Uncle over the skys of Europe.
a president.jpg
A col.jpg
aaa craig.jpg
a george Hardy.jpg

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This is just my luck. The year none of my lovelies can compete, we've got a GP. Brilliant. Smashing. :mad:
Yeah, this year JWC is in my city, and I was waiting for it for 3 years, ever since they announced it, and they never have anything in Calgary, and… same thing. My favourites are banned. Moreover, the longer I think about it, the more uncomfortable I become with punishing children for the sins of their parents philosophy underpinning this decision. This summer is just full of uncomfortable philosophical thoughts and more and more depressing.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, this year JWC is in my city, and I was waiting for it for 3 years, ever since they announced it, and they never have anything in Calgary, and… same thing. My favourites are banned. Moreover, the longer I think about it, the more uncomfortable I become with punishing children for the sins of their parents philosophy underpinning this decision. This summer is just full of uncomfortable philosophical thoughts and more and more depressing.
When worlds were in my city... covid shut down the planet... I sympathize... who knows if i will be able to see words when they come in 2024... i had organized my entire life around that... taken time off work etc... Hopefully you find a way to really enjoy JWC despite the absence of 3 skaters per discipline...

LadyB

Record Breaker
When worlds were in my city... covid shut down the planet... I sympathize... who knows if i will be able to see words when they come in 2024... i had organized my entire life around that... taken time off work etc... Hopefully you find a way to really enjoy JWC despite the absence of 3 skaters per discipline...
That's 12 altogether. A proper team size. It is a difference when you're favourite team isn't there. The team you love with all your heart and which is the main reason to attend an event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's 12 altogether. A proper team size. It is a difference when you're favourite team isn't there. The team you love with all your heart and which is the main reason to attend an event.
3 per disciplines = 12 in total :) we are saying the same thing... I understand but with Juniors, we do not know always ahead of time who is your fave... right? I mean... when I went to Nationals in Ottawa to see Patrick skate, I would have been very upset if he had not skated... I get that... but for Junior worlds, we never even know from season to season who will line up on the JGP, so, even less who will be selected for JWC. Unless you are saying that altogether, one prefers Russian juniors. I tend to like skaters from a variety of countries...

LadyB

Record Breaker
3 per disciplines = 12 in total :) we are saying the same thing... I understand but with Juniors, we do not know always ahead of time who is your fave... right? I mean... when I went to Nationals in Ottawa to see Patrick skate, I would have been very upset if he had not skated... I get that... but for Junior worlds, we never even know from season to season who will line up on the JGP, so, even less who will be selected for JWC. Unless you are saying that altogether, one prefers Russian juniors. I tend to like skaters from a variety of countries...
I totally get you and you're right. (y) Especially as far as Junior events are concerned.

I happily admit that I'm a fan of certain skaters in the first place, rather than the sport FS as such. I'm mainly a team sport fan, so, yeah, I translate this mentality to FS, loving and supporting Team Russia first and foremost, no matter what (Senior and Junior). It's similar to me supporting my hockey/soccer teams even with a player who is not necessarily my favourite (I'm annoyingly passionate and emotional about my teams :rolleyes:). I'm watching a gazillion Russian junior events online every season (regional/national/pre-novices/novices/juniors) and I've been following most of the JGP candidates for the past six years, so I would know them (well, boys, pairs, ice dance, not so good with the girls at that stage).

Of course I like skaters from other countries as well, some people here might know that I'm a mad Piper/Paul fan and my all time fave is Toller Cranston (nobody like him, ever!❤️) There is also a long list of other skaters/pairs/dance teams whom I genuinely like without being an outright fan. However, I wouldn't make an effort to pay for travel and hotel if my heart is not totally in it. Different story if I'd live in or close to the host city. I've been hoping for a GP in GB or Ireland for ages, and now there is a prospect when I can't be asked.

I'm super happy though that I saw Piper/Paul live ... in Moscow (double whammy). :love2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I totally get you and you're right. (y) Especially as far as Junior events are concerned.

I happily admit that I'm a fan of certain skaters in the first place, rather than the sport FS as such. I'm mainly a team sport fan, so, yeah, I translate this mentality to FS, loving and supporting Team Russia first and foremost, no matter what (Senior and Junior). It's similar to me supporting my hockey/soccer teams even with a player who is not necessarily my favourite (I'm annoyingly passionate and emotional about my teams :rolleyes:). I'm watching a gazillion Russian junior events online every season (regional/national/pre-novices/novices/juniors) and I've been following most of the JGP candidates for the past six years, so I would know them (well, boys, pairs, ice dance, not so good with the girls at that stage).

Of course I like skaters from other countries as well, some people here might know that I'm a mad Piper/Paul fan and my all time fave is Toller Cranston (nobody like him, ever!❤️) There is also a long list of other skaters/pairs/dance teams whom I genuinely like without being an outright fan. However, I wouldn't make an effort to pay for travel and hotel if my heart is not totally in it. Different story if I'd live in or close to the host city. I've been hoping for a GP in GB or Ireland for ages, and now there is a prospect when I can't be asked.

I'm super happy though that I saw Piper/Paul live ... in Moscow (double whammy). :love2:
Yes... when it means traveling, I guess the incentive may not be there as much... I understand that... However, it's different for @lariko here... the event is in her city. Are you planning to attend the GP in Sheffield? I have never traveled very far (2-3 hours away) to attend events... I also wasn't planning to go to Calgary nor even Skate Canada this year... hoping for Worlds in Montreal to redeem all my attending skating competition self-indulgence points... I have a lot of points accumulated with the recent years.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Yes... when it means traveling, I guess the incentive may not be there as much... I understand that... However, it's different for @lariko here... the event is in her city. Are you planning to attend the GP in Sheffield? I have never traveled very far (2-3 hours away) to attend events... I also wasn't planning to go to Calgary nor even Skate Canada this year... hoping for Worlds in Montreal to redeem all my attending skating competition self-indulgence points... I have a lot of points accumulated with the recent years.
No, I cannot imagine there would be anyone who'd attract me to go there. Sheffield is a great city and it's not actually that far away, but with many of my non-Russian faves retired or taking a break, even with C/B and Piper/Paul (if they're still competing 🙏), it's tempting but I probably wouldn't bother. The only incentive I'd have is if Fedor Klimov would accompany any of the foreign Mozer Team affiliates, but this is unlikely, as the Russian fed mirrors competitions on the same dates as ISU GPs and he has at least one team in there.

In @lariko 's case, we're talking Juniors and I for one wouldn't bother even if I'd lived in the same city.

I don't mind travelling, I've been to Moscow and Sochi five times :p, but there's a different motivation behind it.

You're such a wonderful fan, I hope you get to every comp you want to go to! 🤞

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I like a huge number of Russian juniors so some of them were bound to end on the team. It’s just sad that kids are being banned and that comp in my city will be without my favs. Like, I love junior skating >>> than seniors, and like I wouldn’t believe it would have been without Murav’yeva and Chikmareva/Yanchenkov and Kaganovskaya/Angelopol, and there was always a slim chance Kutovoy or Popov made it, so… like I saw that JWC in my imagination for years, going with mom and rooting for the kids. 🥲 I always thought of Calgary as welcoming. But, eh… it’s just another case of the world telling me to never want anything badly. It will always end up in a crushing disappointment.

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
It's July 27 and my mind is totally off anything related to figure skating. I guess I just came to the Edge to say it :laugh:

On a more serious note though, are there any active threads in other GSk forums that I might be missing right now? (Speakeasy and Le Cafe don't count.)

Weathergal

Medalist
It's July 27 and my mind is totally off anything related to figure skating. I guess I just came to the Edge to say it :laugh:

On a more serious note though, are there any active threads in other GSk forums that I might be missing right now? (Speakeasy and Le Cafe don't count.)
There are active threads in the Skate of the Nations forum of GS.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Nah, I don't go there. These threads are full of extremely sensitive superfans :laugh:

I'll rather wait for more news here as the new season unfolds.
GP Entries and first JGP entries are up. Maybe you find something to discuss about there? Not very active yet, but soon people are waking up, I suppose.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I will be MIA for awhile. Going to the busiest airport in the world times four to see the largest airshow in the world. I will be talking with pilots who the US Army Airforce said couldnt be trusted with aircraft as they would turn them over to the Nazis. My fav quote from their lectures...."Why do you call me African American? Do I call YOU European Americans?" :)
Thank you, Gentlemen, for protecting my Uncle over the skys of Europe.
View attachment 5510
View attachment 5511
View attachment 5512
View attachment 5513
God Bless & Thank You for your service!