Wow, what happened to Irina ? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wow, what happened to Irina ?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, the commentators sure talked a lot, and didn't understand a single bit of it. For all we non-Japanese know they could have been saying the same things we (ok, you :laugh: ) have been saying.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Well, the commentators sure talked a lot, and didn't understand a single bit of it. For all we non-Japanese know they could have been saying the same things we (ok, you :laugh: ) have been saying.

No they were very complementary and surprised at the crowd response. "Captivating."

Little lesson, "so des ne" is agreeing (it is so / so it is) and by inflection in voice is directed. "Hai" is Yes, listen to that alone and you can here the joy and complementary "attitude" they are responding with. These words you will hear more then any in commentary of Nippon. The inflection alone - whether you understand the word or not - is right on. Sound happy or "satisfied" - which one for sure was a little "zealous" to say the least - it is evident they are.

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
Watch this clip of Irina's performance at Japan Super Challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7oKSzobsdg

Wow, I can't believe my eyes. She's completely out of shape after staying out of amature skating for a short 9 months period. This is incredible. Anybody who thinks she can still compete is just daydreaming.

Actually, there's another recent cheesefest where she did two triples.

Event:, Gretchen Wilson Country on Ice. Date:, Nov. 8, 2006.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1metAEKRWY

So at least at that event, she was still in shape, had speed, jumps, and spins.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I dunno. It's tough to tell- the Country on ice costume fits tight on her and her Japan event costume is much more revealing. Maybe just a little more weight. But as far as I'm concerned, meh. Still in decent shape...don't think she's coming back though. She's also getting up there in skating years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's out of shape, that's the reason her jumps are gone, spins are awkward. She's not going to return. And if she keeps on gaining weight like this, she's only 5 meters away from Blu(OGM, can't remember her name), and I'm afraid to say even her pro career will come to an end pretty fast.

she wasn't Russian she's Ukrainian... and the difference between Oksana and Irina is that Oksana has say in how she trains and how her body looks... Irina can't control it all due to meds and the cronic illness she has... it's unfair to think she'll stay unhealthly thin (FOR HER; from what I remember that was the big concern last year)

let's try and fixate on more positive less 'tearing down' sort of topics... with the big events starting up do we need pointless bickering about skaters that aren't even competing this season?

and for the record I am not expecting a comeback from Irina :p :rolleye:

gio

Medalist
Can we just stop with all those threads that are bashing various skaters. In less than two days I've read just bad commentss about Ira, Oksana, Sasha, Katarina Witt... Can we focus more on the positive characteristics of the skaters? I don't say we can't criticize skaters, but some words used are gross and unfair...

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I actually liked the number she was doing. Do you think she was trying to say something about gypsies to Sasha's Dark Eyes?
Nah. I'd say that gypsy signing and dancing in the traditional Russian culture is akin to Latin signing and dancing in contemporary American one. There is just something so very infectious about that music.

Can we just stop with all those threads that are bashing various skaters. In less than two days I've read just bad commentss about Ira, Oksana, Sasha, Katarina Witt... Can we focus more on the positive characteristics of the skaters? I don't say we can't criticize skaters, but some words used are gross and unfair...
:agree:

fscric

On the Ice
Seriously now...is this the only thing you ever post about any skater?

Ant

I'm thinking about the same thing, it seems that this poster's aim on various forums is to make this kind of posts about all elite skaters in order to prop up her current favourites - I've already seen her bash Michelle, Irina, Sasha, Fumie, there might have been others that I'm not aware of. She sure is busy.

tae04

On the Ice
She popped an axel wow. Otherwise I thought she looked fine considering she hasn't skated much.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Isn't she taking medication for her condition, too? I'd ease up on her a bit here.

IIRC, Irina takes prednisone for her vasculitis -- and one of the side effects of prednisone is that the taker looks a little "puffy" -- so I think it very likely that her "slowness" could be health related. Without competing, she won't have any adreneline (sp?) rushes to help her speed, either.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
IIRC, Irina takes prednisone for her vasculitis -- and one of the side effects of prednisone is that the taker looks a little "puffy" -- so I think it very likely that her "slowness" could be health related. Without competing, she won't have any adreneline (sp?) rushes to help her speed, either.

It doesn't do much as far as keeping your nerves steady either. My mom is on it and she is very shaky since beginning the use. It is also important to note IMO, Ira really has some "changes to normal body functions" do to this medication.

Interesting to add is some that start taking prednisone loose weight, of course that has nothing to do with being"puffy" looking.

aphrodite_xl

On the Ice

ITA :agree:

I think Irina looks great in both videos and of course she is not going to have the same level she had when she was training full time for competitions. Why should she have?
Prednison is heavy medication and vasculitis is a serious disease so I have a lot of respect for her for even skating at all. I'm not sure many people in the same situation could combine it with being a top athlete. And yes, I still think Irina is a top athlete.

nubka

Final Flight
Well, if nothing else, I like her longer hair! Seriously though, the medications could have a lot to do with her weight, also, maybe she's just enjoying life a little bit more (now that she's not in serious training,) and eating like a regular person...

R.D.

Record Breaker

I think this could be the likely reason more than anything else. Add not doing Olympic training to the mix and of course you're going to gain some weight. But I'd cut her some slack.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about... Irina has already said she's not competing this year... she looked awesome on that wacky country show... my husband was like "THAT's the Russian girl?? They should all look like that & then I'd watch skating!!!" My son said "she's a hottie!" so I doubt a couple of pounds is going to hinder her professional opportunities...

And as we've seen a few times with Irinia, if she decides to compete again ~ then its time for the youngins to get nervous, because she always makes a helluva comeback...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And as we've seen a few times with Irinia, if she decides to compete again ~ then its time for the youngins to get nervous, because she always makes a helluva comeback...
Probably the same reason some of the "youngins" give her such a hard time when ever the slightest "opportunity" arises - and only to be shot down for the insubstantial substance if said negativity. AH Justice.:agree:

I also liked some of the reactions at the Country on ice to Ira, boys be hoop'n and holler'n during those beilmanns for sure.:laugh: :laugh: But It makes me think there has not been anyone that stands out as much in "sex appeal" since Mrs B as Irina (as far as I know - and I am thinking of Nicole - Sasha). Yah she is cute, pretty, beautiful and all - but what she just "oozes" is Sexy without a doubt. IMO

R.D.

Record Breaker
As far as Irina having "sex appeal", I was gonna say something but I'd better not. Anyway, you can probably guess (hint: has to do with her name :rofl: and it's a non-cruel comment ;) )

Last edited:

Jasper

Final Flight
I haven't watched this program yet but I did notice when she was sitting in the stands at the GPF (or was it Cup of Russia?) next to Tatiana Totmianina that she had put on a lot of pounds. It makes you question whether or not she can compete at Russian Nationals this season or if she'll ever work at getting back in shape and competing again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She looks just fine w/the extra weight to me
shrug.gif