Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 169 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I don't want to bring negative vibes here, but I'm very sad about his skating. I don't know if he watched Nathan or knew about the score, but it seems to me that he gave up. He didn't believe he can win, which is very uncharacteristic. I might be wrong though, everyone can have a bad day. I hope this crazy pandemic did not affect him mentally, he seems to be a very emotive person.

Next season I'll try not to care about results and simply enjoy watching him. I'm looking forward for the olympic programs. I've been a fan since R&J1. I won't say the r word. He's the greatest skater of all times for me.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Ohh.. at the presscon he said he had overworked himself practicing on the 4A? Did I get that right? Gosh no more injuries please. Though landing it is what keeps him motivated now.
Again congtras still Yuzu! We're still cheering on for you!

CarolPooh

Rinkside
Bronze medal is still a great achievement, even though Yuzu didn't skate to his potential.
The most important thing to me is Yuzu being healthy and safe (as far as we know). Medals are bonus. We will support you no matter what path you choose in the future. Wish you good health always and hope you will land the 4A cleanly.

yude

Record Breaker
After hearing/reading his comments in the article and press con, I got the impression that Yuzuru may be very very close to succeeding in 4A now. Before the competition, he said he wanted to perform well but not sticking to the good result very much like he always did, and said that he wanted to do his best to contribute to getting 3 spots for Japan and go home healthy. He might have wanted to stay in Sendai avoiding risky travel and continue practicing 4A not to forget the feeling of it because it was almost there, but he may have felt responsible for the country (just my opinion). Anyway, now his will on mastering 4A sounded stronger than ever to me.

Otukaresamadeshita, Yuzuru!!

Last edited:

fanyu23

Rinkside
I feel like Yuzuru has already proven enough and should retire before it affects his mental health. I am a huge fan of his but maybe it would be best to retire post Beijing. We just want him to be happy at the end of the day.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think we all knew what the judges were going to do hell or high water... so I'll stick around for Yuzu and a few others, but after this all round joke of a Worlds, the rest of skating is an ex-interest of mine.

And I don't care if that sounds bitter. The rest are simply not worth it.

Ella339

On the Ice
Yuzu breathing hard and looking exhausted, with the announcer introducing Keegan in the background, which means this was almost 10 minutes after the warmup.
His asthma acting up?
:(

ETA:
This tweet too.
And, as mentioned in the competition thread: the fact that he allegedly showed up to the venue late today, that he didn't do his hair, that he looked deflated before the warmup even started. Something definitely happened...

I hope he'll be okay...

Last edited:

pianistliz

On the Ice
Yuzu breathing hard and looking exhausted, with the announcer introducing Keegan in the background, which means this was almost 10 minutes after the warmup.
His asthma acting up?
:(

ETA:
This tweet too.
And, as mentioned in the competition thread: the fact that he allegedly showed up to the venue late today, that he didn't do his hair, that he looked deflated before the warmup even started. Something definitely happened...

I hope he'll be okay...
That's what I was thinking, probably asthma. Some volunteers allegedly mentioned that he had his inhaler out a lot today on twitter. He's in great shape and I think did all the right things, just suddenly didn't feel well, I think.

ETA: some tweets are saying the Russian Fed doctor treated him for asthma before the free, unconfirmed though. I definitely think it was just plain bad luck today that he didn't skate his best.

Last edited:

Emily98

Rinkside
That's what I was thinking, probably asthma. Some volunteers allegedly mentioned that he had his inhaler out a lot today on twitter. He's in great shape and I think did all the right things, just suddenly didn't feel well, I think.
I briefly wondered about his asthma during the program when he didn't seem as energetic as usual; the video and tweets seem to confirm it... poor Yuzu, that's really bad luck if he had an attack before skating today. If that is actually what happened, I am very impressed that he still managed to get through his free and land on the podium! Props to him for being so strong. I hope he is ok and getting some good rest tonight. <3

DiamondDust

Final Flight
I feel like Yuzuru has already proven enough and should retire before it affects his mental health. I am a huge fan of his but maybe it would be best to retire post Beijing. We just want him to be happy at the end of the day.
Competitions will be different without our boy but yeah. Or he could take a break as well.
Is there a WTT? Will he be joining if there is?

pianistliz

On the Ice
Rewatching his free skate. I really appreciate the ISU commentator's (Mark something?) kind comments towards Yuzuru <3

yude

Record Breaker
Is this article reliable or just a tabloid? ("matchtv" is familiar since I sometimes use their livestream)

So far, Yuzuru hasn't said anything about his body condition, but I won't be surprised if this article is true. His hair, the clip Ella399 posted above (was this aired internationally or only on Fuji TV?), the way he went to the starting position (he was kind of running, I had not seen that before), everything makes sense. I am wondering if Japanese media will report this because Yuzuru may not want it to be known to the public. I really hope he is OK.

yude

Record Breaker
Competitions will be different without our boy but yeah. Or he could take a break as well.
Is there a WTT? Will he be joining if there is?

WTT is in April but we don't know if Yuzuru will compete there. I hope official announcement comes soon, it will be held with the audience and they have to sell the tickets...

giulia95

Medalist
Is this article reliable or just a tabloid? ("matchtv" is familiar since I sometimes use their livestream)

So far, Yuzuru hasn't said anything about his body condition, but I won't be surprised if this article is true. His hair, the clip Ella399 posted above (was this aired internationally or only on Fuji TV?), the way he went to the starting position (he was kind of running, I had not seen that before), everything makes sense. I am wondering if Japanese media will report this because Yuzuru may not want it to be known to the public. I really hope he is OK.
If it’s true or not, no one will ever confirm it, it would be a 2014 COC situation, a dangerous condition for Yuzu’s health and it would be a mess.
Yuzu won’t tell it either.
If that was the case he would learn the lesson he may inhalate tons of allergens in the competition place and treasure it for Olys.

If the asthma attack had really occurred , once again he would have silently skated to a heroic and exceptional performance .

giulia95

Medalist
It’s good Yuzu admitted his asthma attack somehow, he was not tired, he had to face something unexpected he couldn’t control. It would be interesting to know when the asthma attack started.

Think about the bronze medal value now that we know.

Thanks to Russian press which spoke out the truth blocking the same old story he’s done, he’s old etc…
I’m waiting to hear from JSF and from coaches..is there any message?

Last edited:

ankifeather

Final Flight

Seems like our boy isn't too kuyashi about the resulting FS - he knew he was skating whilst fighting an asthma attack, and he feels accomplished he managed to finish the FP. I am glad he is not beating himself too much for it, such situations are totally out of his control.

However, how really unfortunate for him, he was leading in the SP and having near clean run throughs in practice, it is such a pity that this had to happen.

Last edited:

CarolPooh

Rinkside
Unlike in previous competitions, Yuzu has never said that he wanted to win here, only said that he wanted to contribute to the 3 spots. Gold medals are nice but he doesn't seem to be obsessed with victories anymore and his goal now is 4A. As a fan, I just hope he can achieve his dream and skate to his potential. Ranking doesn't matter to me, especially when he seems to be chilled about it.

Nachi

On the Ice
Sorry if it was already entioned and somehow I can't find a time table. I still think Yuzu will participate in the Gala. Has he already been on the ice?

Edit: Ah...don't mind me. Found the time table ^^°.

Last edited: