Yuzuru Hanyu announces retirement | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
wow. Sad to hear this, I hoped he would end on a high note, with some GP victories maybe. But if he feels this is the best moment, then all the best to him from now on. I'm going to miss him in competitions if it's really true.

It wouldn't be surprising though. His new JSF profile doesn't have a new quote, and some Japanese skaters seem to be paying tributes to Yuzuru this season with their outfits... A mere coincidence?

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Somehow I'm not surprised. Apart from his extraordinary achievements, he inspired a whole new generation of skaters and has always been pure class in his behaviour - a wonderful role model. It's really sad to see him go, but I'm sure his influence will continue for many years to come. Otsukaresama, Yuzu, and thank you!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
So he's really leaving competitions. Sad that he's leaving with an OG 4th place as his last result, I wished for a gold finish for him, no matter how small, but he's a had a long and successful career. I hope he'll be able to join a really global skating show in the future.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Quite frankly, this was to be expected. He's getting nowhere near to Chen, his first-ever-4A prospects are slipping away with Malinin, he's aggravating his ankles, and he's not getting younger either. There is a point when you have to call it quits, as sad as it may be. Congrats to him on a remarkable career.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, Yuzu, for so many wonderful years of skating & all those "Pooh-valanches!" I loved the rivalry between him & Javi, and how was supportive of his fellow training partners. All the best to you as a professional skater! 💕 🇯🇵 ⛸️

Fluture

Record Breaker
Wow. It will take some time to truly process this (although, realistically, we all knew the day would come eventually). For now, it all still feels unreal somehow.

On the one hand, I can hardly believe it because, really, figure skating without Yuzuru Hanyu? Does that sport even exist?? It feels like he's been with us for so long, given so much to the sport, and truly defined it for at least the past two Olympic cycles. I also think that, at least artistically (and technically, too, in some aspects), he's retiring at his peak. Who else could skate a program like Rondo, with 6 crossovers in total and transitions galore and make it look that incredible? For this reason alone, I'll probably always wonder what would have happened if he'd been treated differently by the ISU and hadn't had such bad luck in Beijing. But those are my personal feelings as a fan to work through and have nothing to do with Hanyu and his decision.

More important is, that he's free. Free from the ISU, free from their rules, free from the restrictions of competitions. He can skate wherever he wants now, to whatever he wants to, with jumps or without them. He seemed happy and relieved about that and like he has a tons of plans, which is exciting. That he still wants to chase the 4A, but on his own terms, is hilarious and peak Yuzu. He just wants to do it for himself and the fans and doesn't care whether it'll be recognised by the ISU, and I love that for him.

So, mostly it's a mix of feelings for me. Sadness, shock, but also relief, gratitude for the amazing things he's done and we were able to witness, and a lot of curiosity what THAT will do to my already dying interest in the sport. And good luck to the ISU, who now have to fill their seats without the current OGMs and without Yuzuru Hanyu. I don't envy the position they're in, although I'm petty enough to think they deserve it:coffee:

Btw, if anyone wants to take a trip down memory lane (or find programs they haven't had a chance to see), this youtube channel has collected programs from his entire career.

Last edited:

yugra

Rinkside
Country
Hungary
Sad that he's leaving with an OG 4th place as his last result
I don't think it was a defeat.
Yuzuru Hanyu will always be a great legend who changed the skating world.
I feel that he is still evolving as dancer. I want to see his programs in a new-style, too.
And I will always enjoy his delightful skating - it will stay with me forever, like a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.