2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canada needed to overperform and get disasters from Japan to have a shot at a bronze. But Japan delivered and the absence of Messing and G/P under delivering killed any chance of that.
G/P 's 4th place only meant losing a point on Japan as they were expected to finish a rank higher. However, it is making Canada lose 2 points against Italy.. That's the bigger issue for making the free. I would say that Roman really is the one created the most pressure on the team. Second last was really not good. MTM could have scored higher with better SBS jumps but they would still have not beaten Japan and USA with their lower level twist and throw... I don't think they could have scored higher than 75... So... it's really about the singles not so much pairs and dance....

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Yes, actually. The only judge who was super pro-Sui'Han was the American judge. This may have been because the American judge really loved Sui/Han's SP/ (I did) or it may just have been because putting the Russian's second helps the US chances. I think the Chinese judge has to be very careful here because of the issues that arose from their very blatant nationalistic scoring at the last Olympics.
I think at least so far the judging has been pretty fair overall. That said, we haven't seen that many matchup between top competitors and it is early so we will see. I would have swapped the American and Japanese pair, but they were close enough that its a shrug from me.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Both S/H and M/G went clean and got virtually tied here. It’ll be very interesting to see what’s going to happen next week.

Great to see K/F decidedly rising to the occasion. Not a disaster from MT/M, they were not going to score anything above a 70-ish even perfectly clean.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
What I'm saying is if Georgia does well enough, They might be the 5 country
advancing to the final over both Canada and Italy

Ok I see what you’re saying because there is a 5 pt difference now between team China and team Canada.

So if we have this:

1. Russia
2. Japan
3. USA
4. Georgia
5. Canada
6. Ukraine
7. China
8. Germany
9. Italy
10. Czech

Then Canada will make up only two points on China and China will be in. Italy will be out. And Georgia and Canada will be…..tied???

Wow this will be close.

I don’t want to jinx Madi but she doesn’t seem prone to huge mistakes. Mostly just stepping out I think. China, Italy, Germany, and Czech skater do not have 3-3. But the pressure will be immense.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
If anything Russia would want Georgia in the finals, As CHN, ITA, and CAN all threaten them more than Georgia
In Ice dance should D\S compete, And also partly in Men and Pairs.
I think Georgia is more of a threat in the men

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
Well yes ofc it's a great score...but that "improvement" of score they've seen is not based on skating ability.

I counted 4 instances of her blade being shaky on a step or turn in that performance. And the program is not nearly as sophisticated as what Sui/Han are doing. So, there should be a significant gap. But it's not reflected in the marks.
Well of course you didn´t see it. Last worlds, you didn´t see any underrotations from Karen Chen as well. You only see, what you want to see.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I think Georgia is more of a threat in the men
I actually find the strength of Georgia to be a really compelling story of the Olympics. I wish any small rising country the best.

I have always felt like FS has been way too dominated by a handful of countries (which is why I was never a fan of the team event to begin with.)

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
It really is a travesty. Sui/Han were perfection and M/G shaky at best, and yet the scores are that close... Shenanigans are going to go down in the individual event.
I am 100% on team Sui/Han for the gold. I prefer their programs, their overall performance and just sentiment considering their history and the fact that this is a home games for them.

M/G were rock solid though. I felt no doubt watching their technical elements and flow.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Wow that was very impressive and confident by Sui & Han. I will be rewatching this one. Please Sui plaster that one hair strand down better for the next round though.
I miss that wedge cut she had. It added to her fierceness When she gives that sexy glare.

Reactions: CCC

Cilla70

On the Ice
When you watch S/H and M/G back to back, it’s so obvious how juniorish M/G still look in comparison (And I like them a lot). Interested to see which way the judges go here.
Well said. I was trying to think of an explanation of their differences.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I saw on YouTube today that he is not in China yet.
That is crazy to me. I realize Japan isn't far away, but I would think you would want even a small amount of jet lag to occur far away from the event.

Everyone seems to be skating well though so maybe it won't be an issue. This could be one of the Olympics with the cleanest skating ever at this rate (I realize it is very early).

Cilla70

On the Ice
He doesn't risk any chance to skate a watered down LP in the Team Event. It's literally just the best practice session possible for him before the individual event. He needs to do his job, is he an Olympian or not.
Don’t forgetNathan has been dealing with a hip injury.

yctomi

Rinkside
I think Canada is already gone at this point unless Gubanova bombed in her skate.
USA ROC JPN will be through safely so it comes down to Canada, Italy, Georgia and China
Current standing:
China 21
Italy 18
Canada 16
Georgia 15

The best result for Madeline would be to finish 5th behind RUS, JPN, USA and GEO ladies. That gives Canada 22 points in total.
Also pretty safe to say Gubanova will finish 4th hence Georgia will get 22 points as well.
Say Zhu Yi finishes last and China will also get 22 points and this will come down to the tiebreak rules.

The tiebreak rules is:

The highest total team points from the two best places will break the ties. If they remain tied, the highest total segment scores of the current segment of the two best places according to the team points will break the tie.

For china their two best events are pairs and dance: 10 + 6 = 16
Georgia's two best events are men and ladies: 7 + 7 = 14
Canada's two best events are dance and pairs/ladies: 7 + 6 = 13

So China finishes 4th, Georgia 5th and Canada 6th, unless Gubanova bombed and placed lower than Madeline.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
cleanest skating? have you watched the first flight of men? it was a disaster
I think Canada is already gone at this point unless Gubanova bombed in her skate.
USA ROC JPN will be through safely so it comes down to Canada, Italy, Georgia and China
Current standing:
China 21
Italy 18
Canada 16
Georgia 15

The best result for Madeline would be to finish 5th behind RUS, JPN, USA and GEO ladies. That gives Canada 22 points in total.
Also pretty safe to say Gubanova will finish 4th hence Georgia will get 22 points as well.
Say Zhu Yi finishes last and China will also get 22 points and this will come down to the tiebreak rules.

The tiebreak rules is:

The highest total team points from the two best places will break the ties: If they remain tied, the highest total segment scores of the current segment of the two best places according to the team points will break the tie.

For china their two best events are pairs and dance: 82.83 + 74.66 = 157.49
Georgia's two best events are men and ladies: 92.37 + 68 (roughly) = 160.37
Canada's two best events are dance and pairs/ladies, but MTM scored 67.34 and safe to say Madeline won't score over that: 82.72 + 67.34 = 150.06.

So Georgia finishes 4th, China 5th and Canada 6th, unless Gubanova bombed and placed lower than Madeline.
just checking, best two events : wouldn't that be 10 points -9 points etc? It makes no sense to me at least to use actual event points as men score higher than pairs etc