2017 GP Skate America Ladies SP | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Ladies SP

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Really happy for Satoko :) The little nuances, like that choreo during the step sequence and the ending pose after her magnificent spin combo is so sophisticated. Her not getting a > or even >> call on the loop does make me wonder if there is any politiking going on like one poster suggested earlier...

Didn’t know anything about Bradie or Serafima. How exciting to see newcomers do so well! Shame about Karen. I loved that program from
Nationals last season. Polina is too talented to be doing that Med-like pantomime choreo.

Without notes, what I remember from the ladies event (and I missed a few)

Chinese girl: her effort is to be admired. I hope she feels encouraged to keep at it.
Polina: such talent, so young. I don't blame the mould, she's just beginning, what's a coach to do? The girl has so much to offer, such a unique presence.
Nicole: Isn't it wonderful to see someone skate well for their ability ? Not all are 'the chosen one', god bless all whom skate because they love it.
Speaking of which: Leonova. I enjoyed her skate so much. She loved being on the ice! The sport is not for the select few, it is for all of us. I'm so happy for her.
Sakamoto: well trained, great skating skills, undeveloped aesthetic but of course she is so young, it will be a pleasure to watch her over time, adorable in kiss and cry. I love the Japanese coaches, always so much grace and honour.
Serafima: delightful skate, good for her! I loved how Plushy made it about her not him, so refreshing compared to the 'I'm the star' coaches. One of the most charming Kiss and Cries ever.
Wagner: her performance skills are fantastic. Just wish she didn't feel the need to lower herself to shallow music video diva.
Daleman: watching her 3toe 3 toe is an outstanding moment in figure skating. Too bad about the lutz. Big progress all around since COC. She's so gorgeous, I know the time will come when she performs, it will be a treat to watch.
Satoko: I couldn't believe my eyes. Her quality was extraordinary, her interpretation so pure, I felt the sweetness, repression, survival and courage of a geisha.
A really fun event to watch.

MIM

Medalist
I watched on the Olympic channel.

Johnny commented real-time that Ashely's 3t undoubtedly underrotated, two-footed and a 3R requires to be reviewed by the tech panels. Watching the replay, he commented her landing is loosygoosy and a lot more under rotated than in her practice.

Johnny commented real-time that Satoko’s combo has a step-out but was cleanly rotated, and a 3R is tight and requires the review. Watching the replay, he had no comments and Tara said “she is forcing to make this jump happen”

I don’t believe 100% of what they say. But, I tend to agree and follow their assessment if they are commenting on technical elements real time.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I really liked Serafima's skate today! Rippon lutz was great.

Scores are kinda close, so it'll be interesting to see who actually podiums tomorrow.

frida80

Record Breaker
I never said her programs were phenomenal, just that she had a well known choreographer. And Shae isn't the answer for everyone. OTOH Misha Ge did a great exhibition program for her last spring.

I don’t think that Shae is the answer for everyone. But she would be a good fit for Karen’s personality.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Interesting how many people are throwing Karen's coach under the bus. None of us know their situation- anything we know is purely speculation. Unless Karen or one of her team outright say something it's meaningless. As I said earlier, I met Tammy Gambill over the summer (my club hosted a seminar and invited her). I got to watch her work with some of the skaters and she was amazing- super knowledgeable and friendly, but also firm about technique, etc.

I'm not saying anything about the decisions made- whether they be good or bad. But most of us are not elite skaters or coaches (shout out to those who are). Tammy Gambill is not a bad coach and you can't make a 17 year old do something they don't want to do.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Just starting to catch up with the ladies, but seeing Plushenko with Serafima in the K&C has already made my day :love:

Tammy G's first comment to Karen was "Are you ok?" That told me a lot about who she is or may be, but in the end we really know little about coach and skater. We never know for sure who makes what decision. How much say does Tammy G have with Karen? Some skaters do what the coaches say, some listen little. In the men's event comments from some viciously attacked Rafael and blamed him for Adam's shoulder then pretended insider knowledge of his character. It's so clear that we know very little about the inner workings of coaches and skaters. Why are so many here both judge and jury with so little true knowledge?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Serafima, Satoko and Kaori made my day!
Bradie was also a breath of fresh air.
So happy for for these ladies. Each making a comeback of their own. :love::points:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I also just woke up (in London) and watched everyone in skating order.

So nice to see Sima happy! it was very touching.
Her 3Lz has improved so much, but still deserved at least a !

Satoko's skating is as gorgeous as ever and this program is a winner. Her prerotation is also as egregious as ever and those landings were short too... no < on her loop really?

Globetrotter

Medalist
Judges must have been on drugs, and with blurry vision. I thought it was home cooking with Ashley, but Satoko score was also bloated. Over 70???:devil:

The issue is more the distribution for TES and PCS. Ashley didn’t have her usual energy and verve, she appeared tighter. Her UR on the combo and the 3R were obvious in real time. Her scores I think were fair. For Satoko, I think she should have her 3T on the combo slapped with a <. Her 3R and 2A could be given the benefit of the doubt and they barely got any GOE. However, her PCS were lowballed (specifically, SS, IN and CO) and so was Kaori Sakamoto (primarily SS and TR, certainly should be higher than Ashley). Overall, Satoko’s scores balance out and her bulk of the TES came from her high GOEs on the non jumps. If the low balled PCS were uppedwithher combo hit with <, it roughly balances out. However, Kaori should get higher SS and TR but low PE (not as good in projection to audience). Overall, Kaori with PCS about 33.50 will have the edge over Satoko.

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
The issue is more the distribution for TES and PCS. Ashley didn’t have her usual energy and verve, she appeared tighter. Her UR on the combo and the 3R were obvious in real time. Her scores I think were fair. For Satoko, I think she should have her 3T on the combo slapped with a <. Her 3R and 2A could be given the benefit of the doubt and they barely got any GOE. However, her PCS were lowballed (specifically, SS, IN and CO) and so was Kaori Sakamoto (primarily SS and TR, certainly should be higher than Ashley). Overall, Satoko’s scores balance out and her bulk of the TES came from her high GOEs on the non jumps. If the low balled PCS were uppedwithher combo hit with <, it roughly balances out. However, Kaori should get higher SS and TR but low PE (not as good in projection to audience). Overall, Kaori with PCS about 33.50 will have the edge over Satoko.

Yessss. It drives me nuts when people (even judges!) treat PCS as if it's simply star quality (which Ashley has in droves and Satoko does not, but the latter more than makes up for it with the other 4 components that make up PCS), or talk about TES without looking at protocols (URs, levels, etc.).