2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Short Program

Kings

Rinkside
Keegan reminds me of those "Cats are liquids not solids" meme with the way his body contorts and flops around, idk how else to describe it

He definitely has a feline quality to his skating, with his speed and fluidity.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
OMG Rod, shut up about Keegan being technically Alaskan. We don't care! We love Keegan! We'll take him! Alaska is just Canada A Bit To The Left anyway!

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
The Canadian hype train is going to crush Gogolev before he’s eligible for seniors at this point, similar to what the US is doing to Alysa Liu.

rain

Record Breaker
I have to look at the protocols, but I disagree with that decision from the judges. Gogolev clearly beat everyone on the jumps today, but Keegan was so, so far ahead of him in PCS, spins and footwork it's not even funny. Heck, Gogolev practically fell out of one of his spins! Anyway, the LP should be interesting. Nobody has a huge lead.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Well, I guess Keegan's going to go for the 4Lz tomorrow. Hell, Keegan, go for the 4A while you're at it. Rod's enthusiasm aside, I do think Keegan's the favorite, and will probably take the title as long as he's cleaner than Gogolev.

rain

Record Breaker
The Canadian hype train is going to crush Gogolev before he’s eligible for seniors at this point, similar to what the US is doing to Alysa Liu.

That's my fear. That's why I think the judges are actually doing him a disservice by not realistically evaluating his skills other than jumping relative to the rest of the field. I mean, sure, Nam's never had the greatest skating skills or spins, but he has really improved in that department and he's always been a great performer. And Keegan is on another level entirely than Gogolev (understandably, he's 14) is right now. I'm always nervous when they push the skaters too hard, too fast.

StephenGfan

Final Flight

He handles the pressure pretty well.(I do wish the hype would die down a little though until he becomes a senior)

Ziotic

Medalist
I feel like Tracy is chill about the GoGo thing and Rod is just running in circles and screaming.

Kings

Rinkside
Well, I guess Keegan's going to go for the 4Lz tomorrow. Hell, Keegan, go for the 4A while you're at it. Rod's enthusiasm aside, I do think Keegan's the favorite, and will probably take the title as long as he's cleaner than Gogolev.

The older guys are going to have an advantage on the FS due to stamina. Stephen might pull it off but I think his FS is weaker on PCS.

Rod mostly sounds excited because Stephen winning would be a good media story and figure skating needs all the press it can get.

rain

Record Breaker
Wow, Nam!! Putting on the pressure for the title. He’s an engaging performer.

I know we’re in Canada, but all these nice guy programs are starting to blend together :laugh:

They've all chosen similar music, it's kind of hilarious.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Looking at the PCS distribution, I would say Joseph Phan wuzrobbed the most. But he skated earlier, and fell, so I get it. I also think they got excited and scored Gogolev way too high, not expecting that Keegan/Roman/Nic would falter. Typical stuff.

Kings

Rinkside
He handles the pressure pretty well.(I do wish the hype would die down a little though until he becomes a senior)

Honestly one of the best things about Stephen training at TCC imo is being surrounded by people who have been thrown under the hype bus themselves, so they can help him handle that pressure.

malya

On the Ice
Keegan saved his SP well! If I have to be honest I kind of like seeing him fall because he always gets back on his feet so fast. Judges sometimes don't give -5 GOE for 'beautiful falls' so he shouldn't get - 5 then either :D

The scores though... Irks. I guess we can see who the canadian fed doesn't believe in.

#NamWasGreat