2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Short Program

lady_bee

Medalist
Keegan reminds me of those "Cats are liquids not solids" meme with the way his body contorts and his legs flop around, idk how else to describe it

I describe it as Oda-esque, because the way he moves, the happy atmosphere he conveys, etc, always remind me Nobunari Oda:biggrin:.

sowcow

On the Ice

Thanks Metis - that's exactly what I was looking for!

However, I'm not sure it's so clear cut in this particular case!? As per the rules, under the "Attempted Jump" section:

"...a skater steps onto the forward take off edge of an Axel and pulls back the free leg and arms, starts the forward movement to jump into the air with the free leg and arms passing through forward but at the last moment does not leave the ice, etc."

As I saw it...

It wasn't a 'waxel' though. Waxel's at least leave the ice. Nic slipped before his free-leg/foot even made it to his skating leg/foot.

In other words, I believe Nic actually slipped BEFORE his free leg (and arms) passed through forward. It was a really odd loss of balance; and not a typical 'aborted' axel (which is what the rules are describing above). I'd need to look at the video; but this might have been that one-in-a-million case where he could have re-attempted the axel (...only because of the detailed description laid out in the rules!)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
OMG Rod, shut up about Keegan being technically Alaskan. We don't care! We love Keegan! We'll take him! Alaska is just Canada A Bit To The Left anyway!

The US federation made it too tough for him to compete, which is unfortunate. He does bring out the best from both nations in his sportsmanship.

Go Keegan!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Scores debate aside, I think we should be happy that we have a competition for the gold tomorrow.

sowcow

On the Ice
Thanks Metis - that's exactly what I was looking for!

However, I'm not sure it's so clear cut in this particular case!? As per the rules, under the "Attempted Jump" section:
"...a skater steps onto the forward take off edge of an Axel and pulls back the free leg and arms, starts the forward movement to jump into the air with the free leg and arms passing through forward but at the last moment does not leave the ice, etc."

As I saw it...

It wasn't a 'waxel' though. Waxel's at least leave the ice. Nic slipped before his free-leg/foot even made it to his skating leg/foot.

In other words, I believe Nic actually slipped BEFORE his free leg (and arms) passed through forward. It was a really odd loss of balance; and not a typical 'aborted' axel (which is what the rules are describing above). I'd need to look at the video; but this might have been that one-in-a-million case where he could have re-attempted the axel (...only because of the detailed description laid out in the rules!)

Never mind ... Nic did leave the ice on the 3-axel attempt: https://youtu.be/YivUg4JGELo?t=39

(although, it's debatable if his free-leg "passed through forward" or if it actually just swung "super-wide"...)

Last edited:

LuvIce

Rinkside
Bravo to Gogolev and his coach Lee Barkell, what a pleasure to watch a phenom and feel the anticipation of his future. I love their professionalism in the kiss and cry.
Nam has such charisma! I rarely feel that the performer is in my living room with me, Nam reached across the void into my heart. Such progress in his blade work and interpretation under Robert Burke and Tracey Robertson Hanford.
I can’t help but enjoy Keegan’s personality and unique character, his story.
Such diversity among them all, what a fun event and my sincere respect to them all.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn’t get to watch any of the events in real time, Yuzudaughter also has a competition today and tomorrow. Oh wow, GoGoGadget For Gold?! :eeking:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Canadian hype train is going to crush Gogolev before he’s eligible for seniors at this point, similar to what the US is doing to Alysa Liu.

You in the back, pipe down over there! :laugh: We don’t need another Nam circa post 2014 situation.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I loved both Nam and Stephan. Stephan deserves to lead. He made no mistake and his music interpretation is quite good, anyway much better than most 14 years old boys. He does not seem to lough during his programs, like Nam who really connects with the public and apparently did when he was at a similar age. I find Stephan a bit shy, which is really normal for his age. Of course they have different personalities.
I was so sorry for Roman and Nicolas. Roman started so well and then boom. Had he done a 3T would have been much better, but popping is so bad. Same for Nicolas, but it is true both attacked the jumps in a wrong way.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
IIRC, Rod bestowed to Stephen the dreaded "Next One" title, right? I sincerely hope that it doesn't become a curse! :pray:

I feel like Roman could win if he could do nothing but Salchows. Remember the 4S-1Eu-3S?

I remember someone joked during one of his fall competitions (SCI?) that his nickname should be "Roman 'I only land quad Salchows' Sadovsky." :laugh: The 4S-1Eu-3S sequence was his sole clean jumping pass in his LP at the Inge Solar Memorial.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like Tracy is chill about the GoGo thing and Rod is just running in circles and screaming.

Tracy knows what's up. She's putting the damper on any expectation that the kid could, or should, win.

Skate Canada is not going to send non-titlists to Worlds to try to get spots - while the Canadian champion is a non-eligible 14 year old boy.

I mean, come on. They almost pulled a muscle hoisting those bad performances up to be within striking distance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to admit even with the errors and bobbles I was most impressed with Keegan and Nam - really improved - he is kind of what Caroline Zhang should have done = improve p ower and speed immensely at least in short. His Skating skills should be considerably higher. i would have because of pcs both Keegan and Nam ahead of Stephen.

Sorry about Roman and Nic - I really felt for Nic. After seeing the short I am hoping Keegan who is such a good sport and Nam go to worlds despite Nam's falteringin the past maybe his family idea of making him pay for his skating is a good thing. But Nam needs anew costume or at leastnot wear a navy cardigan with black pants. Irather see him in a white shirt and grey or black vest. I have the same items in my wardrobe but I would never wear navy with black. Such a faux pas lol. The top three are clearly ahead of the rest. I have to say pc wise Nam and keegan really are shining. Even with lack of quads both boys deserve to be in contention for top ten at worlds. No comment on Stephen since he will go to juniors. Kind of miss Brian and Tracy in the kiss and cry with Stephen but that's life.

binky

Rinkside
keegan was wonderful! theres still more to the short program than three jumps. I would put him way in front on his fast perfect spins and grace with every movement. he totally won me over!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
great competition, fun to watch, entertaining and without splatfest (also canadian boys are handsome :biggrin:)

here some silly comments

Joseph Phan: :eeking: he owes me a couple of year of life with that toe right on the boards! he gave me an heart attack!

Matthew Markell: beautiful lines and style, shame on tha falls. He really impressed me, I hope to see him again in the future

Alexander Lawrence: little messing fan here did a very good job. Very enjoyable

Conrad Orzel: is that a wardrobe malfunction or his actual costume? Anyway good job overall

Stephen Gogolev: the best of the night by far (technically speaking)! I watched his performance twice. Great and well deserved 1st place (is he taller?).

Keegan Messing: no one can deny he’s got the most beautiful fall in the business :laugh: (I didn’t know he’s a native!)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
great competition, fun to watch, entertaining and without splatfest (also canadian boys are handsome :biggrin:)

here some silly comments

Joseph Phan: :eeking: he owes me a couple of year of life with that toe right on the boards! he gave me an heart attack!

Matthew Markell: beautiful lines and style, shame on tha falls. He really impressed me, I hope to see him again in the future

Alexander Lawrence: little messing fan here did a very good job. Very enjoyable

Conrad Orzel: is that a wardrobe malfunction or his actual costume? Anyway good job overall

Stephen Gogolev: the best of the night by far (technically speaking)! I watched his performance twice. Great and well deserved 1st place (is he taller?).

Keegan Messing: no one can deny he’s got the most beautiful fall in the business :laugh: (I didn’t know he’s a native!)

That's his actual costume. I didn't think it was when I saw him wear it at his summer comps, but no new costume appeared. The FS costume actually looks like a costume at least.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
well...what can i say? it's a choice:laugh: better than a pajama for sure (à la nathan chen)