2021 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs Short Program

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes literally. Carrying trash from kitchen. Broke nothing but majorly tore skin off my shin to where well, it looks gross and will take time to heal.
Ouch I am sorry. I tripped in my kitchen 3 weeks ago and bruised ribs. Who knew watching skating can be so dangerous.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
easy to forget that Worlds 2021 could've looked very different - P/K beat M/G at nationals but weren't put on the world team
M/G have always had problems competing in RN. Three years in a row in fact. But Russia's bet paid off big time, I think P/K would have a hard time to factor into the podium.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Whoa, the judges had the guts to put them in 2nd. I was expecting them to score around 75. :eek:
Dare we hope that some judging excesses will now be dialed back a bit, in light of all the commentary about the meteoric rise of Davis/Smolkin? One can hope.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I found P/K sensational! What a team! Deservedly in the lead. This programme is just made for them. 👍 👍 👍 RusNats will be once again nothing for nervous people.
However, I can well imagine M/G upping the ante tomorrow.
Very pleased with Lu/Mitrofanov and Ch/M. I love the Hungarian’s programme. They’re having a strong season and I love the way Mark is besotted with his little boy.
I’m kind of sad that this was probably the last time I’ve seen them perform. People love them around here, and what’s not to love about them? :love2:

Edit:
I told you that being at a live event and chatting is not for me. My WiFi connection cut out and I lost a sentence. 😂
I meant the last time I see Della Monica/ Guarise perform. They know they’re loved in Russia.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
Even with the error M/G still receiving enormous pcs. I dont know what judges are seeing. They're acting like they are the pairs Virtue/Moir. But all these funny face making from the girl and juniorish choreo arent even mid tier pairs level. Well its a good thing the olympics arent in Sochi next year or else anyone who doesnt have a Russian flag on their jacket wont stand a chance. Maybe they'll let the men gold slip. Actually hang on, no one is going to have the Russian flag next year, because they're banned. Oops.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Even with the error M/G still receiving enormous pcs. I dont know what judges are seeing. They're acting like they are the pairs Virtue/Moir. But all these funny face making from the girl and juniorish choreo arent even mid tier pairs level. Well its a good thing the olympics arent in Sochi next year or else anyone who doesnt have a Russian flag on their jacket wont stand a chance. Maybe they'll let the men gold slip. Actually hang on, no one is going to have the Russian flag next year, because they're banned. Oops.
If T/M skate well, they'll place over M/G. S/H will place over both. I don't see the problem.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
M/G have always had problems competing in RN. Three years in a row in fact. But Russia's bet paid off big time, I think P/K would have a hard time to factor into the podium.
I don't think that P/K would've won worlds, I'm just saying that the entire worlds result would've been different. But it does suck for P/K that they have consistently beat M/G at nationals and not been chosen.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't think that P/K would've won worlds, I'm just saying that the entire worlds result would've been different. But it does suck for P/K that they have consistently beat M/G at nationals and not been chosen.
They haven't been chosen just once, this past season. The other seasons M/G were not factors yet in seniors, and neither were P/K prior to the 2018/19 season.

They were selected for Worlds last year, but it was canceled. They had a bit of bad luck, but also, they knew going into the Russian Cup final this season that it was their chance to go to Worlds, and they folded.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
They haven't been chosen just once, this past season. The other seasons M/G were not factors yet in seniors, and neither were P/K prior to the 2018/19 season.

They were selected for Worlds last year, but it was canceled. They had a bit of bad luck, but also, they knew going into the Russian Cup final this season that it was their chance to go to Worlds, and they folded.
P/K tended to leave their best skates at Nationals in direct opposition to M/G.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
P/K tended to leave their best skates at Nationals in direct opposition to M/G.
And we do have to agree that Nationals, in Russia, is a competition of higher caliber than pretty much all the others. I think we only see Worlds being more competitive, and not in every season.

gold12345

Medalist
I think the problem with scoring sbs jumps separately is that if one partner was a much stronger jumper, I think some teams would just plan content that only one could do. Like intentional one does 3T-2T (or 2T-2T) and one does 3T-3T, for the points. And that wouldn't be very pairs focused.

Great point. Sometimes if I see one partner land a perfect 3-2 combo and the other partner, say, crash a double (which means they only get credit for a double, a fall, and no combo), I'm like, shouldn't they at least get points for half the pair doing the combo well. But you raise an excellent point as to why it's better the way it is.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I think one of them was injured and that's why the twist is even worse than normal. But that was Michael iirc. Not sure about Kirsten
Did Mark Hanretty say that her skates got lost in transit, and didn't arrive at the airport?

LadyB

Record Breaker
On another note:
While the Women were going on, the 1TV bloke who always interviews the skaters, Trankov and Galliamov were filmed for a recap discussion. Trankov and Galliamov were supposed to wear Russian team gear, but since Sasha was already in his civvies, Trankov just asked one of the telly crew to lend him his training top. The scenario was funny to watch.

gold12345

Medalist
It was nice to see more sensible Russian pairs judging this week, in Russia no less. I'm still bothered by the scoring of Artemeva/Nazaychev last week in France. Mishina/Galliamov's score wouldn't have been quite that high for what they did today if it weren't for their past history, but at least they have a past history. No idea why Artemeva/Nazarychev's GOE was being scored the way it was, but I digress.

Mishina/Galliamov's twist was fantastic today and had great height- definitely higher than many of their twists in the past. I was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes their twist is scored too high when they do everything else great, but they really earned their twist score today. They had an off day otherwise, and were even tripping a bit in random places. It's not their best lift- I know pairs are constrained by the required lift they have to do- but she barely gets into the second position before the lift is already coming down. I have mixed feelings about some of the choreo- all the fanning of herself and quirky "O" faces she makes throughout the program. But I generally really like the program.

Pavliuchenko/Khodykin skated well and the transitions are interesting, even if not always the most polished, like the little back flip before the throw, which isn't that smooth. Their twist is nice and pretty high, but to me you should have to land the twist on the ice instead of being allowed to cartwheel out of it. She also needs to lock out her leg on her first lift position instead of keeping it bent in anticipation of the second lift position. Things like this are why I think they scored 73 for a clean program. But overall they skated well and deserve to have a lead, even if they're basically tied with M/G.

Kadyrova/Balchenko have some good elements, just the throw is very low and skims the ice. Not to keep bringing up Artemeva/Nazarychev from last week, but K/B's score here around 69 is more along the lines of what I thought A/N deserved to score last week, instead of being scored like P/K around 73 points.

Lu/Mitrofanov had a solid short like they often do, but there are shortcomings with all the pair elements and their scoring potential has remained on the low side. You didn't need that good of a score to place well today though. Have Moore-Towers/Marinaro been injured? Or Della Monica/Guarise? I know both teams have dealt with serious injuries, but I don't know how recently. These are good quality teams that couldn't even crack 60 today, which doesn't normally take that much (ie. they should be able to score that with a big error). Neither team is really close to the best they've been. Better luck in the FS because I don't like seeing strong teams struggle to this extent.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've just been watching the Pairs SP part of the competition, haven't read all the comments yet in this thread but here's my response.

It doesn't happen often in an SP that I'm actually more impressed by the first warm-up group than by the second. This time I was.

It started off with Iasmina and Ivan. Sure, a little bit juniorish (not much sophistication, especially not for a Bolero), but well done! I liked them a lot.

Audrey and Misha also skated well (and also slightly juniorish) with some nice jumps and stuff. I would have scored them a little higher as they improved since their last outing.

I was blown away by Ioulia and Mark. Sure, I know they have shortcomings but Ioulia's smile is totally to die for, which makes it so wonderful to watch them. And so improved since the last time I saw them. Yay!

Daria and Denis were fantastic. Their skating skills aren't as good as some of the other pairs (in my view), but who wouldn't be impressed by fierce little Daria doing her thing, and Deniss showing off her tricks. I was impressed last time I saw them (where they made mistakes), but today even more so.

And then the second group.

I felt sorry for Miriam and Severin who've had a lot of setbacks this season due to Severin's injury (it's the first time we've seen them at all). I always enjoy watching them, and I did now, but I have to agree with the judges regarding there score.

The same thing with Nicole and Matteo (but without the injury bit). They are always great to watch, and they were now. But definitely not at their best.

Poor Kirsten and Michael. They can do so much better. It did fall apart somewhat. Perhaps their problems with the luggage played a part?

Anastasia and Alexandr weren't at their best either. Still good (they're never bad), but the joyfulness felt extremely faked, and yes there was a mistake too.

I enjoyed the watch, but a bit anti-climatic with having most of the best skates first. Let's hope there will be some redemption tomorrow!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or the Eurythmics - some cracking songs for skating amongst their hits.

We've had plenty of "Sweet Dreams" programs and Annie's version of "I put a spell on you".... but they have a great catalogue. I would love to see someone skate to "Love is a Stranger."

As for the Police/Sting - we have them to blame for all the "Tango de Roxanne" programs, lol. If they hadn't written that song and they didn't cover it for MR...

Lots of 80s era bands they could mine for programs- Duran Duran (who have a new record out), Pet Shop Boys (there was an ice dance duo who used them once), and I'd love to hear the Cure. We had our one Depeche Mode program thanks to Shae-Lynn Bourne and Nic Nadeau.