2022 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program

noskates

Record Breaker
Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't even remember Wesley before this year so couldn't have told you what he skated to. I do know he didn't medal at Worlds last year, however, and therein lies the comparison. Music used for ice dancing and then for singles skating is like comparing apples and oranges. I think basically a lot of the music this year is horrible. And if I never see another tango again in any of the disciplines it will be too soon. We all have our favorites....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't even remember Wesley before this year so couldn't have told you what he skated to. I do know he didn't medal at Worlds last year, however, and therein lies the comparison. Music used for ice dancing and then for singles skating is like comparing apples and oranges. I think basically a lot of the music this year is horrible. And if I never see another tango again in any of the disciplines it will be too soon. We all have our favorites....
So it's fair, because though I have seen Vincent compete all year long, and remember he was using Starry Starry Night, I have no recollection of any of the choreography he did... Lori Nichol, typical program. I think we have to be careful as fans when we start being so picky about what should and shouldn't be done... and I say this as a musician myself but sport comes first, music is, like costumes, part of the entertainment factor. And rightly so, since there are so many "strange" even "bad" choices this year. When most of us fans heard Piper and Paul's performance to Govardo's music, most of us fans thought it was such a nice piece of music... Well, let's be true here, a piece of music is good on its own or bad on its own... and this one is not bad... We should thank Wesley for keeping his SP and saving us from another Moulin Rouge... like his training mate Liam chose... and still, Liam's Moulin Rouge is not using the typical songs everyone does use.

How many skaters have used Vincent? Comparing to the many OLD warhorse pieces used for decades... I would vote for giving this piece a break... it's a nice song.. the arrangement works well for skating... it hasn't been really fully masterfully used by single skaters...

Looking at your avatar, I am ready for a Casablanca program ;) I wonder who would dare. I mean, Kurt skated to it for more than one season too :) https://youtu.be/uPYI8l8Fgk8

Let's call Keegan Murphy and see if Liam or Wesley are up to the task ;)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here I am late to the party that is men's skating.

Hey was that little girl eating a croissant? Now I want one.

Ooo two Frenchmen to start us off!

And hey Nika E from Georgia, NGL I was sure that France was gonna let him in he trains in Russia doesn't he? But not only is he here apparently Sergei D is too!

Ahmahgod Sihyeong's little bowtie and tuxedo! So cute! 🥰

Great to see Ivan S! Hope he has a great SP, though the cloud shirt continues to be missed.

OK here we go with a unknown guy to me...

Um yikes is he skating to a ventilator? I've only listened to one Massive Attack song in my life, fortunately it was not this one.

Landry gets some epic height on his jumps though!

Gasp! A +POMBO! Most unfortunate...

If it wasn't for the ventilator effect I'd rather enjoy this, but yeah a is it's kinda creeping me out.

But going for the 4Lz, brave!

Ooo one of Luc's coaches is Florent A...I like that ;)

Yay combo!

Look at him go!! And hey he's got gold blades!

Oops a swear... still not the worse one I've heard this season!

But yeah that was fab! Florent taught him well.

I was about to say Flo seemed super laid back as a coach in the replays but then he went off.

Also there was an n-word dropped too? Missed that. Apparently the judges did too because no deduction!

(Reminder: Florent once got a deduction for skating to lyrics, not because of anything offensive, but because lyrics weren't allowed!)

Sihyeong! Lemme just say I'm feeling good about the bowtie, but ouch that 4S landing.

Also Sihyeong's legs are so long! He must get his pants specially made...

Wait Korean men only have one spot this World's?! I missed that whole thing!

Sota. Hmm don't much care for this cover of Yesterday but this is some quality skating. Look at the flow on that step sequence 🥰

Mark's info about Sota is very interesting! Poor guy imagine breaking your ankle just before World's! He must have been gutted and then all the injuries after! Glad he managed to get back. Aww and he has a pillow.

Wow! Big points! I wonder how long he'll keep the lead.

Nika, let's see what he's got.

Wow, nice quad there son!

This music is a bit dire though... Another quad though!

Oh dear...2A... I guess he can't complain though...

Still manages a score in the 80s, but then those were so epic quads.

OK, Ivan S!

Eek on the combo, but he's living the program here very poignant and even ending pose with the air raid siren really hits you.

Aw his brothers are still in Kyiv :( now I'm really sad.

He got a pyramid of bear stuffies at least and a seasons best.

That was an intense Group 1!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OK Group 2!

Aw Mark I miss Kevin A too, hope he can come back.

Here comes Sena and his crazy shirt. I've just realised though, this song is from Ghost right, I think that's what his shirt represents.

Oh nuts that 1A and the combo eek!

Wow low score that...

Alright let's go Mihhail!

Oh damn another axel pop! What is this tomfoolery? Did Ilia steal all the Axel energy for the 4A, it seems so...

Once again them quads though! Got him into 3rd so far!

Wesley! This program makes me miss Vincent Z though...

Bit rough on the 4T and combo, but yay he landed the 3A!

And my stream just died... rude!

Well I got it going again, and awww Welsey's face just before the last spin, lovely interpretation! But Mark, no call out to Vincent Z? I guess Piper and Paul are Canadian though...

He looks disappointed at the score, it does seem low, but what do I know :p

Lukas! I'm kinda loving the sleeveless shirt and fingerless gloves...but yes the close-ups of his super young face does kinda take away from the bad-a**ness of this program.

Ouch!

Gasp! Mark don't jinx it! Phew he didn't.

Now let us :rock: to this quality tune.

That was indeed cool! Shame about the fall and the combo went wonky, but still!

LOL what is his coach doing with that stuffie? :laugh2:

Oh look a season's best, good for him!

Kazuki! Aww look at his suspenders. Also 24? He looks 17 at the most, but whatever, show us some soft knees lad.

OMG, this is adorable! 🥰 He's just missing the jazz hands...

Ooo I do love it when they finish with a step sequence! I applaud from home at this!

And the Japanese flags wave. He goes into 2nd! Sota remains in 1st with only one skater left.

Adam, with huge audience support! Can he use it to his advantage?

:laugh: He's going Rain in Your Warhorse Eyes, ah well.

GASP the combo! Fights back on that 3A though! And the 4S

And now he's going off in the step sequence! Old Benoit has brought all his choreo skills out for this one.

Man, the cameraman started on the booze early today it seems...what was going on there?!

But lucky 88! And once again since I know the outcome I can't claim to be psychic in writing that :p

And now to the Pairs I go!