2022 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program

Warwick360

Medalist
how do you know the future of Roman?
Has Roman been performing like we've been hoping for? Don't get me wrong. I like him. He was my top 10 guy for the whole of last season. But I think I pretty much ran out of prayer beads trying to will him to perform like I thought he could.

No way or no where in my comment am I saying his opportunities are all wasted. All I'm saying is if he fails to turn up, like in the Olympics, Worlds and much of the last season, and before, at least someone will be able to step in and pick the chance. At least another Canadian might be able to step up and cut some pressure off for Roman along the way too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Has Roman been performing like we've been hoping for? Don't get me wrong. I like him. He was my top 10 guy for the whole of last season. But I think I pretty much ran out of prayer beads trying to will him to perform like I thought he could.

No way or no where in my comment am I saying his opportunities are all wasted. All I'm saying is if he fails to turn up, like in the Olympics, Worlds and much of the last season, and before, at least someone will be able to step in and pick the chance. At least another Canadian might be able to step up and cut some pressure off for Roman along the way too.
Roman placed 12th at worlds last year, pretty much even with Kévin who placed 11th... He was ahead of Deniss and Keegan...
Thanks for giving some nuance to your post, and I agree that Roman has had tough times. But I don't think it's fair to any skaters to talk about their future in a such a way... because otherwise, why would they keep training and trying to do better and better each time? We all need hope... especially these days.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I loved Adam's program. He seems SO much better than last year in terms of expression, I think.

Sure, p/c and s/h used this music and both were great (imho)... but other than those 2 teams I can't recall other programs to it... at least, those other programs werent memorable enough for me to think of it as a warehouse.... at least not in singles anyway... it hasnt reached true ware horse status like Phantom or Carmen!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Egadze pleasantly surprised me despite the horrific wailing for musical stuff. But so much better than last year when I saw him…

Warwick360

Medalist
Roman placed 12th at worlds last year, pretty much even with Kévin who placed 11th... He was ahead of Deniss and Keegan...
Thanks for given some nuance to your post, and I agree that Roman has had tough times. But I don't think it's fair to any skaters to talk about their future in a such a way... because otherwise, why would they keep training and trying to do better and better each time? We all need hope... especially these days.
No. I think you're taking it the wrong way. If Serena was not there, there would be Venus. Hoping for a single skater to prop up the future can potentially be a disaster, in my opinion. I personally don't think it's that deep to be searching for nuance here.

And like I said, it is not an admonishment of Sadovsky's achievement or skill. I'm just glad there might end up being more numbers in the selection pool. That's all.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No. I think you're taking it the wrong way. If Serena was not there, there would be Venus. Hoping for a single skater to prop up the future can potentially be a disaster, in my opinion. I personally don't think it's that deep to be searching for nuance here.

And like I said, it is not an admonishment of Sadovsky's achievement or skill. I'm just glad there might end up being more numbers in the selection pool. That's all.

Perhaps it is because Canada is undergoing a huge culture change in sports right now, but some comments like "when Roman fails to deliver in the future" rather dismissive and toxic and I wish WE (and I include myself) were more cautious about all the young athletes who already worked very hard for their achievements, though they may not realize fully their potential.

There are many young male skaters in Canada... whether Wesley becomes one day a stable champion is a possibility. Will that help Roman to share the pressure with him? He is already doing so as well as with many other young skaters... Nationals is not as tight as let's say, Japanese nationals, but Roman needs to skate well if he wants international assignments. Last year, Nam and Jo were direct competitors.
This year, Gogolev and Chiu will fight Keegan and Roman for those coveted spots... and a guy like Conrad could be a dark horse if he gets a good competition. My point is that in figure skating, we never know : ice is slippery.

I don't think you meant it in a bad way...but it did come across as harsh to me... We never know who is reading right?

Warwick360

Medalist
Perhaps it is because Canada is undergoing a huge culture change in sports right now, but some comments like "when Roman fails to deliver in the future" rather dismissive and toxic and I wish WE (and I include myself) were more cautious about all the young athletes who already worked very hard for their achievements, though they may not realize fully their potential.

There are many young male skaters in Canada... whether Wesley becomes one day a stable champion is a possibility. Will that help Roman to share the pressure with him? He is already doing so as well as with many other young skaters... Nationals is not as tight as let's say, Japanese nationals, but Roman needs to skate well if he wants international assignments. Last year, Nam and Jo were direct competitors.
This year, Gogolev and Chiu will fight Keegan and Roman for those coveted spots... and a guy like Conrad could be a dark horse if he gets a good competition. My point is that in figure skating, we never know : ice is slippery.

I don't think you meant it in a bad way...but it did come across as harsh to me... We never know who is reading right?
When and if are interchangeable. Am I saying he will have a bad day? No. Can he have a bad day, like any individual, be it Chen, Chan or Hanyu? Yes. I know we're in an age where any comment can seem like a barb. And I wish to make no assertion that making any slight is a part of my hobby. But acknowledging a possibility, is not an automatic gesture of wishing bad on the skater.

While much has been stated about how it's been implied, perhaps we could also consider how things are so easily inferred to the negative.

But regardless, with no ambiguity. No, I am not saying Sadovsky will fail. He is unpredictable, yes. But my main point was, I am glad there are other alternatives in the spot. As for the weak analogy part, when Serena failed early at Wimbledon, there was Venus, and vice versa. So, no. Taking that slam into account, it was anything but weak from the perspective of USTA.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When and if are interchangeable. Am I saying he will have a bad day? No. Can he have a bad day, like any individual, be it Chen, Chan or Hanyu? Yes. I know we're in an age where any comment can seem like a barb. And I wish to make no assertion that making any slight is a part of my hobby. But acknowledging a possibility, is not an automatic gesture of wishing bad on the skater.

While much has been stated about how it's been implied, perhaps we could also consider how things are so easily inferred to the negative.

But regardless, with no ambiguity. No, I am not saying Sadovsky will fail. He is unpredictable, yes. But my main point was, I am glad there are other alternatives in the spot. As for the weak analogy part, when Serena failed early at Wimbledon, there was Venus, and vice versa. So, no. Taking that slam into account, it was anything but weak from the perspective of USTA.
Let's just be clear then. There was, are and will always be other possibilities in Canadian skating. Wesley is young but was already showing promise last year... and there are others... Men skating in Canada is not at its peak but is not flailing either. Give the athletes a chance, that's all I am saying... Moving on.

noskates

Record Breaker
I thoroughly enjoyed Kazuki. Of all the men today he was the most interesting and made me glad I was watching. So much personality. I also really enjoyed Adam's choreography. And he has improved since last year. As for Wesley, I kind of wish he'd picked out different music instead of Vincent Zhou's music from last year. Too soon and just drew too much comparison in my mind. Not sure that was the wisest decision. But - I had to admit - I missed seeing Kevin Aymoz. I hope his injury heals and he's able to compete this year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I thoroughly enjoyed Kazuki. Of all the men today he was the most interesting and made me glad I was watching. So much personality. I also really enjoyed Adam's choreography. And he has improved since last year. As for Wesley, I kind of wish he'd picked out different music instead of Vincent Zhou's music from last year. Too soon and just drew too much comparison in my mind. Not sure that was the wisest decision. But - I had to admit - I missed seeing Kevin Aymoz. I hope his injury heals and he's able to compete this year.
Wesley had Vincent already last year.... and if we play this game, Zhou should not have done it either, so soon after Piper and Paul....

I tend to believe that music does not belong to skaters, even iconic pieces... I will take Starry Starry Night over some of the very awful pieces we hear at times

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wesley had Vincent already last year.... and if we play this game, Zhou should not have done it either, so soon after Piper and Paul....

I tend to believe that music does not belong to skaters, even iconic pieces... I will take Starry Starry Night over some of the very awful pieces we hear at times

But I do play that game. ;)

A skater takes a big chance using music that was used to great effect the previous year. Not because any skater owns music. But because they are going to invite comparison, that's human nature. And I did think of Piper and Paul when I watched Vincent Zhou.

If any man to skate to Sinnerman, for example, they are going to invite comparison. They have every right to select it. But they should account for human nature. That doesn't have to do with "owning" music, but being realistic. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

A skater takes a big chance using music that was used to great effect the previous year. Not because any skater owns music. But because they are going to invite comparison, that's human nature. And I did think of Piper and Paul when I watched Vincent Zhou.

If any man to skate to Sinnerman, for example, they are going to invite comparison. They have every right to select it. But they should account for human nature. That doesn't have to do with "owning" music, but being realistic. :)
I do not even recall Vincent's particular choreo on that piece.... but my main point is that Wesley was already skating to it last year... nothing to do with Zhou.... but I would suspect he loved Piper and Paul's performance... i dont think single skaters are expected to reproduce what ice dancers can achieve... i mean, as great as brown's riverdance was, to me, it did not match Bourne and Kraatz's and, honestly, it is a different discipline... how could it? Wesley does a good job for a young skater... Fans can have their expectations but the reality is that judges most likely will just give marks on what is done on the ice and not worry about how Zhou or anyone else skated to that piece....

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Had an appt with a useless neuroloigst but stalled at home enough to see most of Sota's skate. So happy for him. I hope he keeps it together in the LP and at least medals.

Thank you. Also for being the only one in this thread to mention or congratulate the SP winner when the scores were announced.
I do hope he gets a medal in the end, and this 'out of sight, out of mind' stage passes for FS fans when it comes to him. Fingers crossed.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
They really hold the gate wide, wide opened for Fa… and he was like, nah. 🤣🤣🤣

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you. Also for being the only one in this thread to mention or congratulate the SP winner when the scores were announced.
I do hope he gets a medal in the end, and this 'out of sight, out of mind' stage passes for FS fans when it comes to him. Fingers crossed.
Sure I'm a big fan of Sota. He may not be as flashy as his younger peers but he has an elegant sensual style that cries out to be appreciated!!! I'm hoping he wins but I don't want to jinx him too much.

skaket023

Rinkside

Agree! Since Roman was being discussed, I can say Camden using Fly Me to the Moon for his short was a bummer for me. I just LOVED Roman's short to it.

Rain in My Black Eyes is the new Moulin Rouge? Please say no!

Roman and Kazuki are heartbreakers, but heartbreakers are remembered for their fleeting moments of greatness. Paul Wylie, and even Stephane Lambiel were heartbreakers in my opinion. They did alright.

How do you teach young people to seize the day? I hope Kazuki figures it out. If anyone watches the juniors, it's not something Robert Yampolsky has a problem with! His face before his free skate was, "I'm doing this!" Can you teach that?