2022 MK John Wilson Trophy Women's Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2022 MK John Wilson Trophy Women's Short Program

snd

On the Ice
as a korean, young you can't afford mistakes... and that 3-2 cost her a lot

i also wonder about the lvl3 spins. i often complain about korean girls getting robbed but she really wasn't on today. let's see how she skates - and how she's scored - tomorrow

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I feel like Korean skaters have been judged very harshly lately… not sure what’s been going on
They started to judge Junghwan Cha higher, and the women lower since 2018 when I started watching. From what I can tell, Koreans tend to UR but land vs fall, so it creates a discrepancy between visual perception of the skate and the score. I dunno, I always hope You wins, and she never does. 🤷‍♀️ I mean, I never would have thought her 3A was under in Canada

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, that’s it, all caught up here. Pretty pale event. I expected more from this comp. hopefully free would be better. Gonna see when men’s final is. That, at least, should be a closely fought competition.

frida80

Record Breaker
The judges have something against Young lately. I’ll have to review her jumps, but I really didn’t see the lutz as under.

Zora

On the Ice
Gubanova is a gorgeous skater, but is her program another 'soul leaving the body, soul returning to the body' story? :palmf:

Isabeau I think is very lucky to be one of the last 15 years old skaters who can skate at senior competitions. She reminds me a lot of the young Russian skaters (the earlier generation without the quads...), who burst onto the scene, grabbed some medals and then fell behind once they started losing their jumps... And I don't think her jump technique will survive puberty easily. So I'm not too excited about her, even though her program is really nice.

Dawn825

Medalist
Young unfortunately is building a reputation for tight jumps, and so she's got getting any benefit of the doubt from the judges. Hopefully it's just a bit if growing pains, and her technique will improve soon.
Isabeau getting an edge call on her flip but not Lutz was a weird choice, her Lutz is obviously not on the right edge but her flip looked normal to me.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Why the long wait before pairs, I was just in the zone :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
It's fairly common for GPs to have morning and afternoon events ticketed separately with a longish break in between. We liked it at Skate Canada in Kelowna as we were able to get our packed lunch out of the car, eat it in a park, then buy some coffee to warm up. We attended the whole event without ever buying any food or drink in the arena. It was a good thing, because the concesssions were mobbed and expensive (I saved money by buying my Friday coffee at the airport!)

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Knowing Japanese feds, I wish to start a very early petition to have Mai sent to World's, even if she happens to come below top 3 in Nationals.

So glad to see Mai at this level considering how she was few years back. :clap:
I would be soooooo pissed if JFS rob Mai of her world team spot again.
If the Japanese Women compete at Nats how they've been competing so far this season one or two of the girls who could place over Mai will be sent to Jr Worlds
So hopefully Worlds assignments will be divided fairly among the other deserving Women
However, it might still be a challenge for Mai to acquire one of those spots
At this point even Kaori (with a PCS advantage) is going to have to skate her very best to retain her earn the National Champion title again

Last edited:

Cilla70

On the Ice
Lovely skate by Gubanova, but her costume was not a good color choice. She seemed to blend into the ice.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My two cents….

I’m so happy Mai is back! She is a lovely person. Always so sweet towards Kaori and yet… she didn’t get chosen for Olympics and Worlds, despite clearly having the resume over Kawabe. So, for me, I have no mercy, I’m really rooting for Mai this season. I would love for her to place top two, at her two events and qualify for a Grand Prix finals. I can just see Mai and Kaori supporting one another and I need this to happen. For Worlds, she has to hold off Watanabe (3A and SC winner) Yoshida (beat Mai at Sectionals), Chiba, Rion (4T and bronze medal at SF) and Rika (if Rika recovers her missing triples).

Levito - I thought she was great here. On video, she does seem to have good skating skills. She was smart to go for 3Lz 3T instead of the 3Lo here. I’m curious to see what arsenal she’ll pull out for the free skate. Mai and her are evenly matched. I think I’m giving the slight edge to Isabeau, because domestically, Mai has been having issues with the loop/salchow.

Gubanova - All by herself in third place. She should really work on those spins though. Her programs are always well executed and I find her just losing focus at the end with sloppy spins. Could lose her bronze medal if she doesn’t focus.

Izzo and Kurakova - Both show you don’t need triple triples to contend for top 6 position as at Grand Prix events.

You - Something is off with her this year. Skate Canada was cruel to her. I felt she should have been the silver medalist there. The judges seem to like to attack her.

Daleman - You have a chance now to go for the minimum TES score. Let’s land those triples tmrw

Tennell - I love my Queen. She didn’t smile, at the beginning because she was laser focused. I’m curious to find out how many triples she will land tmrw. Just to get an idea of what kind of shape she is in. Gracie, this is how you skate? Bradie attacks her programs and was so refreshing to watch.