2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Poor Vincent. Who knows how he got the crud. If he has it. I'll still hope it's a false positive test until verified by another test.

16Olympics

On the Ice
I listened to his Instagram video and while he’s sad and I’m sad for him, he vows to come back stronger for worlds and is thankful for his teammates and his contribution to the Team silver medal. Worried about what he has to do now that he’s positive and in a foreign country. Best wishes to him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GS will soon be filled with posts lamenting that this skater or that skater did not do as well as expected... or did not win... or wuzrobbed.

And none of that is a tragedy. A skater working so hard for so long, only to have the opportunity to compete snatched away... that is the tragedy.

Get well soon, Vincent. Look forward to seeing you at Worlds.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Get healthy, Vincent, and I hope you can avoid the horrible quarantine situation there at the games.

On another note, I noticed Nathan skates right after Yuma in the Men's SP. I wonder, if Yuma gets a huge score and crowd reaction, will it spook Nathan a bit. YES I know it's Nathan but.. Anyway I hope Yuma does get a big score and Nathan skates squeaky clean and gets an even bigger score.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
This is heartbreaking. This brings the tally to 4 skaters/teams where COVID has prevented them from competing. Vincent, Keegan (team), german pair (team, hopefully they can do individual) and the Ukrainian skater (team).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm extremely sad for Vincent. 😭
Hope that he is asymptomatic or has only mild symptoms. :pray:
And that he at least is feeling a lot of support from afar.

It's impossible to change an athlete after the draw.

Also, because Vincent did the team event, an alternate can no longer replace him (it's the rules). Ilia could only replace Jason.

As a hypothetical matter: The rules would not permit Ilia to replace Jason at this point.
As @AlexBreeze already has said, it would be too late to replace any men's entry because the draw already has happened.

I just got news Aleksandr had dislocated his shoulder in practise :(

But lest anyone wonder: Aleksandr Selevko still is planning to compete -- after going to the hospital and getting help from Chinese doctors.

Good luck to Sasha and to all.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Get healthy, Vincent, and I hope you can avoid the horrible quarantine situation there at the games.

On another note, I noticed Nathan skates right after Yuma in the Men's SP. I wonder, if Yuma gets a huge score and crowd reaction, will it spook Nathan a bit. YES I know it's Nathan but.. Anyway I hope Yuma does get a big score and Nathan skates squeaky clean and gets an even bigger score.

Probably not? Nathan has had to skate after Yuzuru multiple times and kept it together. I think the pressure will likely come from trying to match the short program he did in the team event. Sort of a "don't want to leave it on the practice ice" situation.

I'm more concerned about Yuma - well, frankly any of the men who did the free skate yesterday. The scheduling is absolutely, unnecessarily brutal.

Erin9

On the Ice
I listened to his Instagram video and while he’s sad and I’m sad for him, he vows to come back stronger for worlds and is thankful for his teammates and his contribution to the Team silver medal. Worried about what he has to do now that he’s positive and in a foreign country. Best wishes to him.
I feel so badly for him. Hopefully he can come back strong at worlds.

Meanwhile- he contributed to team silver, and that is the best Team USA has done in this event. That’s something to be proud of.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aww, I am so sad about Zhou….hope Selevko could still compete or is it a withdrawal? those guys are so hardboiled,it’s hard to say what could stop them.