2022 Olympics: Women's Short Program | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Women's Short Program

KaoriFan

Rinkside
Were it not for catching her Matrix program last year, I would still be watching only men skate. Her movement across the ice is quite different than the rest— a pleasure to watch.

I've always been huge Yuna fan, but after she retired I saw Kaori skate at Skate America 2017. She was just fabulous! Johnny Weir and Tara said it very well that her skating is like crushed velvet, with a bit of Midori Ito thrown in.

I'm already a fan then, but next I saw her at Four Continents 2018 later that season, she was even faster and lighter on her feet!

Since then I thought, wow! Kaori is the heir! She's the best pure skater of her generation. That comes because she trains very determined on her skating skills. The Russians warm-up for 2 minutes and then immediately start doing quads at practice. Kaori will train her skating skills for 20 minutes or more sometimes. Even before she tries her first jump!

Now she didn't just skate at one Olympics and retire when she's 15-17, she's had four more years to develop and mature, and you're absolutely right about her Matrix program. It even reminded me of Yuzuru sometimes.

I think her personality and disregard for feminine fear and reservation really comes across in that program. Her "slash the judges" move is my all-time favorite!

Skaters will always tell their story if you just watch them skate. Usually in ladies most of the girls will be some variation of ice princess or passionate, dedicated skater with many resources but ceiling to their talent. My biggest pet peeves are the delicate, dainty flower types, and the girls who seem bothered to even point their arms once or twice in between technical element.

Kaori's skating tells her story. She's four years older now, much stronger skater, but not like a truck or bowling ball on the ice. She still has that same crushed velvet, light quality to her skating, that is now combined with all of that incredible power and panache.

Last night at Olympics her "Now We Are Free" program, I thought she even reminded me of Shizuka Arakawa at Torino 2006. She had that same womanly, ethereal quality. I could just picture Dick Button saying: "that is a grown woman on the ice!" It's a quality that takes many years and many different paths to develop. Shizuka is a legend, but Kaori was even better last night.

Kaori Sakamoto is a legend too. There's no other skater like her, and maybe never will be. Last night was her night, and I'm so happy for her she has put herself in position to realize all her dreams!

Last edited:

Janice4th

On the Ice
The lack of objectivity and blatant partisanship is even worst and a true reflection of the mentality of these people. These Russian haters are so pathetic their bias and hate are so transparent.
I like many skaters from different countries, among them Kolyada (loved Free skate this year). I would have been ecstatic if Takahashi had an Olympic gold medal. Finding the Russian ladies skating generic doesn’t equal hate. It just means I find their cookie cutter skating over scored.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did we ever work out the significance of it?

Although I read through the Team Event and Ice Dance competition threads in their entirity, I skipped the Men's competition threads because they were far too long. So, I might have missed the answer.

CaroLiza_fan

It is a prop/thing? From the team event. But seems to bring good luck to all!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Can't understand why they went with US nationals tech box instead of standard ISU tech box...
They can’t use standard ISU tech box. Only traffic light or US Nationals tech box (or some other tech box they invent I suppose).

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Last night at Olympics her "Now We Are Free" program, I thought she even reminded me of Shizuka Arakawa at Torino 2006. She had that same womanly, ethereal quality. I could just picture Dick Button saying: "that is a grown woman on the ice!" It's a quality that takes many years and many different paths to develop. Shizuka is a legend, but Kaori was even better last night.
I just went back and watched Shizuka's 2006 FS again. I prefer Kaori's skating and her presence on the ice. Jumps can be taught. Not presence. The same is true when someone walks into a room. And what happens to the room after they leave.

Sabsi

On the Ice
I've always been huge Yuna fan, but after she retired I saw Kaori skate at Skate America 2017. She was just fabulous! Johnny Weir and Tara said it very well that her skating is like crushed velvet, with a bit of Midori Ito thrown in.

I'm already a fan then, but next I saw her at Four Continents 2018 later that season, she was even faster and lighter on her feet!

Since then I thought, wow! Kaori is the heir! She's the best pure skater of her generation. That comes because she trains very determined on her skating skills. The Russians warm-up for 2 minutes and then immediately start doing quads at practice. Kaori will train her skating skills for 20 minutes or more sometimes. Even before she tries her first jump!

Now she didn't just skate at one Olympics and retire when she's 15-17, she's had four more years to develop and mature, and you're absolutely right about her Matrix program. It even reminded me of Yuzuru sometimes.

I think her personality and disregard for feminine fear and reservation really comes across in that program. Her "slash the judges" move is my all-time favorite!

Skaters will always tell their story if you just watch them skate. Usually in ladies most of the girls will be some variation of ice princess or passionate, dedicated skater with many resources but ceiling to their talent. My biggest pet peeves are the delicate, dainty flower types, and the girls who seem bothered to even point their arms once or twice in between technical element.

Kaori's skating tells her story. She's four years older now, much stronger skater, but not like a truck or bowling ball on the ice. She still has that same crushed velvet, light quality to her skating, that is now combined with all of that incredible power and panache.

Kaori Sakamoto is a legend too. There's no other skater like her, and maybe never will be. Last night was her night, and I'm so happy for her she has put herself in position to realize all her dreams!
Wow couldn‘t agree more!
Every word (about being a long time Yuna Fan, about the fascination watching Kaori the first time at Skate America, about her growing …) this is expressing exactly my feelings <3

viennaskater

Medalist
Challengers are usually a good chance to catch high-level skaters in a more quiet and intimate setting, and I was looking for that sort of atmosphere...
So right! Cheap tickets, no security and possible to get 'up close and personal' to skaters if you want to (well - take your photo with them anyway!). Which is why I usually go to Nebelhorn Trophy and Ondrej Nepela Memorial (when it's not cancelled!) every year. They used to hold the Karl Schaefer Trophy at the ice rink just down the road from me, but sadly no more. It was actually FREE entry and sit where you like.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
They really aren't posting any videos on youtube huh erg! I want to rewatch but i dont want to go through ads on Peacock. :bang:

Tomadeur

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Looked like a couple of Slavic names for the tech panel.
The tech panel was from Sweden/Italy (team event/single competition), Canada, Croatia. So not a couple, but only one. At no time does one person make a sole decision, but it's always a majority decision of the TC, TS, and AS.

Is it so hard to stick to the facts and not spread fake news all the time?

Edit: Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, but I just think it's a shame that the panel of judges are being accused of nationalism and fraud for no reason at all.

Last edited:

KaoriFan

Rinkside
I just went back and watched Shizuka's 2006 FS again. I prefer Kaori's skating and her presence on the ice. Jumps can be taught. Not presence. The same is true when someone walks into a room. And what happens to the room after they leave.

You used great word choice there! Presence. That's what I mean when I said Kaori last night remind me of Shizuka in 2006. They are two very different skaters, of course, but they both have maturity above the Olympic moment and total mastery of their own personal skillset.

Wow couldn‘t agree more!
Every word (about being a long time Yuna Fan, about the fascination watching Kaori the first time at Skate America, about her growing …) this is expressing exactly my feelings <3

Yuna + Kaori fans unite!

They both have similar qualities with their skating, Kaori is the one who I can be happy to watch after Yuna retired for instance. But Yuna have more sadness in her skating, I think, that came from the pressure. A love/hate relationship with her skates, that bring out the true artistry. Whereas Kaori has a more normal life. I feel her soul completely bonded to her skate blades more than any ladies skater I've ever seen.

People can focus on whatever they want when they watch someone skate-- jumps, spins, lines, artistic performance, etc. Of course, a Russian girl may get scored higher if she does quads. There may be American girl after girl on cereal box, or any 15 year old from any country in the world with good attack who finishes her routine with that OMG I DID IT IM SO HAPPY! look on her face.

But I want to see something on the edge of the world I've never seen before. Kaori's skating is like that.

Indomitable will of attack, speed, power, and lightness across the ice.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I agree. Kaori's presence on the ice combined with her extremely fast, smooth skating and big, stable jumps is just something special. I prefer Men and ID usually, but Kaori is an exception. And I will so enjoy her program about "being a woman" today compared to the poor little stick figures who will probably land on the podium.

KaoriFan

Rinkside
I agree. Kaori's presence on the ice combined with her extremely fast, smooth skating and big, stable jumps is just something special. I prefer Men and ID usually, but Kaori is an exception. And I will so enjoy her program about "being a woman" today compared to the poor little stick figures who will probably land on the podium.

Her jumps in the short program were of the absolute highest quality. Amazing!

Janice4th

On the Ice
The tech panel was from Sweden/Italy (team event/single competition), Canada, Croatia. So not a couple, but only one. At no time does one person make a sole decision, but it's always a majority decision of the TC, TS, and AS.

Is it so hard to stick to the facts and not spread fake news all the time?

Edit: Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, but I just think it's a shame that the panel of judges are being accused of nationalism and fraud for no reason at all.
I saw two Slavic names on that list posted here - and I was responding to the whole there aren’t any Russian judges- well, there were former Soviet block ones on the tech panel.
As to how fair they are, I’m not accusing them of anything. I’d have to sit down and do a comparison with each skater and their marks, and I don’t have time for that.

Tomadeur

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I saw two Slavic names on that list posted here - and I was responding to the whole there aren’t any Russian judges- well, there were former Soviet block ones on the tech panel.
As to how fair they are, I’m not accusing them of anything. I’d have to sit down and do a comparison with each skater and their marks, and I don’t have time for that.
To see that judges from former Soviet Union countries do not favor Russian women it is enough to look at the protocols. You don't even have to look at the skates itself, because european an american judges gave higher scores. See also my post #1.435.

One could perhaps claim that ALL judges favor skaters from the powerful federations, but there is no evidence that the former countries of the Soviet Union favor Russians in particular.

Fanof

On the Ice
Be faithful to her ideals. She said it in the post-SP interview, it doesn't matter that she's fourth, she cares that she tried that personal battle with 3A. She is brave (at this point she reminds me of Yuzuru). He's not playing it safe even if it costs him podium positions.
That's not exactly what I saw once the FP was over.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Why are there so many reviews for everyone except Russians??
Because Russians rotates their jumps on landing and if jump looks good in real time - TP is not seeing reason to put it for rewatch. Edges are assessed mostly on poorly landed jumps as well.

irriya

On the Ice
I don't hate Kaori at all. But I do get tired of people acting like the Russian Fed is the only source of corruption and unfair judging in skating and attacking their skaters scores only. In the SP, Kaori also benefitted from lenient tech calls and generous GOE and PCS just like the Russians did, compared to the very strict way it was called for most of the skaters. For example Kaori not only got away with her flutz, but it actually got more GOE than Wakaba's perfect 3A. Not to mention getting 9+ in every component to Higuchi's 8.5- in everything. Just ridiculous, but all you here is that Russians were overscored and Wakaba AND Kaori were underscored. That is an insult to Wakaba,who along with every other Japanese skater, including Rika, has had to endure this for several years now. I don't blame Kaori for this, the JSF used to do the same with Satoko, and completely ignore her URs for years.
simply compare Kaori's combo with Wakaba's combo, the height distance and rotation. Kaori has much more speed than Wakaba especially in the later portion of the program. Kaori skated last in the sp and right after Trusova in fs, but delivered beautiful clean programs, kind of saved the competition. Kaori is also 2 time winning national champion and helped secure 3 spots for Olympics in 21 world Championship. Hope this helps you see a little bit difference.