2022 Skate America Women's Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Women's Free Skate

Country
Norway
Sadly Gracie will not be at any more of them so bring them on I say.
The good news is she is going to Ice Challenge and she is hungry to skate better there, it´s good to know she has one more international before Nationals. She said she was disappointed after the FS now, and that she is still digesting. "There were really good and really catastrophic moments" she said. Yes, focus on the good as well, not only the bad things. I think she is getting better at it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How much do I love Tenley Albright awarding the medals to the women!

And she's not putting up with the nonsense of just holding up a tray for them to pick out a medal, she's gracefully placing them around their necks as God intended.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And she got another Challenger in a few weeks, so she should have a bye to Nationals. Yay!
Correct. That will be an exciting event…. I don’t think there is a clear favourite at this event. So, a good opportunity for Gracie to prove herself. With a score of 170+ At SA, I’m now satisfied for her to get a bye to Nationals. I just need Gracie to leave out the 3F and to add more 3S and to focus on the second half of her free skates.

rain

Record Breaker
too much shrieking and screeching in the music today. add to that the shrieking from the audience ... I had to turn it way down
What I objected to were all the various different Phantom of the Opera programs. I felt like I'd travelled back in time, lol. I groaned whenever another started (this is across disciplines, not just women's).

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She has both for 4CC and the short for World’s. Hopefully she can get the long at Ice Challenge, or maybe they will send her someone else to try to get it.
She has one more event to attempt this. The second half of her free skates have been all atrocious at all four of her events. Even if she fails, I don’t think she is ready to represent USA for Worlds. There are too many girls from USA with triples in the second half of their free skates. If she fails in Austria, at least she can still nab a spot for 4CC, if she skates lights out (top 4 or top 5) at US Nationals.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How much do I love Tenley Albright awarding the medals to the women!

And she's not putting up with the nonsense of just holding up a tray for them to pick out a medal, she's gracefully placing them around their necks as God intended.
So neat for these girls to personally meet such a living legend and all around awesome human being

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really happy to see Dr Albright handing out the medals! Back then in the 50s, do you know what kind of jumps the women were mostly doing? Double axels and some triples?
Dick Button was the first skater of any gender to land a triple. It was a triple loop at the Olympics in 1952. So women were not doing any triples in the 1950s. Petra Burka was the first female to land a triple jump. It was at the Canadian Championships in 1962. It was a triple Sal. So in the 50s women would be doing double and even some single jumps. (Maybe single axel?). This seems so simple to us now but remember skaters back then didn’t have sponsors and had to be amateurs to be in the Olympics. Therefore I doubt they could train as long. Also Carol Heiss Jenkins and David Jenkins have both had to have hip replacements and the tech content wasn’t near what it is today. Hopefully technique and medical care is better now or we may see skaters like Nathan or Hanyu not be able to walk at 50🥲🥲🥲🥲

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has one more event to attempt this. The second half of her free skates have been all atrocious at all four of her events. Even if she fails, I don’t think she is ready to represent USA for Worlds. There are too many girls from USA with triples in the second half of their free skates. If she fails in Austria, at least she can still nab a spot for 4CC, if she skates lights out (top 4 or top 5) at US Nationals.
There are competitions between US Nationals and worlds she could potentially be sent to to get them. They had to send Ilya to a comp before worlds to get his tech minimums (note that I don’t expect them to do this, but they could).

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaori just missed beating the leading score this year by 0.07. I think the competition domestically (Nationals) will be tougher for Kaori than these senior events

gleungc6

On the Ice
Dick Button was the first skater of any gender to land a triple. It was a triple loop at the Olympics in 1952. So women were not doing any triples in the 1950s. Petra Burka was the first female to land a triple jump. It was at the Canadian Championships in 1962. It was a triple Sal. So in the 50s women would be doing double and even some single jumps.
How amazing it must be then, to be a pioneer and champion in your sport jumping singles and doubles, and then fast forward to now where you are honouring women doing triples on the regular! The sport has really changed so much, it's awe-inducing!

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should be required viewing for this event...

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Correct. That will be an exciting event…. I don’t think there is a clear favourite at this event. So, a good opportunity for Gracie to prove herself. With a score of 170+ At SA, I’m now satisfied for her to get a bye to Nationals. I just need Gracie to leave out the 3F and to add more 3S and to focus on the second half of her free skates.
I pray the injury is healed well before then.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, question regarding Ambers free skate layout? 🤔
She has skated two events now where she completely leaves out the three jump combo. Does she not know she is allowed three combos in this segment? 😳
This hasn’t affected her placements, yet. But, if she loses to somebody at Nationals for a podium spot or some international event by five points (she has a chance for Grand Prix Finals), this could be a difference. She likes to do two flips and loops, but, I suggest she add her best jump, the double axel, as a sequence to one of those single jumps. 3F 2A 2A or 3Lo 2A 2T, as an example. Or take out one of those single jumps like the 3Lo and replace with a 2A 3T