2023-24 Challenger Events annouced | Golden Skate

2023-24 Challenger Events annouced

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
September 8-10, 2023 Bergamo, ITA (including Pair Skating)

September 14-16, 2023 Pierrefonds, Quebec, CAN (including Pair Skating)

September 20-23, 2023 Oberstdorf, GER (including Pair Skating)

September 28-30, 2023 Bratislava, SVK

October 4-8, 2023 Espoo, FIN (including Pair Skating)

October 13-15, 2023 Budapest, HUN

November 2-5, 2023 Almaty, KAZ

November 7-12, 2023 Graz, AUT

November 15-19, 2023 Warsaw, POL

December 6-9, 2023 Sisak, CRO (including Pair Skating)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Eight events in Europe, one in North America, and one in Asia? At least they should include both Canadian and US events, if the feds are willing to host them.

Edited to correct count. Point remains that Europe is highly over-represented!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What do you mean?

It is by far the most badly run event of the season. And it has been for as long as many of us can remember!

No entry lists until the last minute. No livestreaming. No livescoring. No results until long after the competitions are over.

Every year, there are problems. And every year, we are saying that it should lose it's Challenger status, and that the ISU should have the Santa Claus Cup in Budapest as the finale of the series instead. Because it is one of the best run events of the season. Plus, it is normally held a week earlier, which means that it doesn't clash with the GP Final (which the Golden Spin does).

But, the ISU still keep giving the Golden Spin the honour of being the final Challenger event.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It is by far the most badly run event of the season. And it has been for as long as many of us can remember!

No entry lists until the last minute. No livestreaming. No livescoring. No results until long after the competitions are over.

Every year, there are problems. And every year, we are saying that it should lose it's Challenger status, and that the ISU should have the Santa Claus Cup in Budapest as the finale of the series instead. Because it is one of the best run events of the season. Plus, it is normally held a week earlier, which means that it doesn't clash with the GP Final (which the Golden Spin does).

But, the ISU still keep giving the Golden Spin the honour of being the final Challenger event.

CaroLiza_fan

I see. That makes sense. I guess it's deteriorated from about 2 years ago when I watched a stream from it.
But as it would be the second Challenger in Hungary, I think it would be great if they reintroduced Asian Open at this time of the year. Like someone is saying here, there are not enough Challengers in Asia and North America, and those skaters need to travel far for CS. The European CS are a life saver for me, but I feel for the fans outside of Europe who cannot travel far and for whom GP (and other prestigious events) is kind of expensive. An Asian Challenger in December/late November would also give skaters from e.g. Japan a chance to participate as they wouldn't need to skip it due to Nationals scheduling conflict.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Maybe I'll drag myself to Oberstdorf this year. It's the only major-ish skating event that's even in my country, but it really depends on if some A-listers will be there.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I see. That makes sense. I guess it's deteriorated from about 2 years ago when I watched a stream from it.
But as it would be the second Challenger in Hungary, I think it would be great if they reintroduced Asian Open at this time of the year. Like someone is saying here, there are not enough Challengers in Asia and North America, and those skaters need to travel far for CS. The European CS are a life saver for me, but I feel for the fans outside of Europe who cannot travel far and for whom GP (and other prestigious events) is kind of expensive. An Asian Challenger in December/late November would also give skaters from e.g. Japan a chance to participate as they wouldn't need to skip it due to Nationals scheduling conflict.

True, with the Budapest Trophy having Challenger status in recent years, they are unlikely to go to the same country twice. And I would not be a fan of that happening, especially when the Autumn Classic and the US Classic have to alternate. Both North American events should be part of the Challenger Series every season.

That's not a bad idea about bringing the Asian Open back onto the Challenger fold. It's dates have moved about a lot over the years, but it was held in early December this season. Same week as the Golden Spin, in fact. So, if it stayed at that time of year, it could become an option for finale of the Challenger Series.

Yes, I like this idea. Thank you for coming up with it.

CaroLiza_fan

yesterday

Record Breaker
giphy.gif

Sackie

Medalist
How many entries can the host country send? Cause I hope Skate Canada will send as many in each discipline (esp Womens) as they are allowed for the event in Canada.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
How many entries can the host country send? Cause I hope Skate Canada will send as many in each discipline (esp Womens) as they are allowed for the event in Canada.
3 to each discipline.

MaHa75

On the Ice

CaroLiza_fan
Actually Graz is not better one than Golden Spin. Awful organization. Both competition should be removed!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I had the same reaction. I really enjoyed attending the US Classic this season!
you and @moonvine can write to the ISU : they have been alternating USA and CAN challengers for years... I hate it too... Both events should be held... they could even be held at the same time and there would be enough skaters attending... but no... ISU says no....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
3 to each discipline.
For the Host country, entries are not limited to 3.

3. ENTRIES
3.1 Participation
Participation is open to all Skaters/Couples of ISU Members with a maximum of three entries per category
(except for the Host Member), who are eligible for International “Senior” Competitions by age (Rule 108) and
by citizenship (Rule 109), and entered through the respective ISU Member. The participation of Skaters from
the Host Member into the respective Challenger Series in Figure Skating event is not limited.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
For the Host country, entries are not limited to 3.

3. ENTRIES
3.1 Participation
Participation is open to all Skaters/Couples of ISU Members with a maximum of three entries per category
(except for the Host Member), who are eligible for International “Senior” Competitions by age (Rule 108) and
by citizenship (Rule 109), and entered through the respective ISU Member. The participation of Skaters from
the Host Member into the respective Challenger Series in Figure Skating event is not limited.
Thank you. I mixed it up with GP. Finland usually sends only max three to Finlandia Trophy also in women but when there are WDs they can send more.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you. I mixed it up with GP. Finland usually sends only max three to Finlandia Trophy also in women but when there are WDs they can send more.
I am not sure Canada will send unlimited entries :) but I hope they will send at least 3 in singles and 4-5 in pairs and dance.. The last time I went to Autumn Classic, Skate Canada didn't send more than 3 in any discipline.... but I had the privilege of seeing Piper and Paul, Weaver and Poje as well as VIrtue and Moir at one event ! FBS and Smart-Diaz were also there... as well as Marie-Jade and Romain.... It was quite the event... This was the line up... very cool !