2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Men Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Men Short Program

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I couldn't watch after all due to work. Oh my,what happened to Adam?!
It really wasn't a disaster; he doubled his quad lutz and the rest of his jumps weren't his best but not bad either. His placement is more so a reflection of five other (almost) clean skates, with the only other mistakes in the whole event being two stepouts from fourth and fifth place respectively

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
6 am texts:

Mom: Holy cow, Malinin pawned! Did 4A in the SP. (approximate translation)
Me: Let me guess, it was just enough for 3rd place.
Mom: Watch.I do not tell you. (verbatim, in English)

Watching :coffee::popcorn:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So, once he did 3A, would they actually add 4A and GoE it? Because he technically did the obligatory 2A/3A.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, once he did 3A, would they actually add 4A and GoE it? Because he technically did the obligatory 2A/3A.
This is what I believe happened, yes. The axel did not count initially because it was not 2A/3A.
After he included the 3A later in the program, the 4A could count as the solo jump, and it did.
Odd system, but I get how that played out.

I am flummoxed by the -5 GOE awarded to the 4A by one judge. I can only assume it was an input error. If it were something more sinister, that will have to be addressed. In any event, I don't think it had a lot of impact to the standing, as it was dropped as the low score. I think that 4A was the best I've seen him do in competition.

It's so hard to tell on video, but I don't think Ilia was as "lively" as he was at GP France. Maybe the weight of the 4A plan, maybe toning it down to avoid a fall like he had in France... maybe I'm mistaken.

And finally, the base value of the 4A is definitely undervalued.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am flummoxed by the -5 GOE awarded to the 4A by one judge. I can only assume it was an input error. If it were something more sinister, that will have to be addressed. In any event, I don't think it had a lot of impact to the standing, as it was dropped as the low score. I think that 4A was the best I've seen him do in competition.
Maybe the judge wasn't aware that 4A was now allowed in short, after it was rectified in the free. Malinin has steel nerves backed by youthful ardor and healthy dose of bravura, but if they keep hanging him to dry like this, I dunno. Good thing he has family to keep him from breaking. This was a ridiculously low lead even for anti TES ISU.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As always, an outlier, but for me....

Kévin!!!:hap10::hap10::hap10:

All the presentation, just all of it. And then to read that the SP portrays trans friends, still not easy to say in such a tradition laden sport.

Respect:rock:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Separately, I did see on replay the others.

Ilia, Shoma, and Yuma each bringing it in their own way, and a virtual tie for first after the SP. It will be an exciting free.

But with such a small field, each skater brings something of value.:clap:

mrrice

Record Breaker
What a great event.......Being from the US, it is a thrill to see Ilia in the top spot. I watched his SP on a fan cam and he is MUCH faster this year. He has improved in every area. It could have gone either way with the top 3, IMO......So excited for the free. I'd be happy seeing any of these men win it all with a spectacular Free Program.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ilia should've been happier...he was awarded higher PCS than my child

:popcorn:...waiting for y'all to come at me~
I just woke up and looked at the protocols.... when I saw that a judge gave 9.75 and 9.5 to Ilia... and that in total he got 44... i was like MEH. Sorry but 40 is plenty. I will watch later because who knows, someone can improve a lot in a short period of time... but 9.75 in one of the PCS components sounds like quad axel bonus... at the same time, I said it in the pre-game chat... if he wants to win, he will need the 4axel... he tried not including it in so far this season with mixed results.

For those complaining he should be miles ahead... you need to understand how scoring works :) Ilia's Base Value with a quad axel is only a couple points more than Shoma (or Adam if he didn't pop) as they too have high valued quads in their short program. It's 5 points higher than guys who do the two simpler quads. Where it can make more of a difference is in the LP where it does give him the opportunity to only do quads and triple axels compared to the others who will include triple jumps (like a loop or a lutz or a flip)

sworddance21

On the Ice
What a wonderful event! Someone on this forum last year called Ilia a "Magnificent Brat" and I just love that moniker for him. I'm a huge fan of Shoma's skating and I'm happy to see him be rewarded for his skating skills and artistry. Ilia is bringing his own brand. I hope he continues to learn and watch Shoma/Jason/Kevin and continues to develop not only his performance ability (which I think he has) but also his blade skills. Can't wait for the FREE!!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't believe my skating radar woke me up (again!) 10 minutes before the men started, but I was too much of a coward to watch live! LOL. True confessions -- checked the standings and then watched the replay. Fun event! I hope the free is as entertaining.

Kevin -- Love the way he pours himself into that SP. He looked comfortable and confident out there. Love the Aymoz slide. Good job.
Yuma -- That 4S of his is to die for. Jumps didn't look quite as pristine as at NHK, but still beautiful! Starting to see little hints of his personality peeking through. Great speed.
Kao -- Maybe not as refined as the others, but still! I love his raw energy, wildness, and speed. Tough break on the turnout on the first jump. This program calms him down a little and keeps him from getting into runaway freight train mode, which I think is good.
Ilia -- Congrats to Ilia on his history-making 4A. And it wasn't just eked out. It was the real deal. The spring in his jumps is just amazing! Nice to see him stand up under the pressure and expectations of the 4A. I've liked this SP on him since the beginning of the season. He has sharpened up the moves a lot. Every time he does that "raspberry" move, I'm still saying "What IS that?!" :laugh2:
Adam -- ouch, tough break on the invalid element. Obviously, not the score he was hoping for. He has some very cool moves with his cartwheel, Arabian, running on the ice. Not sure what happens with the flow on his combos -- almost seems like he comes to a dead stop between jumps. Hoping for a redemption skate in the free for him.
Shoma -- Thx for that seamless, beautiful skate. Love the way he is not backing off from the 4T-3T this season, the lean back transition before he goes into the 3A. Even a mini fist pump and a smile at the end.

Great to have a competition that was not a splatfest. Each skater showing his uniqueness. Well done.