2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Pairs Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Pairs Short Program

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deanna looked great for someone who is still recovering from RSV. I hope her stamina is back for the FS as well.

It's really close between 2-4 so the rest of the podium is still up for grabs. Kelly Ann's reaction to their skate was adorable.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My favourite event so far.

The top team was impeccable, despite Deanne feeling sick. They are then followed by three strong potential top ten teams. Lia landed a throw triple salchow. I expected the usual double. She is learning doubles fast 😳

Also, I was really happy with the Saskatchewan team and Nic Nadeau. They are within contention of the selection criteria. Skate Canada requires pairs team to score 160+ Domestically, prior to sending them to international events. Will be praying for them to score a bit over 100, so I can see team 5&6 internationally.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
catching up

First flight :
very pleased with Carignan Pierro. They are a young developing team and they improved tons since Challenge. Bravo.

Caidence and Raine : such a dynamic and powerful team. I have read they were matched a few years ago and competed in juniors but to me, they are new since Challenge. I think they can score even higher as their strengths are with the lift and it wasn't stellar tonight (though it was still quite good because they are that good with lifts... ) and in the LP, there are 3 big scoring lift opportunities ! Bravo on those salchows too ! WOW!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
2nd flight :

ermmm very3 handsome men here LOL :)

i like the bright colours we see on the ice, especially Emma's dress.

Emma and Nic : great twist WOW !!!!!! also a very cool looking and high scoring lift. Nice death spiral. Funny how the SBS elements cost her the most with the jump and spin ... the throw, I don't care it didn't work that well because it's quite new for them to do a triple. BRAVO.. the steps were also super nice ! I find them beautifully matched and i cannot wait to see how they develop. She's 20 and he is 25.. they could keep at this for a few years and really shine at the end of the cycle. Emma looked a bit 'nervous/relieved at the end... normal.. skating at Nationals is a big deal. Her first time in seniors.

OMG.... Tylda and Gabriel. So much better than I thought they would be for a rather new team. So unfortunate about the lift . Their twist is AMAZING ! World class ! Who would have thought Canada would become a leading force in twist in just over a few months... after years of having teams with small twists...

Lia will be tired after these two skates... but also, Trennt... the save on the exit of the lift must have been tough on his back. So happy to see them do a triple salchow throw... I think they were only attempting doubles previously. The spins were disappointing, but otherwise WOW !

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
3rd flight

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brooke and Ben ! Superstars in the making. I am more and more convinced every time I watch them. They are so elegant out there with their long lines. There is some guts and fight into them too! I loved this program for them !

Gosh... i am out of superlatives ! Kelly Ann and Loucas : if there were a thing I was hoping for at the beginning of the season for them, it was better connection to the music and performance flair... they brought the house down with a dynamic and lively skate ! Super strong elements ! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing. The skate america medal was no fluke.

Deanna and Max : happily surprised. Of course, skating the SP may be a tad easier than the LP considering her respiratory virus. But she didn't look impacted at all here tonight.. .One of their best SP of the season.

Deanna is sending a clear message to the young 16 to 20 year old women skating on the National championship ice. She still means business! At the same time, the young girls got a great role model to emulate.

Who said Canadian pairs were done after the retirements? Who said the pairs discipline was dead with the current post-olympic circumstances...

With what we have seen here and also in Japan and Italy (of course with the USA too) there is a strong field developing. Very exciting !!!!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brooke and Ben ! Superstars in the making. I am more and more convinced every time I watch them. They are so elegant out there with their long lines. There is some guts and fight into them too! I loved this program for them !

Gosh... i am out of superlatives ! Kelly Ann and Loucas : if there were a thing I was hoping for at the beginning of the season for them, it was better connection to the music and performance flair... they brought the house down with a dynamic and lively skate ! Super strong elements ! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing. The skate america medal was no fluke.

Deanna and Max : happily surprised. Of course, skating the SP may be a tad easier than the LP considering her respiratory virus. But she didn't look impacted at all here tonight.. .One of their best SP of the season.

Deanna is sending a clear message to the young 16 to 20 year old women skating on the National championship ice. She still means business! At the same time, the young girls got a great role model to emulate.

Who said Canadian pairs were done after the retirements? Who said the pairs discipline was dead with the current post-olympic circumstances...

With what we have seen here and also in Japan and Italy (of course with the USA too) there is a strong field developing. Very exciting !!!!!
Deanna is a 🤴. I hope she is ok for the long. 👑

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He didn't announce his retirement, did he? And nor has Brendan Kerry. I really like these two Australian skaters and hope we might see them again.....
I believe Brendan announced his retirement but I could be wrong. Darian Kaptich is current Australian men’s singles champion.

rain

Record Breaker
3rd flight

This was an incredibly well-skated event. Loved seeing Pereira/Michaud land their first throw triple. I would have maybe had them higher, as I found them smoother and more maturer in presentation than a couple of the teams ahead of them, but perhaps there's something in person I'm not seeing on the screen, and everyone really stepped up their game.

I was glad to see Deanna and Maxime skate so well. I did think she looked pretty winded after the program, though, so I hope she has her stamina back and is completely over her illness that derailed their incredible season at the GPF.

I love Brooke and Ben and they have so much potential, but I want to tell them to just own their long limbs. It gives them beautiful lines at times, but at others they still look like they're settling into their height.

Laurin/Ethier's enthusiasm was infectious today. I really dislike this music for them, though. I don't think it plays to their strengths, which include long, classic lines. But they are fighters, which I love. Most had pretty much written them off for the podium, and they came out swinging.

Not Nic and Emmanuelle's best outing. She looked nervous. He is a complete natural at pairs.

The triple twists of these top teams are stunning.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This was an incredibly well-skated event. Loved seeing Pereira/Michaud land their first throw triple. I would have maybe had them higher, as I found them smoother and more maturer in presentation than a couple of the teams ahead of them, but perhaps there's something in person I'm not seeing on the screen, and everyone really stepped up their game.

I was glad to see Deanna and Maxime skate so well. I did think she looked pretty winded after the program, though, so I hope she has her stamina back and is completely over her illness that derailed their incredible season at the GPF.

I love Brooke and Ben and they have so much potential, but I want to tell them to just own their long limbs. It gives them beautiful lines at times, but at others they still look like they're settling into their height.

Laurin/Ethier's enthusiasm was infectious today. I really dislike this music for them, though. I don't think it plays to their strengths, which include long, classic lines. But they are fighters, which I love. Most had pretty much written them off for the podium, and they came out swinging.

Not Nic and Emmanuelle's best outing. She looked nervous. He is a complete natural at pairs.

The triple twists of these top teams are stunning.
I am guessing speed, especially in and out the elements, may be something Trennt and Lia need to improve on... but i wasn't also at the rink... maybe someone who is attending can comment.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just watched the SP. Sadly a lot of buffering on dailymotion (CBC was geoblocked earlier, so that was impossible) but still possible to enjoy all the skates. Thank you Canada. That was just great. The queen (Deanna) with Maxime was superb but there were many nice skates. I had a great time! The depth of the field was wonderful. So many great up and coming couples but seeing some slightly better known ones but young that skated on the GP field doing well here was also great. I enjoyed Lia/Trennt (not so up and coming but a very new pair nevertheless) and Emannuelle/Nicolas (also new) to a significant extent as well.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes! In this respect, Brooke and Ben could benefit from watching Ashley Cain/Timothy Leduc's skates. They owned the ice (especially in person) and took full advantage of their long limbs and matching beautiful lines.

I ❤️loved Brooke and Ben here (I think they've advanced over this season!) and you've helped me identify why.