New York Times editorial opposes Kwan bye process | Golden Skate

New York Times editorial opposes Kwan bye process

Lois

Rinkside
I read it in the hard copy New York Times, but the online version seems to require a subscription. Perhaps someone can find a link that works. Anyway, here's the headline and opening sentence:

<<SPORTS OF THE TIMES
Real Olympians Don't Do Auditions
By GEORGE VECSEY
Published: January 22, 2006

As the day approaches, Michelle Kwan's private audition for the Winter Games in Turin, Italy, next month sounds more and more like a bad idea. >>
------------------------------------
Basically, Vecsey is opposed to the secret auditions that no one except the five USFSA officials will witness, thinks any such trials should take place out in the open to remove suspicions of commercial pressure and reputation judging, says that Kwan should have had to compete in Four Continents, and that she should be required to skate her complete programs with no do-overs and no isolated bits & pieces. There's more, but that covers the main points.

Lois

lou

Spectator
Of coarse they're going to oppose it since Emily Hughes is from the New York area.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Well it does, I don't want Michelle at the Olympics and if I were to go to to them I will be booing at her and I am disappointed that they let her go.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
That's really sad, muffin, that you would boo ANY skater. Whether you like them or not, agree or not, they (including Kwan) have worked hard, trained hard and don't deserve anyone booing them just because that person doesn't agree with what it is in the rules for the USFS or any other federation. I just don't get fans of any sport booing anyone. I may not like certain athletes for one reason or another, but I certainly am not going to boo them. Booing is for the World Wrestling Federation where it's expected.

Lois

Rinkside
lou said:
Of coarse they're going to oppose it since Emily Hughes is from the New York area.

I don't think that is a big factor with the non-skating sports writers. Kwan is from California, and I've read articles critical of her bye situation in both her home town Los Angeles Times and also in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Lois

Kathy

On the Ice
Ya know I have been following all of the articles about Kwan's bye and there are more positive ones than negative ones. True it is making the headlines but only the negative ones are being posted. I thought, well I'll just start posting all the positive articles - but that's a bit ridiculous. Why are people posting negative articles- got it - the media is divided - some are saying its unfair (mostly journalists who know nothing about skating, or that the Nationals are NOT olympic trials, or that gymnastics and other sports use complicated strategies in determining their Olympic teams , or USFSA rules) others thing it's great. Could we either have just one thread on "the articles debating Kwan's bye," or just discuss the topic in general - instead of posting the negative articles. That way I don't have to fight my impulse to post a positive article for every negative one I see headlined here.

mzheng

Record Breaker
The writer clearly no history knowledge of Figure Skating what's ever.

USFSA IC does the same to Kwan as what they did back in 1994 in Nancy's case. No more no less. Any thing more it would be unfair to Kwan, anything less, it would be unfair to USFSA or the skater compete against her for the 3rd spot.

So far the arrangement looks fair. Nancey's test skating diddn't open to public. Nancy was not send over to another competetion to test out. There is no rule in IC select procedures says the skater got medical bye from National should be send to another competetion to test out. And this is ilogical, if a skater too injured to skate at Nationals how can she compete only two weeks late at another international level competetion? And given the fact that even a healthy Hughes, who just had a break through season, refused to go 4CC in the name of preparing for the worlds, which is about one month late than Olympics. All I can only say the ppl, who suggest send MK to 4CC, either they are extremly ignorance in figure skating, or with the mind to destroy MK's chance to Turino.

Kathy

On the Ice
Basically, Vecsey is opposed to the secret auditions that no one except the five USFSA officials will witness, thinks any such trials should take place out in the open to remove suspicions of commercial pressure and reputation judging, says that Kwan should have had to compete in Four Continents, and that she should be required to skate her complete programs with no do-overs and no isolated bits & pieces. There's more, but that covers the main points.

Great idea! And I think we should do the same with gymnastics - lets tell them no - no more camps to determine the OLy team - unless we televise them - don't trust your judgement to select the best Oly team - Hey I have a better idea maybe we could just have journalists vote on who they think should go in all disciplines - even better idea - we could have another Marshalls and let the public vote on who their favorite is - we could call it Skating Olympic Idol!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
~Muffin~ said:
Well it does, I don't want Michelle at the Olympics and if I were to go to to them I will be booing at her and I am disappointed that they let her go.

Did you boo Todd Eldredge in '92? or Meno & Sand in '98? They got to go to Olys on injury byes, after being injured in training, just like Michelle. When they got byes, there wasn't any controversy -- maybe, because the skaters who didn't get to go to Olys in those two cases weren't related to the reigning OGM. If you didn't boo them, but are planning to boo Michelle, then you will simply reveal yourself to be a flaming hypocrite, IMO. It is simply wrong to say that all other injured skaters can petition for byes, and, many other injured skaters can get them, but only Michelle should be booed -- or have a public test skate -- or be criticized for doing so.

The main concern of the New York Times seems to be that everything be conducted out in the open. This is consistent with their editorial policy -- they are forever filing subpoeas against various congressioinal committees, etc., under the freedom of information act.

Actually, I think this would be good public relations for USFS, to invite the press to Michelle's test skate, if Michelle were willing. That way, we could have a bunch of first person articles saying, "I just saw Michelle skate a 140 point LP! Go team U.S.A.!"

MM :)

LBC

On the Ice
Mathman said:
The main concern of the New York Times seems to be that everything be conducted out in the open. This is consistent with their editorial policy -- they are forever filing subpoeas against various congressioinal committees, etc., under the freedom of information act.

Actually, I think this would be good public relations for USFS, to invite the press to Michelle's test skate, if Michelle were willing. That way, we could have a bunch of first person articles saying, "I just saw Michelle skate a 140 point LP! Go team U.S.A.!"

MM :)

ITA. Skating has this behind closed doors deal making reputation. Letting a few members of the press in would be good idea. I don't think they should have TV cameras and have the whole rink be press but at least have some there to observe and ask questions.

Panther2000

On the Ice
lou said:

As a New yorker I can agree with you on that one. They were over the moon with Sarahs win in 2002. Which there is nothing wrong with that. But, I do think that there is some favortism(sp) going on. When, Sarah showed that she that she wasn't able to beat a Clean Quan or Cohen & proving that her win wasn't anything other than 1 lucky night. She skated great & 3 in front of her had mistakes.

& Fankly, the way that Emily skated at nationals if Michelle had been healthy emily wouln't be going anyways. & Emily failed to make the finals at the GPF top skaters.

Michelle has been to been in 2 olympics & has brought back 2 medals. If she is healthy ( & I am praying that she is) she I think ( depending on her program) she can still medal.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Has it been stated by the head committee person from USFSA that there will be no press or video of Michelle's skate this week? Or is this being assumed?

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Kathy said:
Ya know I have been following all of the articles about Kwan's bye and there are more positive ones than negative ones. True it is making the headlines but only the negative ones are being posted. I thought, well I'll just start posting all the positive articles - but that's a bit ridiculous. Why are people posting negative articles- got it - the media is divided - some are saying its unfair (mostly journalists who know nothing about skating, or that the Nationals are NOT olympic trials, or that gymnastics and other sports use complicated strategies in determining their Olympic teams , or USFSA rules) others thing it's great. Could we either have just one thread on "the articles debating Kwan's bye," or just discuss the topic in general - instead of posting the negative articles. That way I don't have to fight my impulse to post a positive article for every negative one I see headlined here.

I agree. I've read dozens of positive articles, and yet curiously new threads here are only started for the negative ones. Frankly Kathy you'd be able to post far more positive articles for every one negative. But I agree, that would be ridiculous. We know what the consensus is. Clearly some posters have an agenda.

kyla2

Final Flight
Geesh

O.k. the new york times (little n, little y, little t). I would use it to line my birdcage, if I had a bird. Muffin, with a name like that (Muffin), I wouldn't sign on too much if I were you. It's a good name for a pooch. I could care less what they think and that goes for most of us who know figure skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think there is a general consensus here that it was the right decision to send Kwan to the Olys. That makes sense given the demographic of posters here. Plus, it's obvious.

Plus- I believe a bunch of postings of positive articles would just lead to cheerleading. It's the negatives that generate the discussion and controversy.

Someone should post a couple of these positive articles...if they wish to "even the playing field."

Go figure.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
flowjo35 said:
Has it been stated by the head committee person from USFSA that there will be no press or video of Michelle's skate this week? Or is this being assumed?

I think it is being assumed, partly from no word to the contrary, and partly because there were no media at the test skates for Nancy and for Meno & Sand (I read that Todd got his bye without having to do a test skate -- even if not true, it sure was not witnessed by the press). I think that the media has a lot of nerve, criticizing Michelle for seeking a bye (or the USFSA for giving it to her), when that procedure went by the rules, but now the media wants the rules to be ignored to allow them access to the test skate..