New York Times editorial opposes Kwan bye process | Page 4 | Golden Skate

New York Times editorial opposes Kwan bye process

heyang

Record Breaker
While the Hughes sisters are similar, I do enjoy Emily's skating more than Sarah's.

I never particularly enjoyed Sarah's skating. Even at Oly's, I would have grudgingly have given her the LP if Kwan and Slutskaya hadn't had flubs because of the freeness of her skating on that night. It's probably the only performance of Sarah's that I have enjoyed.

Emily seems a little more polished than Sarah. Maybe she got styling tips from her big sister.

As for the topic at hand, if I step back and look at this objectively, the USFSA really has not treated this bye differently from any other in the past. I like the idea of showing MK's test skate from tape if she performs well - and by well I mean that she's at 85% or better. I'll give her the extra 2 weeks to get that last 15% back.

I also hope that she goes to Oly's early to get accustomed to the ice surface. From threads last year, it seems the ice conditions are different - at least, harder in Europe than in US. She should give herself extra time to train on the different surface.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
swannanoa54 said:
That's really sad, muffin, that you would boo ANY skater. Whether you like them or not, agree or not, they (including Kwan) have worked hard, trained hard and don't deserve anyone booing them just because that person doesn't agree with what it is in the rules for the USFS or any other federation. I just don't get fans of any sport booing anyone. I may not like certain athletes for one reason or another, but I certainly am not going to boo them. Booing is for the World Wrestling Federation where it's expected.

I agree. I just think it is very bad manners to boo any athlete. They have not done anything personally to the person that is doing the booing. It's just petty, mean and immature.

One of our local paper's editor wrote an anti-Kwan at the Olympics piece as well. The Tampa Tribune.

Any possibility of being positive in this thread?

Emily's skating is fine. When she gets to the consistency stage, she will be a first rate competitor.

Bebe is dynamite but she too, has got to get to the consistency stage.

Alissa is the best of the lot, and we all know what's wrong.

Katy is a lovely skater and probably will have the most notable improvements in the future.

None of the above deserve to be in Torino One was lucky to get a Nat's bronze; the others have to work harder next year. There is no one better than Sasha and Kimmie at the present time for Torino.

I have no problem adding Kwan to the Torino team, and willing to wait for the test results.

just my opinion on the above blurb.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
I agree. I just think it is very bad manners to boo any athlete. They have not done anything personally to the person that is doing the booing. It's just petty, mean and immature.

One of our local paper's editor wrote an anti-Kwan at the Olympics piece as well. The Tampa Tribune.

I agree about booing athletes being wrong but crooked judges and officials who are proved toe tappers/fixers of events being on the judging panel despite their previous actions i would boo until i'm hoarse - they have to know that the fans don't them ruining our sport.

Ant

ladysarahchatto said:
When I interviewed Michelle for Elle magazine recently, I asked her about that.

Tossing down another shot, Michelle said, "I got my Olympic invite in my pocket. Any wimpy sportswriter who thinks he's man enough to take it away from me, come on with your bad self."

MM ;)

Mathman said:

Tossing down another shot, Michelle said, "I got my Olympic invite in my pocket. Any wimpy sportswriter who thinks he's man enough to take it away from me, come on with your bad self."

MM ;)
10 years from now, people are going to think what you said was serious.
:rofl:

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
10 years from now, people are going to think what you said was serious.
:rofl:

Joe

Stop it... you give people too much credit. It will appear on another board in 45 minutes that Kwan is not nice & bullying defenseless sports writers...;)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:

MM ;)

Oh Larry!:rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus:

bronxgirl

Medalist
Mathman said:

MM ;)

:chorus: :rofl: :chorus: I now have Hunan beef coming out of my nose laughing at that one. You must keep your classes in stitches!

S

SkateFan4Life

NBC's Olympic promotional spots already proclaim that the United States will be sending it's "strongest team ever" to the Olympics. It includes clips of several top US athletes, all of whom are World champions or near the top of their respective sports. Michelle Kwan is the only figure skater included, and it proclaims her as "Five-time World champion", which of course she is. Given the hype, it would be very difficult for Kwan to not be named to the team!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Over the weekend these was an NBC spot that showed "U.S. National Champion Sasha Cohen" instead of Kwan. Yesterday it was back to Kwan shown at the end of her 2002 Olympic SP.