Rank the princesses of the sport | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rank the princesses of the sport

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
depends what role model your princess is... little girls nowadays are just as much of dragon slayers than little boys... wow stereotypes.
She always look like she's ready to slay dragons with her body armor. That is not a princess. :)

TheCzar

On the Ice
Czar, what on earth is this? :eek: The beautiful Queen Liza and the handsome Lost Prince Artur zeros?!

Lol I don't think Liza is demure at all! Even when she tries to be. Apologies! :laugh: But then she's closer to the Surya end of the spectrum which already makes her a bit more interesting that Jenny Kirk, Queen of Hearts. Same goes for Gachinski. He's very.....:slink:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't even know! There are SO many interesting skaters with different personalities:) I suppose there are different princesses in the world, aren't there?)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Would seductress Katarina Witt be more princess or more peasant? We might need a two-dimensional representation here: x-axis for princess to peasant and y-axis for sexy to child-like.

I would put Katarina in the "Diva" category along with Maria B. and Shizuka A. They were beautiful and they knew it. They performed with supreme confidence and were never surprised when they won a big event. I would say that Sarah Hughes was a princess because she, along with rest of the world was shocked when she won the OGM in 2002. It was her one and only major title. It's kind of like Kimmie's 2006 World Title except....That Kimmie also has a national from 2007 which IMO, elevated her status.

Last edited:
Kimmie also has a national from 2007 which IMO, elevated her status.

Not so much, actually. Emily Hughes should have won. Emily won the long program and lost to Kimmie overall by less than a point, Kimmie having been held up slightly in the short program (being world champion and all).

Kimmie did have a fine showing at the 2006 Olympics, though. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir has to rate high as a princess - his abundant use of feathers and sequins and bling plus the makeup, the crown of roses he wore aon his head at the olympics and then the penchant for desinger bags. he could be such a diva on and off the ice including his comments of Evan.

I think that among dedicated figure skating fans the term "princess-y" is always used negatively. Like, stop trying to act so princess-y, get some serious music and choreography and work on your technical weaknesses.

If not, "stop skating to Disney cartoon music in a pink dress and with a simpy smile pasted on your face, and inject some gravitas into your skating."

I don't think anyone ever says, "Oh, she's such a Princess" meaning anything good by it.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that among dedicated figure skating fans the term "princess-y" is always used negatively. Like, stop trying to act so princess-y, get some serious music and choreography and work on your technical weaknesses.

If not, "stop skating to Disney cartoon music in a pink dress and with a simpy smile pasted on your face, and inject some gravitas into your skating."

I don't think anyone ever says, "Oh, she's such a Princess" meaning anything good by it.

Well I'll go against the grain. One of my favorite skaters is Elena Radionova and I think she would totally be able to sell that princess(y) vibe very successfully and I wouldn't feel guilty at all about enjoying it. I defenitly think you're on to something in that having a princess like persona will lead to people hating. Whatever... There is a reason people talk about and love Cinderella and not her sisters. :think:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My all time favorite female skater:

1st. Sasha Cohen

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not so much, actually. Emily Hughes should have won. Emily won the long program and lost to Kimmie overall by less than a point, Kimmie having been held up slightly in the short program (being world champion and all).

Kimmie did have a fine showing at the 2006 Olympics, though. :yes:

Kimmie was really good somewhere besides Nationals in 2007. I want to say it was 4CC, I'll have to check. 4cc 2007 was the event. No KnC but you can see the program. She moves up from 6th to win the event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iecZGNJ9ufw

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jenny Kirk was the most princessy ever. The hair, the voice, the demure prettiness, the petite figure, the flutz (princesses can't be bothered), she skated to The Princess Diaries, and she drew hearts in the ice.

Oh yes. This one is a good example of princess-y skater.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Being princess-y doesn't hurt your scoring potential though. No one is going to dock 5 points out of your choreography.
I'd argue the system likes to reward princess-y skaters more often than not. That's why they all try to package like one and drive fans off the the wall. being an ice skating princess is the expectation. It's not that bad except for being boring and predictable down to the plastic smile.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Lol I don't think Liza is demure at all! Even when she tries to be. Apologies! :laugh: But then she's closer to the Surya end of the spectrum which already makes her a bit more interesting that Jenny Kirk, Queen of Hearts. Same goes for Gachinski. He's very.....:slink:

The Warrior Queen does not need to be demure! She just needs to slay! As for my Lost Prince...he is still regal and proud and strong! :)

There is a reason people talk about and love Cinderella and not her sisters. :think:

Yes, but… The reason people don't like Cinderella's wicked step-sisters is that they were cruel and mean. People love Cinderella because she is a rags to riches heroine whose true virtue, kindness and other admirable qualities were overlooked and suppressed until they triumphantly burst forth (with a little help from her Fairy Godmother).

As to becoming a princess (by marrying the prince), this story comes from a time when the only possible "happy ending" to any girl's life was to marry well. But as a princess she was the same down to earth girl she always was, and never forgot her old friends Jaques and Gus.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/c1qJfH17DTk/maxresdefault.jpg

Barb

Record Breaker
Alissa C.
Kiira K.
Mao A. (I know, she did her Rach´s programs but when she is in princess mood she is VERY princess. She does not try, is her nature)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Mao A. (I know, she did her Rach´s programs but when she is in princess mood she is VERY princess. She does not try, is her nature)

Agree. I know her Rach is one of the exceptions but Mao does light, airy, "princess-y" type of programs well. This might as well be the reason why I'm a bit unsure about her new programs.