Rank the princesses of the sport | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rank the princesses of the sport

Rissa

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner Reigning Princess (and I mean it in a good way :yes2: )

Ashley Wagner? She's the least princessy American skater, I'd rate her abot 3/10 (Thank God). Now, Polina is a different matter.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Classically natural princessy skaters: Oksana Baiul, Mao Asada, Jenny Kirk, Michelle Kwan, Shizuka Arakawa
Fiery, passionate princess: Sasha Cohen, Maria Butyrskaya, Kristi Yamaguchi, Yuna Kim Vancouver 2010
Sweet but steely princess: Zhenya Medvedeva, Lena Radio, Satoko Miyahara, Yuna Kim post 2010, Tara Lipinski
Definitely not a princess: Tonya Harding, Surya Bonaly, Irina Slutskaya, Lisa Tuks, Courtney Hicks, Wakaba Higuchi

Just realize that in the 6.0 era, you definitely need some princessy like feel to score in the presentation. The definitely non princess type will really get it tough then.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Interesting thread. Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Polina Edmunds appears very princessy to me. I read somewhere she's always trying to get some Disney music to skate to. I don't follow her enough to verify that. But the hair, costuming, actions, etc. all point to 'princess'.

Wakaba Higuchi is one that is in the mold of Midori Ito. She's really unlike all the other Japanese ladies out there right now IMO and not a princess in my eyes. Not at all.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I used to think that princess-quality is a great praise for ladies' skaters, but since I watched Nancy Kerrigan's behaviors at Lillehammer, the meaning does not always come positive at least for me.

While Tonya was far from an ice princess, I thought she was so cool and could be dubbed a Rock and Roll goddess.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Interesting, no one mentioned Ziyun Li!!

my list- not rank:

Michelle Kwan, Lu Chen, Sasha Cohen, Mao Asada, Marin Honda, Alissa C., Ziyun Li, Kiira Korpi,Yuna Kim, Shizuka Arakawa

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s for her Liebestraum :)

Glad to know. I just searched Ladies in Lavender and saw that wasn't the one. She looks great in lavender, but then I think she looks great in just about any color!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
How could you possibly give Tuk a ZERO? She blew kisses at the judges and her costumes were the best!! She the Princess of Russia's Jersey Shore. I'm still waiting for Snooky On Ice Starring Tuk. I love her. :points:

:laugh2:

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't know who designs Mao's dresses but they are always just gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
If your name is Alisa (or Alissa) you will be a princess for sure. :luv17:

Alissa Czisny
Alisa Lozko
Alisa Fedichkina

Other current skaters not mentioned before:

Park So Youn;
Julia Lipnitskaia;
Angelina Kuchvalska.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh yes!
Marin Honda is the current princess. Everything is so dainty and princessy. And I'm buying her princess act, too. It seems authentic.

Based on Marin's facial expression in the K&C after her SP at her recent JGP even, she also has the princess pout down! Ha ha! I'm just teasing, I just love her!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's my ranking, 1st to 6th:
1. Peggy Fleming (she invented the modern ice princess)
2. Dorothy Hamill (America's sweetheart)
3. Janet Lynn (angel on ice)
4. Michelle Kwan (in her younger years, before she became the Kween)
5. Sasha Cohen (she is the bad girl princess)
6. Alissa Czisny (perfection in look and manner)

I think only American skaters can be "ice princesses." :)

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Here's my ranking, 1st to 6th:
1. Peggy Fleming (she invented the modern ice princess)
2. Dorothy Hamill (America's sweetheart)
3. Janet Lynn (angel on ice)
4. Michelle Kwan (in her younger years, before she became the Kween)
5. Sasha Cohen (she is the bad girl princess)
6. Alissa Czisny (perfection in look and manner)

I think only American skaters can be "ice princesses." :)

I like your descriptions. I have a hard time seeing Kwan as a princess because I only see her as a queen (The Kween).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not so much, actually. Emily Hughes should have won. Emily won the long program and lost to Kimmie overall by less than a point, Kimmie having been held up slightly in the short program (being world champion and all).

Wow, I had forgotten it was that close...

Yes, I remember the SP being controversial. I think the issue was that Meissner was given full credit for a 3-3 that was actually slightly UR? Definitely got the BOTD regardless though.

Also, in 2010 I still think Nagasu should have won instead of Flatt, but that's further OT.

As for princess - T. Harding should be the 0 in my opinion, not Bonaly.