Rank the princesses of the sport | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Rank the princesses of the sport

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner? She's the least princessy American skater, I'd rate her abot 3/10 (Thank God). Now, Polina is a different matter.

If you asked me about Wagner 5 years ago, I would have said 2. After Sochi, perhaps 3. Now? Around 4.5 or so. (See the pattern? ;) )

Edmunds would probably rank similarly, I'd have her in the 4-5 range.

Gold, I'd say 8ish, with the possibility of dipping to 7.5 by season's end. Would have been just about 10 at the time of Sochi though...

Also, in 2010 I still think Nagasu should have won instead of Flatt, but that's further OT.

Even further OT. :) Mirai was certainly the fan favorite. Rachael won only because Mirai was dinged for some imaginary URs. (She turned the tables on Rachael at the Olympics, where it was Rachael's turn to be hit with phantom URs.)

My theory about why the judges scored Rachael so high at 2010 U.S. Nationals was to make up for having held her down at 2008 U.S. Nationals (there was less than a 2-point difference between 1st and 3rd; Rachael won the Free Skate) and at 2009 Nationals (where Alissa was clearly the judges' favorite despite a disastrous free skate).

mrrice

Record Breaker
After her strong showing at the Olympics, I think the judges were ready to give Mirai the title in 2011. I was at those Nationals and Mirai was certainly very popular with the audience but, Alissa had just won the Grand Prix Final and had all the momentum going into the event. Mirai was the leader going into the free and had she skated a better LP, she would have beaten Rachael who was in 3rd place going into the free program.

noidont

Final Flight
Gracie isn't a princess. She is Miss America Congeniality. I think Liza Nugumanova has great potential to be princessy until she is 20.
I haven't seen much of her competing but Tessa Hong acted very HRH last year on the jgp. I liked it. Most North American ladies competing now look like they listen to Taylor Swift all day.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gracie isn't a princess. She is Miss America Congeniality.

I agree with you that Gracie isn't a princess, but they package her to be one. And she's skating like one which doesn't seem authentic. I find the whole thing to be awkward. Her presentation is not who she is.
princessy is only bad when you're put into the princess box and it doesn't fit you. If you are naturally princessy, no one will complain.
Marin Honda skates to princess programs, great.
Tonya Harding pretends to be Odette? No no no. If the box doesn't fit, don't let other people put you in it.

Frankly, something like Star Wars would fit Gracie more.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree with you that Gracie isn't a princess, but they package her to be one. And she's skating like one which doesn't seem authentic. I find the whole thing to be awkward. Her presentation is not who she is.
princessy is only bad when you're put into the princess box and it doesn't fit you. If you are naturally princessy, no one will complain.
Tonya Harding pretends to be Odette? No no no. If the box doesn't fit, don't let other people put you in it.

I agree. I think Gracie would be better as Xena. The Warrior Princess. She does not appear to be a delicate flower and I'd like to see her doing something more with her SP. Do we know what her plan is for her Free Program? Her SP is basically a repeat of last year. Even with a change of music, it looks and feels like the same program from last year.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker

Yes, this is one of the music pieces I've suggested for Gracie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbSPh-K2EM

bosskil

Match Penalty
Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Surya, a 0? wow ;) just the dresses get her to at least 5 :)

The only reason for Surya's princess ranking to be a 0 is because she's no princess -- she's a freaking QUEEN. :love: ;)

And in terms of princesses on ice, my top 3 would have to be Jenny Kirk, Oksana Baiul, and Gracie Gold.

Last edited: