Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
What is the correct translation? My 9th grade compulsory French education is failing me. :laugh: Is it "will I tell you mom?"

You have be over 40 to remember this song. It was kind of popular in the 70's. It's not a pop song even though it did "Cross Over" to the pop charts. It started as a Folk Song and was very popular with Choirs and was part of our "Up With People" show in the late seventies. It's called "Eres Tu" By Mocedades . The lead singer looks like she could Sylvia Fontana's Mother https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3BIX0duKs

We Obviously, sang the English Version: "Touch The Wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbJn-ycV-N8

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ah mom what would i tell you... and then we would need to read the rest of the song to spice things up ;) but the verb is conditional, so who knows what the kid is NOT saying ;)

you can read the whole text here... it's sweet ;) not spicy ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ah!_vous_dirai-je,_maman

Haha, yes, seems innocent to me.

You have be over 40 to remember this song. It was kind of popular in the 70's. It's not a pop song even though it did "Cross Over" to the pop charts. It started as a Folk Song and was very popular with Choirs and was part of our "Up With People" show in the late seventies. It's called "Eres Tu" By Mocedades . The lead singer looks like she could Sylvia Fontana's Mother https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3BIX0duKs

You guys are dating yourselves. :laugh: I'm 32, so nope, doesn't ring a bell.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
at first, i read dating myself as self dating... which a lot of us (gay men) do :) muahaha... but then i realized Sarah meant aging ourselves :)
KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! I shouldn't laugh but that was...:laugh2:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! I shouldn't laugh but that was...:laugh2:

at first, i read dating myself as self dating... which a lot of us (gay men) do :) muahaha... but then i realized Sarah meant aging ourselves :)

You guys are maniacs! LOL. I seem to have a knack for derailing topics without even trying. :laugh:

And yes, I meant in terms of age, not being in a relationship with yourselves. Hahah, what a concept. Maybe there's less baggage that way?

LRK

Record Breaker
You guys are maniacs! LOL. I seem to have a knack for derailing topics without even trying. :laugh:

And yes, I meant in terms of age, not being in a relationship with yourselves. Hahah, what a concept. Maybe there's less baggage that way?

Well, "To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance"... or so Oscar Wilde said.:)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

We Obviously, sang the English Version: "Touch The Wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbJn-ycV-N8

Oh my gosh -- acid flashback! I was teaching Spanish at the time and we used to sing this in my classes! Thx for the fun memory!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh my gosh -- acid flashback! I was teaching Spanish at the time and we used to sing this in my classes! Thx for the fun memory!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU!! :bow: I knew I wasn't crazy when I said that "Eres Tu" was a real song and that it became a cross over hit on the radio here in the US.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU!! :bow: I knew I wasn't crazy when I said that "Eres Tu" was a real song and that it became a cross over hit on the radio here in the US.

Oh yes - it was really the IT song for awhile...You're such a treasure trove of songs, I'm still laughing (weeks later) about that skater you posted singing the off-key karaoke. Can't even remember who it was, but it was so bad it was good! :laugh2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh yes - it was really the IT song for awhile...You're such a treasure trove of songs, I'm still laughing (weeks later) about that skater you posted singing the off-key karaoke. Can't even remember who it was, but it was so bad it was good! :laugh2:

That would be the Great Skating, Good Looking, Good Dancing, Eman Sandhu from Canada. He should have stopped while he was ahead. Here's his singing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbLn-PHjSSc

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would be the Great Skating, Good Looking, Good Dancing, Eman Sandhu from Canada. He should have stopped while he was ahead. Here's his singing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbLn-PHjSSc

:clap::rofl::dance2: OMG - I have to bookmark this so I can keep coming back to it whenever I'm havin a bad day. And he has that "Why am I so good?" look. Whew -- keep your day job Eman. Brutal!

I really like this! :yahoo:

But.....

What exactly is the deal with those pants she is wearing? It's like tights with a skirt flap thingy? Never seen anyone wearing anything like that before.

I thought it was just pants with an extra baggy crotch. We will probably all be wearing it after Labor Day.

Tutto

Record Breaker
What do they consider Pop? Does that mean music with lyrics? Music from a certain era?

Because pop definitions are pretty fluid imho, and, in many cases, quite ambiguous =) I'm actually curious how the topic starter would define pop more specifically, not as in "music i don't like".

It seems like a rather useless classification just to say that "pop music" means "anything that is not classical music." Mary had a little lamb would classify as "pop" under that definition, as would "whale songs."

"Pop" is just an abbreviation for "popular." Opera was the pop music of bygone times and places.

There are so many definitions. Some think that pop=popular music, some that pop is a genre of popular music, some view pop as a commercial music and so on… I thought that for the purpose of this thread we can simplify things and define pop by its characteristics.
So you know you hear a pop song when:

1) The tune is simple & catchy
2) The lyrics are equally uncomplicated and rarely go beyond the vocabulary of a 5 year old
3) You really like it the first time but feel more & more irritated at further exposure
4) It sticks to your brain like a smell of a cheap perfume
5) You reach a mute button when yet another skater starts his/her routine to [….] [insert the name] whatever happens to be in ‘fashion’ with skaters that season

You are welcome to extend the list…:)

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
There are so many definitions. Some think that pop=popular music, some that pop is a genre of popular music, some view pop as a commercial music and so on… I thought that for the purpose of this thread we can simplify things and define pop by its characteristics.
So you know you hear a pop song when:

1) The tune is simple & catchy
2) The lyrics are equally uncomplicated and rarely go beyond the vocabulary of a 5 year old
3) You really like it the first time but feel more & more irritated at further exposure
4) It sticks to your brain like a smell of a cheap perfume
5) You reach a mute button when yet another skater starts his/her routine to [….] [insert the name] whatever happens to be in ‘fashion’ with skaters that season

You are welcome to extend the list…:)

1) You just managed to make sound catchiness like a bad thing...

2) I teach ESL for living and do you know how easy it is to find a pop song that could be used for teaching below intermediate level? Very hard. The ones I use are almost all actually rock songs because pop ones are too difficult.

3). Actually, with pop for 99% percent of people (including myself who was brainwashed to like some of Katy Perry) it's the reverse: at first people don't like it or are meh about it but the more they listen to it the more they like it. That's why massive radioplay results in good sales of a song.

4.) The pieces that are the most stuck to my brain like cheap perfume are fragments of Carmen and Hall of the Mountin King. Always have been, perhaps because of their ubiquity. (Hey, if popularity is a qualifier, they'd qualify for pop!) Oh, and Dance Macabre ever since I heard it the first time on Smurfs when I was 10.

5). The only time that happened it was on a musical. Never felt the need on a pop song.

I guess that list's wrong from the start so no point expanding.

Last edited: