2015 Worlds Men Free Skate March 28 | Page 91 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Men Free Skate March 28

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just finished watching the Men's free on BESP. The Top 3 were so far ahead of the rest of the field, what other skaters out there are capable of bridging the gap? Beyond Nguyen, I can't name to many? Possibly an on form Farris or Kovtun?

Delighted for Javi and Spain, I wouldn't say it was an amazing or outstanding performance but definitely the deserved winner. I wasn't particularly impressed with his spins, I thought they looked messy/scrappy but they all got Level 4's with +GOE's. Hanyu came up a little short but took his defeat well, the quads were they but everything else looked pretty good, I'm not a fan of his costumes, he really needs to look at them.

D10 is an odd performer, when he is on form he is hard to beat but it seems to happen so rarely, I really liked both his performances here. He has developed a knack for delivering at the right time. Nguyen had a great performance, he is a real show man, his jumps were on today. Is he a future world champion? I liked Jason Browns performance but will he reach a worlds podium? He doesn't have a quad and 3A is inconsistent but his other elements are up there with the best.

A good performance from Kovtun, to bounce back from a very poor short, I didn't particularly care for it. Very disappointing from Voronov, I didn't expect a medal but I at least expected a top 5, he won't get many more chances. Disappointing again from Brezina, he is more miss than hit.

My favourite performance was Misha Ge, not the strongest TES but a great all round performance. He really has come on in leaps and bounds, hard work does pay off. I wonder will Uzbekistan fill their two spots next year?

whatif

Medalist
Just finished watching the Men's free on BESP. The Top 3 were so far ahead of the rest of the field, what other skaters out there are capable of bridging the gap? Beyond Nguyen, I can't name to many? Possibly an on form Farris or Kovtun?

Shoma.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Javi, the 2015 World Champion! For years he's had the technical ability, had the scoring potential, had everything it takes to be king... but always fell short on delivery. After Europeans, I thought it was going to be another case of that... but he did it! :shocked: So well deserved--he was the best across two programs, despite one silly fall in the LP (still three quads between two programs). Ten years ago, would any of us have predicted that a Spanish man would become three-time European champion and world champion? :)

Great judging on the night. Denis deservedly won the LP, but was too far back after the SP to move up. I used to find his LP to be more about that footwork at the end than anything else, but watching it again, I've noticed some really nice nuances and slow moments throughout.

Mad props to Yuzuru for fighting through that, after all he's been through. Mistakes on the quads, but he did not let go of the easier triples he could do. His skating is very smooth, and when perfect he's a better performer than either Denis or Javi. It just wasn't there at this particular event.

Happy for Jason, Nam, Misha, Adam (who did enough to be 7th, imo). Crushed for Han Yan, Josh, Sergei, Michal, and Japan's spots.

SkateSkates

Medalist
This has already been said but I really enjoyed Jason's program with his new costume. It accentuates his lines and flexibility much better than the old costume did. A great performance here from him - I actually wouldn't mind him keeping his long for next season if he is thinking of incorporating the quad into his programs.

Hanyu and Fernandez are such classy training partners. I really hope the environment up at the Cricket Club remains healthy because I do think Hanyu, Fernandez, and Nguyen really benefit from training with one another.

Happy to see Adam and Josh pull themselves up somewhat, even though they skated nowhere near their potential. Hopefully this gives them confidence looking towards the future.

Unfortunately, it seemed like Denis and Josh peaked at 4CC. If they had skated their 4CC programs here we may have had a different champion and 4th place finisher. That being said, neither imploded like they did earlier this season.

So sad that Japan lost that 3rd spot but I have no doubt they will get it back next year. Machida's retirement really messed up the world team assignment - not that Taka 1 or Taka 2 didn't deserve to be on the team, but Machida was at least guaranteed a top 5 finish if he skated decently.

Great sportsmanship from all the skaters, and great judging, in my opinion. Some of the PCS might have been a little fishy, but everyone ended up in the right placement so it's not too concerning.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Morning-after reflections: I'm so proud of Brendan. This might seem like a strange comment to make since he popped the 4S and stepped out of a few other jumps, but after the S, he didn't pop anything else, and fought through to the end. A step in the right direction for him, and I'm so proud.

rain

Record Breaker
Nam came 5th? Holy crap! I was expecting 10th at best. He's improving at an alarming rate.

Alarming, lol?

I hope Nam will be working all summer on his speed and power. It's the only thing that keeps him out of the very top tier. I fully expect him to add the quad to his short regularly next season. He can certainly do the quad. Fourth in the FS at your very first senior worlds sure isn't chopped liver. I see a bright future ahead.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Nam came 5th? Holy crap! I was expecting 10th at best. He's improving at an alarming rate.

It's more like some skaters you'd expect to do well are bombing at an alarming rate... Han Yan, Kovtun, Mura/Kozuka... Next season Shoma Uno and Boyang Jin are joining the circuit so it'll be interesting to see how the top 10 will look then, whether Han Yan and Kovtun will let themselves be pushed down the expected ranks.

Last edited:

kresslia

Medalist
Alarming, lol?

I hope Nam will be working all summer on his speed and power. It's the only thing that keeps him out of the very top tier. I fully expect him to add the quad to his short regularly next season. He can certainly do the quad. Fourth in the FS at your very first senior worlds sure isn't chopped liver. I see a bright future ahead.
Not sure what's wrong with saying alarming.

^ Ain't Nam's fault if others can't keep up the consistency. He can, and that consistency allows him to place well at almost every competition he's entered this season (except 4CC).

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What a great podium. Javier pulled it out when it counted. Finally.
And Denis for the bronze? He is showing he's not a one hit wonder.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Delighted for Javi and Spain, I wouldn't say it was an amazing or outstanding performance but definitely the deserved winner. I wasn't particularly impressed with his spins, I thought they looked messy/scrappy but they all got Level 4's with +GOE's. Hanyu came up a little short but took his defeat well, the quads were they but everything else looked pretty good, I'm not a fan of his costumes, he really needs to look at them.

D10 is an odd performer, when he is on form he is hard to beat but it seems to happen so rarely, I really liked both his performances here. He has developed a knack for delivering at the right time. Nguyen had a great performance, he is a real show man, his jumps were on today. Is he a future world champion? I liked Jason Browns performance but will he reach a worlds podium? He doesn't have a quad and 3A is inconsistent but his other elements are up there with the best.

A good performance from Kovtun, to bounce back from a very poor short, I didn't particularly care for it. Very disappointing from Voronov, I didn't expect a medal but I at least expected a top 5, he won't get many more chances. Disappointing again from Brezina, he is more miss than hit.

My favourite performance was Misha Ge, not the strongest TES but a great all round performance. He really has come on in leaps and bounds, hard work does pay off. I wonder will Uzbekistan fill their two spots next year?

Voronov is dealing with a chronic knee injury, he had to get injections after the SP. He has some of the worst luck ever.

After getting some rest I was afraid to look back at this thread, but thankfully people seem to be much kinder to the men than they are to the ladies (so far...). The question is for how long? I'll try to focus on the positive...Misha Ge and Nam really killed it in this competition, and I was pleasantly surprised with Florent and Adam's placements. Good for Kovtun for fighting back, even if he has a long way to go. Most importantly, I am 100% fine and happy with the podium.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Voronov is dealing with a chronic knee injury, he had to get injections after the SP. He has some of the worst luck ever.

Ouch, I didn't know that. I should have asked myself whether he was injured, though, because he's been very consistent this season and popping those jumps was so unlike him. Gosh. I feel terribly for him.

What about Han Yan, though? I actually did ask myself whether he was injured after his second fall. Injuries or cracking under pressure?

So the only skaters who didn't have any crazy jumps up and down the rankings were Javier, Denis, Yuzuru, Jason, and Misha Ge. Hm.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist

I like that kind of alarm!

Maybe it's all the 5 alarm spice :biggrin:

(Oh, and he actually came 4th in the FS, and edged out Yuzu on TES) :dance:

treeloving

Medalist
D10 has the worst luck. Robbed of Gold by Chan, now robbed for silver by Hanyu. But he needs to start delivering in both segments and maybe one day. Judges seem to really want to give it to him now. Hopefully it happens in Korea in 2018.

So Russia has 1 spot next year?

Dennis made four mistakes....

peg

Medalist
Alarming, lol?

I find that he has already been improving speed and his spins throughout the season. He was soooo slow at Skate America and CoC, but here his speed was decent, though not at the level of the top skaters. I think we can definitely expect a quad in the short next year, and I would also guess a second quad in the FS.

But this was actually his second senior Worlds. He was 12th last year ;)