"Guilty Pleasure" Programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

"Guilty Pleasure" Programs

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
My "guilty pleasure" programs aren't necessarily bad, just not very popular? I love V/M's Pink Floyd FD (2008/2009, though I'm not positive), and Johnny Weir's 2010 Olympic SP.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It was the only way they could get away with doing a 3A in the short back then, other than a 3A+3T. They had to do a double axle specifically. The solo jump had to no be a 3A (at the time it might have been required as a double jump.... or maybe just non axel... this part would take more research, but I know the solo jump was not allowed to be a 3A) That left the combination as the only place to put it.
Yes I know, but even Midori Ito chose to do a 3Lz-2T in the SP (by the way, Ito fell on the 3Lz and achieved to do the 2T after the fall, so the combo counted, impressive). And Harding wasn't in top form, she should have done a 3Lz-2T. But that was her way, she always wanted to be much better than the rest. I guess she wasn't the brightest bulb in the box.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yes I know, but even Midori Ito chose to do a 3Lz-2T in the SP (by the way, Ito fell on the 3Lz and achieved to do the 2T after the fall, so the combo counted, impressive). And Harding wasn't in top form, she should have done a 3Lz-2T. But that was her way, she always wanted to be much better than the rest. I guess she wasn't the brightest bulb in the box.

Or she had a family that told her she sucked if she got anything less than gold. If no one ever tells you "Good Job" when you win silver, why would you ever think silver was any good and not go for broke?

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I love G/Platov

exhibition number I will always love you and especially their You'll see .Diva Pasha at her best!

I also like B/K Cell block Tango OD!

BlackPack

Medalist
Or she had a family that told her she sucked if she got anything less than gold. If no one ever tells you "Good Job" when you win silver, why would you ever think silver was any good and not go for broke?

Early 90s was a very challenging time for ladies singles. In 88 a couple of triples would have won the Olympics. By 1992, 3-3s and 3axels as well as grace and elegance were required. Harding wasn't considered a complete skater, frequently ranked behind Kristi and even Nancy. I think she only beat Kristi when she had her 3axel.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I really like Aleksandr Abt (Is that really how it's spelled?) and he really skated this program well but, I hated his costume as much as the Techno Music he used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRJm3kIkPU

Plus....Look how Good Raph looks sitting next him....:love:

What? I think the costume worn by Alexander Abt was the best of the all top skaters at SLC (or at least my favorite, even topped over Yagudin's Winter costume) and still very chic to these days. The music is of ethnic Armenian with a little bit of contemporary arranges, so I don't think it can be called a techno music. I also really loved the enigmatic sound from the music.

Last edited:

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Definitely Radionova's Titanic LP. It's so bad its good. It's the Showgirls of figure skating programs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I should also add Tatiana Malinina's Aladdin program. Hah, the kiddiest Disney music, coupled with the strongest jumping.

She was always my favourite... "Really?! Noo... unbelievable... noo... you're sure?! Oh my god, I don't have second program!!!" :love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUA51ukhuU#t=7m30s

OH KABOOM!!!! I totally remember that....She was so cute. Isn't that the event where she fell HARD on her opening lutz?

mrrice

Record Breaker
What? I think the costume worn by Alexander Abt was the best of the all top skaters at SLC (or at least my favorite, even topped over Yagudin's Winter costume) and still very chic to these days. The music is of ethnic Armenian with a little bit of contemporary arranges, so I don't think it can be called a techno music. I also really loved the enigmatic sound from the music.

As sad as this may sound......I was so distracted by how good looking they BOTH were when I saw them. Alex was not in his costume and I think he and Raph were getting coffee or tea when I saw them. It can be very shocking to turn a corner and see people that you're used to seeing on TV. Especially skaters since they're usually so much smaller in person. I had never seen Alex before and though I'd seen Raph from far away, I didn't know who he was.

Now, this was during my Maria B. obsession so, I hardly paid attention to any other skater at that time. Unless you count the Russian Hockey Players from St Petersburg....:love:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Definitely Radionova's Titanic LP. It's so bad its good. It's the Showgirls of figure skating programs.

Showgirls! It's the basterd spawn of Valley of the Dolls and Oh! Calcutta.

Big big camp swoon. (We really need a swoon icon!)

:bow:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Zhiganshin and Gazsi FOR LIFE. I literally love everything they ever did but especially this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgoG_v34kDA

They didn't have the technical goods (especially him) but for pure sheer enjoyment they are one of my top 10 or maybe even top 5 favorite teams of all time.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Early 90s was a very challenging time for ladies singles. In 88 a couple of triples would have won the Olympics. By 1992, 3-3s and 3axels as well as grace and elegance were required. Harding wasn't considered a complete skater, frequently ranked behind Kristi and even Nancy. I think she only beat Kristi when she had her 3axel.

Tonya very rarely lost to Nancy and rightly so. 1989 Nancy wasn't even on the podium. Jill, Kristi, and Tonya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFdoiXH3cgc

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Zhiganshin and Gazsi FOR LIFE. I literally love everything they ever did but especially this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgoG_v34kDA

They didn't have the technical goods (especially him) but for pure sheer enjoyment they are one of my top 10 or maybe even top 5 favorite teams of all time.

I don't know if you could really consider that a guilty pleasure--it has good music choices, appropriate costumes and wonderful choreography. To me a guilty pleasure is something you know is objectively bad--whether it be music choice, choreography, costuming or performance (and as a devoted camp follower you pray for all four in one completely awful package!)--but you love it anyway.

For instance, I once saw a cheapo local production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. It looked like they had a budget of about $1.98--terrible costumes, make up and sets. It's an exceedingly dated and mediocre show. The male lead gave new meaning to the word "flat" whenever he sang. And during one of the elevator scenes, the cardboard elevator actually fell over! And the actors were all deer-in-headlights. I loved every single awful second of it. Now THAT is a guilty pleasure!

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
To me a guilty pleasure is something you know is objectively bad--whether it be music choice, choreography, costuming or performance (and as a devoted camp follower you pray for all four in one completely awful package!)--but you love it anyway.
I think this OD by Domnina/Shabalin fits the criteria for guilty pleasure if I were liking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9K2YmS0Km8

BlackPack

Medalist
Tonya very rarely lost to Nancy and rightly so. 1989 Nancy wasn't even on the podium. Jill, Kristi, and Tonya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFdoiXH3cgc

After 1989, Nancy (1989-93 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st) began to beat Tonya (1989-93 7th, 1st, 3rd, 4th) in US Nationals.

Please check your facts.

Tonya peaked in 1990-91 Nationals Worlds and never regained that status again, while Nancy steadily rose through the ranks and almost won Olympic gold.

mrrice

Record Breaker
After 1989, Nancy (1989-93 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st) began to beat Tonya (1989-93 7th, 1st, 3rd, 4th) in US Nationals.

Please check your facts.

Tonya peaked in 1990-91 Nationals Worlds and never regained that status again, while Nancy steadily rose through the ranks and almost won Olympic gold.

I have nothing against Nancy. However, I just wasn't a fan of her skating. Believe it or not, I actually met Nancy in West Hollywood Ca. after she had turned pro and she was very nice and quite beautiful. A bit like Jennifer Robinson of Canada. Dark hair and very blues eyes.