2016-17 GPF Mens SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Mens SP

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'd have Hanyu at about 105, Chan at 100 even, Javier at 89, Shoma/Chen/Rippon interchangeably tied at 85-ish.

Yeah..maybe I'm lowballing Hanyu a bit. He did perform the heck out of that program. I think you have to give Shoma and Chen a higher score than Rippon because of the BV. But then Shoma missed his combo. My head hurts. What really matters to me? I agree with the placements in the short.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yeah, but he was consistent on the Grand Prix unlike those two skaters and all others who didn't make the GPF. I agree Jin would have been more interesting and actually challenge the top guys potentially, but Adam earned his spot. And he adds a performance/entertainment quality to the SP that distinguishes himself from the other skaters.

I will say, this is probably the most diverse set of short programs I've ever seen at a Grand Prix final.

Sergei was consistent at this GP season.

The bronze at trophee de france was totally deserved, while at skate america they helped him and Jason Brown a lot.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Okay, thanks for clarifying. And I totally agree with the rest of your post. I wouldn't have had it much higher than NHK (although he was better here IMO, performance-wise), and the judges were ridiculous with Javi's scores so they were kinda forced to put the component scores that high. Ironically, Chan was underscored, getting less than what he got at Worlds last year when he fell on his 3A. Surprised Chan didn't get any 10's here even though that was definitely his best skate since TEB 2013 and arguably his best ever (I don't think a lean forward on his 4T exactly precludes him from 10's, considering how Hanyu had a lean in the air and severely leaning forward on the landing his 4L and was given 10's).

I was surprised Patrick got no 10's either, I actually expected that. IMO, I wouldn't have given anyone a 10 here - Yuzu and Patrick are in the high 9's, and for what they did today, Javi and Shoma arguably shouldn't have gotten 9's or high 8's at all. And while I also don't think Yuzu's 4Lo should have gotten 0's, it's sadly in line with the overall scoring... tbh, I think it's still more justifiably than Javi not getting straight -3's on the 3A (his 4S got mostly -2's too).

As a Yuzu fan though, I didn't mind the 4Lo mistake. Yes, it should have gotten negative GOE from all judges and disrupted the flow of the program (so I'm really not trying to argue it should have scored well), but I really loved his smile afterwards :luv17: Yuzu looks and sounds a lot more relaxed in competition than he did before. His problem was often that he wanted it too much (Oly 2014, WC 2016), but maybe he really is learning in that regard. That makes me happier than him landing the 4Lo itself or not :luv17:

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
And while I also don't think Yuzu's 4Lo should have gotten 0's, it's sadly in lien with the overall scoring... tbh, I think it's still more justifiably than Javi not getting straight -3's on the 3A (his 4S got mostly -2's too).

This is my problem with those GOEs. It's not that some judges gave him -2GOE for the 4Lo, it is that compared to Javier's scores on those two, where he got -2s it is just :confused: If you give Javier -2, then Yuzuru's has to go up.

qwertyskates

Medalist
The judging :scratch2:

I hope the "inflation" chatter will get its final nail in the coffin.:unsure:

Love Yuzu's enthusiasm and energy, but Patrick's was the best skate in my book tonight, though this isn't my favourite SP of his.

And yes, Jin Boyang would have delivered better quads than anyone (save Patrick) tonight. Thank you judges, for making him miss JPF by 1 pt. I normally like Rippon but this is one of the tackiest programs I[ve seen.:disapp: And let's not even talk about Shoma's scores for crossovers and falls....or Nathan's wonky combos, falls, etc scoring higher than a clean Boyang.

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Well, Javi 'relied' on this for a while - like with his kookier numbers like Chaplin, any stumbles or whatever were treated as simply "interpretation". :laugh:

I'm pretty sure Javi still has a long way to go to match Chan and Hanyu in the "winning after falling 5 times department". I dare say even with your incessant whining on Javi's score you would still put him at third place. I'm thinking its about time Javi has a controversial win coz I can't remember him ever stealing one unlike the professional highway robber Patrick Chan.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Order for the FS

1 Shoma UNO JPN
2 Adam RIPPON USA
3 Nathan CHEN USA
4 Yuzuru HANYU JPN
5 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP
6 Patrick CHAN CAN

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sergei was consistent at this GP season.

The bronze at trophee de france was totally deserved, while at skate america they helped him and Jason Brown a lot.

If you're referring to Adam being helped at Skate America, he was 16 points ahead of Voronov in the end. Voronov falling on his quad in the SP (to match Rippon's fall in the FS) was bad, but what sealed his 4th place finish was the tripled quad in the FS, giving up about 10 points. Adam had two SPs and a clean SP at TdF. His only error all season was a fall on his 4T at Skate America.

Voronov, however had two flawed SP (fall at SA, stepout at COC), and tripled a quad in both free skates (in the case of CoC resulting in a zayak 3T which in total was giving up about 14 points).

Adam played it safer for sure, but he did it cleanly. It's not the way I like to see skaters win, but it's a way to win and you have to give it up for him (especially landing that 4T at TdF which got him his place the GPF).

Interspectator

Record Breaker
At the press conference, Yuzu gave a nice shout-out to Alexei and Cha in the juniors. Cha "I have no advice to give him because he has all the skills" and Alexei "Did the first 4Lo in competition which gave me motivation to land my 4Lo"

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Javi still has a long way to go to match Chan and Hanyu in the "winning after falling 5 times department". I dare say even with your incessant whining on Javi's score you would still put him at third place. I'm thinking its about time Javi has a controversial win coz I can't remember him ever stealing one unlike the professional highway robber Patrick Chan.

:laugh: Javi did deserve 3rd place - after all, Shoma completely messed up his quad combo, Nathan messed up both jumping passes including a UR fall on his 4F, and Rippon didn't have one quad let alone two. I was "whining" about his PCS, which if you look at the thread, I'm not the only one outraged by it.

I wouldn't say Javi has had any controversial wins, but he has had controversial scores (like his SP at Worlds last year, or his SP here of course). His scores at CoR2013 were also outrageously high (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2013/gprus2013_Men_FS_Scores.pdf - five mistakes, including 2 falls -- even Orser in KnC outright said he's lucky to have been on the podium), and denied Menshov a spot on the podium (which would have been his first and only GP medal).

But of course, if you want to see the skating world burn by adding Javi to the list of controversial winners, then feel free. Seems like Mao's absence in the GPF is making you extra feisty. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
In general, perhaps Yuzu's 4Lo deserved lower GOE and I might hace expected some 10s in Patrick's PCS. But overall, I think the only scores which made me raise an eyebrow were Javi's and Shoma's PCS (I adore them both, but yeah, they were too high). I was so glad to see Patrick, Yuzuru and Adam perform so well, I hope they can carry it on to the FS. And that Shoma is not injured, Nationals is soon and he needs to be in a good shape (as much as his World team spot is guaranteed).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This is my problem with those GOEs. It's not that some judges gave him -2GOE for the 4Lo, it is that compared to Javier's scores on those two, where he got -2s it is just :confused: If you give Javier -2, then Yuzuru's has to go up.

Yeah, if you go through for the single judges, there is so much weird stuff going on... a lot of it does get kicked out because of taking the mean and all, but still.

And I think you said in it a previous post (it's just all happening too fast, I don't find it anymore :laugh: ) but yes, Yuzu seems to connect more to the audience and really, really pays attention to that :love: there are so many more moments were he looks directly at the audience, and not downwards - which is a common criticism of him. I'm such a proud fan right now :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think Shoma was injured (hopefully not)... I just think the very awkward 4T<< fall winded him/shook him up. Was a great recovery on the axel though!

What I love about men's skating is that it's not over till it's over. Shoma could very conceivably medal and even Javier was about as many points behind Hanyu as he was after the SP at Worlds last year, and we saw what happened there.

Hoping for another brilliant GPF FS like last year's men -- OMG, might have to go back and watch that... it was so epic! :love:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Hanyu's 4L wasn't just the sloppy scratchy/forwards landing, he was wayyy off axis in the air... it's quite miraculous that he was even able to land it given the lean on it. So -2 is completely justified even if Javier's had a worse landing on his 4S.

Of course, I'm sure some ubers are absolutely outraged that the 4L didn't receive +1s, so I guess there is that. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan's pc should be way higher than Hanyu

Not wayyy higher but about 1-1.5 points higher. Hanyu still had a good level of performance and was exciting to watch. Chan had lovely lines though. Chan should have definitely been ahead though - particularly in comparison to Javier who had skated just prior to him with bad errors.