2016-17 GPF Ladies FS | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies FS

Nocturne

On the Ice
I just think its sad that for some reason there has to be a chosen one according to the judges. You cannot convince me that when 4 Ladies present their program equally well, that 3 of them receive about the same PCS (69/70ish) and Evgenia was somehow 4 Points better in that regard while she had the most visble error! Why? How? It's complete nonsense. She does not portray it better than the others! She's good, but so were the others today.
I can understand the TES, but PCS is just mind blowing.

I have lost my interest in skating a bit. It's become rather boring when winners are predetermined now matter what. Same with gymnastics this past squad.
I should look for a sport like swimming where time says who won. Simple. But why do I only like judged sports? :(
*end of crying and complaining -.- *

kalee

On the Ice
This was a big boost for Masha and hope she carries more confidence into Nationals because of it.
She has been underscored all season and it's great to see that she can pull herself out of default #6 position (reputation-wise) by skating clean, and thus clearly beating Lena who was more mistake-ridden than usual. Sad for Lena of course, but she has grit and will come back...

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Omg, people, from where you have so much anger and hate? :no: Medvedeva is a clean winner of this GPF and didn't cheated nothing. For cheating please watch Miyahara's performances.

Omg, people, from where you have so much anger and hate? :no:

withwings

On the Ice
I just think its sad that for some reason there has to be a chosen one according to the judges. You cannot convince me that when 4 Ladies present their program equally well, that 3 of them receive about the same PCS (69/70ish) and Evgenia was somehow 4 Points better in that regard while she had the most visble error! Why? How? It's complete nonsense. She does not portray it better than the others! She's good, but so were the others today.
I can understand the TES, but PCS is just mind blowing.

I have lost my interest in skating a bit. It's become rather boring when winners are predetermined now matter what. Same with gymnastics this past squad.
I should look for a sport like swimming where time says who won. Simple. But why do I only like judged sports? :(
*end of crying and complaining -.- *

No, you did not lost your interest in figure skating! You lost hope. However it is, we cannot overcome darkness with darkness, we can overcome darkness only by becoming light. And there is a lot of hope there... Sometimes-if not most of the cases- the best wins! And there are many skaters who skate our of pure love of skating, not for the medals, too...

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Should be enough to pass Elena.

Looked like the last jump of the three jump combo was UR, but everything else looked clean - but I'm also really bad at this sort of thing.

Maria's earnestness and a genuine love of skating really come through, IMO. She doesn't seem like she's competing - there's no visible fight or grit to her (which isn't a good or a bad thing) that makes her very enjoyable.

Well written :) I also appreciate distinctive ballet quality that is getting somewhat rare, and she's very good at that methinks.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just had time to watch all the performances. Great competition. My favourite was Anna and Evgenia had a really strong skate after the error in the beginning. I actually really like her 3S, I think she could do a nice 1L-3S combo, I would like that. I hope that someone can really challenge her in the near future because I want her to do more. I want to see those triple loops in combination that she can do in competition. But overall her skating looks much better than last season imo and she's going to be hard to beat in any case. The program doesn't touch me at all but her interpretation is very good and that is something I can appreciate.

Regarding Satoko - I guess the tech panel was very lenient, probably too lenient but her UR's weren't so obvious in the FS (apart from the 3F) and she has certainly felt what was really going on. But she had a fine skate and there really is much to admire in her skating. All she needs is more power (or the ability to let go?).

And I like that this is going to keep Anna hungry, she's really improving constantly.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just had time to watch all the performances. Great competition. My favourite was Anna and Evgenia had a really strong skate after the error in the beginning. I actually really like her 3S, I think she could do a nice 1L-3S combo, I would like that. I hope that someone can really challenge her in the near future because I want her to do more. I want to see those triple loops in combination that she can do in competition. But overall her skating looks much better than last season imo and she's going to be hard to beat in any case. The program doesn't touch me at all but her interpretation is very good and that is something I can appreciate.

Regarding Satoko - I guess the tech panel was very lenient, probably too lenient but her UR's weren't so obvious in the FS (apart from the 3F) and she has certainly felt what was really going on. But she had a fine skate and there really is much to admire in her skating. All she needs is more power (or the ability to let go?).

And I like that this is going to keep Anna hungry, she's really improving constantly.

Me humbly thinks Med's 3S is potentially a 4S. :dunno:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
TAT suggested that might happen in the near future.

She did? Well, I heard TAT softened up her stance on Eteri recently and now she keeps saying how successful is Eteri's school is. TAT is obviously hardcore CSKA supporter, but she can't help not to notice how many new talents did Sambo-70'school produce in the last quad. Not just in figure skating, I remember seining bunch of Russia's gymnast girls (recent OG medalists) are from there too. TAT might know some inside. Can we hope miracle of Med's 4S gonna happen soon? TAT should know it earlier than any of us.

shine

Record Breaker
She showed a ray of pure, dramatic and poised perfection - this was probably her best FS performance ever, the unity between music, her skating, expression on her face, in her body was astonishing. I really love the way she emotes, interprets music, choreography - she's doing it in a very mature, sophisticated way, with this majestic carriage on ice, not being painfully literal or over-the-top. It's more of 'impressionist' kind of portraying he program: she's been given with music, choreography, costume, but on ice she creates something very unique, individual by using her expression, way of movement, innate drama flare she has, colouring the frame given with various shades. There were oments more lyric, reflective alongside very dramatic and sensual ones, this program - so fabulously executed - really shows her range and versatility.

Her presentation never felt so strong and profound for me, maybe only SP at Boston Worlds can be close - it could be due to powerful jumps, fast, musical spins/steps or both, mixing it with such strong interpretation.
:thumbsup: Totally agreed. This is the first time I've seen her this season and wow, has she matured into a beautiful skater. Love her power, edging, musicality and posture. Her FS is beautiful and she's an artist in the making.

I think she's a much better skater than Medeveda. Basic skating aside, Med's presentation is pretentious, immature, repeitive, and robotic.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Medvedeva is a clean winner of this GPF and didn't cheated nothing.

Her 3Sal+3Toe was cheated, more than a 1/4 turn, it's super obvious. Watch where her toepick leaves the ice and where she lands - she is in the air barely more than 2 rotations. There are plenty of high-definition videos out there and you can even see the mark on the ice on video. Her 3Flip+3Toe is cheated too, if you want to be strict about it, looking at the moment her toepick begins to touch the ice on the ice from the point that she spins around on her toepick during the takeoff. Look at the landings for further documentation. Usually landings flow out a half-turn on the landing. If you trace back from the point of where the outflow of her landings end, you'll see that it's not as much flow out as would be expected.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Me humbly thinks Med's 3S is potentially a 4S. :dunno:

She said few times (i think even here at GPF) that she tried the 4S in the off-season but it's still not making her own jump.

I don't think she will include the quad until it will be a standard in ladies figure skating, maybe she will try it in the warmup or at exhibitions just for fun.

She did? Well, I heard TAT softened up her stance on Eteri recently and now she keeps saying how successful is Eteri's school is. TAT is obviously hardcore CSKA supporter, but she can't help not to notice how many new talents did Sambo-70'school produce in the last quad. Not just in figure skating, I remember seining bunch of Russia's gymnast girls (recent OG medalists) are from there too. TAT might know some inside. Can we hope miracle of Med's 4S gonna happen soon? TAT should know it earlier than any of us.

When she's talking about Eteri's students she looks so upset that Eteri and her team at Sambo70 are much more successful than her friend Buyanova and CSKA. I also think she is also upset by the fact that there was a time in the past where a lot of these new russian wonderkids came from various region of Russia to be trained at CSKA in Moscow, and now since Eteri is so popular in Russia, those kids go to Sambo70 instead.

elif

Medalist
Regarding Evgenias program, I know it has been talked to death already, but what really irks me is how did her team think this was a good idea? No matter where you are yourself on the 'this is fine' to 'this is offensive and disgusting' range, wasn't it crytsal clear with that topic + execution (VO in the steps) that there would be a lot of people saying the latter? Even if you think they're just being over sensitive, wasn't it 100% foreseeable it would be there? So why are you giving this to a sweet 17-year old girl to execute? I've talked to non FS fans about this, just saying that it's there and roughly explaining the program... and every reaction ever was 'well, why?', or 'wow, stupid'. And that's exactly what it is... a god dang stupid decision by her coaching team. And stupidity irks me.

If you ask like that ''Can you believe they used 9/11 for a stupid figure skating program?. For peoples enjoyment?'' Yeah that is rude. If you ask like that ''A figure skater used 9/11 attacks for make more attention to terrorism, be more aware for peoples?'' Yeah that is making world better place. How you ask a question is very important.

This is very ironic: 10 December 2016 while I watching GPF, there was big bombings in my country: Beşiktaş,İstanbul,Turkey. More than 40 people died. I heared bombs from my home (5 km away from attacks) but didn't thought as attack until gun shots. I live in city there is so much target (airport bombed couple of months early) Evgenia's programs never bothered me maybe because I didn't forget terror attacks ever. Terrorism is bad, it bothers peoples very much. I can understand If they don't want to see this on their free time, on TV or in skating arena. I'm living in so... Lipnitskaia's program is more different, based on oscar winning movie, success story for all world. While watching you can be proud of all those peoples in 1945s for fighting/winning. Evgenia's much more darker, there is no end yet, successful or not. You would not thought happy things, you cannot be proud. This can be seem to much for some peoples. But I strongly disagree reducing art/feelings/ideas to ''don't bother peoples, please'' level. What Evgenia doing is very demoralizing, making you think particular problem while we all want to forget problem forever. But she have to do as artist.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If you ask like that ''Can you believe they used 9/11 for a stupid figure skating program?. For peoples enjoyment?'' Yeah that is rude. If you ask like that ''A figure skater used 9/11 attacks for make more attention to terrorism, be more aware for peoples?'' Yeah that is making world better place. How you ask a question is very important.

This is very ironic: 10 December 2016 while I watching GPF, there was big bombings in my country: Beşiktaş,İstanbul,Turkey. More than 40 people died. I heared bombs from my home (5 km away from attacks) but didn't thought as attack until gun shots. I live in city there is so much target (airport bombed couple of months early) Evgenia's programs never bothered me maybe because I didn't forget terror attacks ever. Terrorism is bad, it bothers peoples very much. I can understand If they don't want to see this on their free time, on TV or in skating arena. I'm living in so... Lipnitskaia's program is more different, based on oscar winning movie, success story for all world. While watching you can be proud of all those peoples in 1945s for fighting/winning. Evgenia's much more darker, there is no end yet, successful or not. You would not thought happy things, you cannot be proud. This can be seem to much for some peoples. But I strongly disagree reducing art/feelings/ideas to ''don't bother peoples, please'' level. What Evgenia doing is very demoralizing, making you think particular problem while we all want to forget problem forever. But she have to do as artist.

Can I just say, irregardless of FS, I hope you and all your friends and family are safe and that things improve for everyone in the new year?

I'm not a big fan of VO and sound effects in Med. program. I'm anti VOs and would like them banned. I think the VOs cheapen the message. Med can convey what the movie the music is from easily without the bells and whistles. It's a program about a young man going through the chaos and horror of a terrorist attack and then finding out that his own parent died. That is, sadly, kind of a universal plot line. It could happen anywhere and the emotions can be portrayed without all the unnecessary drama of George Bush and ambulances and screaming. So that's my stance. Fine with the program itself, not fine with the VO and sound effects. And I like evgenia. It's nice to see someone put their heart out there and she is remarkable in her consistency.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

What I told people was: "you know, one young girl is doing a program this year that is supposed to be a tribute to 9/11 or handle terrorist attacks as a topic. However, there is a part where they use voice overs from actual news about 9/11, sirens and you can even hear people scream - as in actual people being there - if you listen close enough. What do you think of that?". I'd think that was pretty neutral? I'd also say all the people who reacted here and didn't like it weren't actually influenced by what/how I said stuff.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope you and your family & friends are save, and that this will become better. In regards to FS again - I'm not bothered by a program about terrorism in itself, but I think the execution was done poorly. Using sounds from actual news is what bothers me, most of all the sirens and screams. If they would take out that part during her step sequence, I personally wouldn't mind at all.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I guess it was discussed here already, but I just watched Ladies FP and I simply can't understand how Anna has lost in this program to Satoko. And what excatly Satoko does to receive 3's on her jumps when she's barely off the ice? Ridiculous. I mean, these 3's are counted into GOE if she receives 3 of them for one element :rolleye: And French judge really dislike ANNA judging from PCS... She lost to PCS to both Satoko and Kaitlyn, oh well. Btw. Can someone tell me why Anna never recievs really high GOE on jumps? Does she lack steps or something? Kaetlyn Osmond receives so much 3's on her jumps, Satoko receives more 3's than her, it feels like Anna is unfairly lowballed on GOE, but maybe there is reason I'm just not aware of? Satoko is known for cheating and really small jumps, yet she seems better in judges eyes...
Evgenia getting 0 form Autralian judge on her opening Flip is a good joke. Isn't it mandatory minus GOE? And her spins are not Lipnitskaya kind of awesome, don't get where all these 3's come from. Masha Sotskova did well technically, but I still don't like her skating. And her pink dress with way too dar ilussion mesh doesn't help either. Her SP dress is pretty, so I can't uderstand this bad choice of dress. Is Elena having puberty related problems or is it ilness? She doesn;t seem to be herself. I think this season it;s evgenia & Ana that are top Russian Ladies and doesn't need to worry about Nationals, I wouldn't be suprised if Elena will be off the Euros/World team this time.
Kaetlyn was being Kaetlyn. She did nicely in SP, but then lowered her tech content in FS, and since the competiton was strong, she's off the podium. I'm not suprised about it at all. I'm still doubting her win At Canadian Nationals because of things like this.

I'm being emotional, I guess.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I guess it was discussed here already, but I just watched Ladies FP and I simply can't understand how Anna has lost in this program to Satoko.

Basically, because the technical panel took a potty break during Satokos skate. Would she have been called fairly for her underrotations, Anna would have been in 2nd overall.
Here is an instagram post showing both her 3Lz3T for example - and no matter how much of a fan you are, I'd think it's impossible to defend this as all jumps being clean. Heck, Shina Amano would have probably made a 3Lz<3T<< & 3Lz<3T< out of that (and would have been more right IMO than the actual panel).

chloepoco

Medalist
I guess it was discussed here already, but I just watched Ladies FP and I simply can't understand how Anna has lost in this program to Satoko. And what excatly Satoko does to receive 3's on her jumps when she's barely off the ice? Ridiculous. I mean, these 3's are counted into GOE if she receives 3 of them for one element :rolleye: And French judge really dislike ANNA judging from PCS... She lost to PCS to both Satoko and Kaitlyn, oh well. Btw. Can someone tell me why Anna never recievs really high GOE on jumps? Does she lack steps or something? Kaetlyn Osmond receives so much 3's on her jumps, Satoko receives more 3's than her, it feels like Anna is unfairly lowballed on GOE, but maybe there is reason I'm just not aware of? Satoko is known for cheating and really small jumps, yet she seems better in judges eyes...
Evgenia getting 0 form Autralian judge on her opening Flip is a good joke. Isn't it mandatory minus GOE? And her spins are not Lipnitskaya kind of awesome, don't get where all these 3's come from. Masha Sotskova did well technically, but I still don't like her skating. And her pink dress with way too dar ilussion mesh doesn't help either. Her SP dress is pretty, so I can't uderstand this bad choice of dress. Is Elena having puberty related problems or is it ilness? She doesn;t seem to be herself. I think this season it;s evgenia & Ana that are top Russian Ladies and doesn't need to worry about Nationals, I wouldn't be suprised if Elena will be off the Euros/World team this time.
Kaetlyn was being Kaetlyn. She did nicely in SP, but then lowered her tech content in FS, and since the competiton was strong, she's off the podium. I'm not suprised about it at all. I'm still doubting her win At Canadian Nationals because of things like this.

I'm being emotional, I guess.

My biggest pet peeve is when posters come on here and accuse skaters of "cheating" (or being a cheater).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My biggest pet peeve is when posters come on here and accuse skaters of "cheating" (or being a cheater).

Finishing a jumps rotation after landing used to be called "cheating the jump". It doesn't imply the skater is actually trying to cheat, but that the jump was under-rotated and finished on the ice. I certainly prefer the terminology of under-rotated or finished on the ice because it describes the error without expressing any type of moral judgment.

lavoix

Match Penalty
If you don't like Medvedeva's music, just put it on mute. Stop complaining, honestly...