2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How many years do Lajoie/Lagha still have in juniors?

MANY

she is 16, he is 17... so until she is 19???? 3 full more years.. but they will go seniors soon.... maybe not right next year but depending who retires after 2018, they could be right in the top 3... it would be advisable for them, if they want to perhaps go to worlds (senior in 2018) to skate senior right away...

for instance : 2017 senior worlds... Canada most likely earns 3 spots.

Olympic games 2018... Virtue and Moir, most likely Weaver and Poje retire after the games (mind you weapo might go to the end of the year)

I think Piper and Paul may continue up to 2022...
but after that, there are a couple new teams... and LL could compete with them... so if anyone retires after the games, and granted that Canada has 3 spots for 2018 worlds, the number 4 or even number 5 team at Nationals would be selected...

hope that made sense.. it's so clear in my head but my fingers say 313am

olayolay

On the Ice
Funny people in here are arguing about American skaters being held up when Russia seems to be the country with the most random successful junior skaters who peter out in seniors when judges aren't holding them up anymore.

madison

Record Breaker
MANY

she is 16, he is 17... so until she is 19???? 3 full more years.. but they will go seniors soon.... maybe not right next year but depending who retires after 2018, they could be right in the top 3... it would be advisable for them, if they want to perhaps go to worlds (senior in 2018) to skate senior right away...

Olympic games 2018... Virtue and Moir, most likely Weaver and Poje retire after the games (mind you weapo might go to the end of the year)

but after that, there are a couple new teams... and LL could compete with them... so if anyone retires after the games, and granted that Canada has 3 spots for 2018 worlds, the number 4 or even number 5 team at Nationals would be selected...

It makes sense... all is very clear now... thanks :agree:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Funny people in here are arguing about American skaters being held up when Russia seems to be the country with the most random successful junior skaters who peter out in seniors when judges aren't holding them up anymore.

This is so funny when reigning American world champs McNamara and carpenter when from 1st to 7th.

olayolay

On the Ice
Do Carreira/Ponomarenko remind me anyone else of a young Virtue/Moir? Christina isn't as advanced as Tessa was though. You could tell even from a young age that Tessa could dance - Christina's still very stiff. Priority number 1 for Igor this summer should be to get her doing some ballet, or into whatever classes Marin Honda is taking.

madison

Record Breaker
MANY

I also liked very, very much a young Canadian team: D'Alessandro/Waddell. I think they skate very smoothly and have a great future. Any news about them? Will they compete in juniors next year?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would like to see this country based system in figure skating ended ... it's just not good for the sport.
Let it be like in tennis, who nobody cares where the player is.

Agree. It would make things a lot simpler for mixed nationality partnerships in Pairs and Dance, and the quality and quantity of the entries would soar, as we would see more Russians able to compete.

But, it ain't going to happen, because the system at the Olympics is country based. And I can't see them ever changing. So, as long as we want to remain an Olympic sport, we have to keep in line with what they do.

It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

CaroLiza_fan

olayolay

On the Ice
This is so funny when reigning American world champs McNamara and carpenter when from 1st to 7th.

Like they didn't make serious mistakes in both the SD and FD.

Meanwhile the list of Russian dancers who couldn't transition successfully to senior is as long as my arm - Yanovskaya/Mozgov, Zenkova/Sinitsin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Stepanova/Bukin, Pushkash/Guerrerro, Monko/Khaliavin etc etc

madison

Record Breaker

What successful junior Russian teams do you speak about? The majority of them just broke up...

gmyers

Record Breaker
For the Olympics all the mixed country doubles teams have to find partners from their own country if they want to compete there. And Paris and ice dance isn't like doubles.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Meanwhile the list of Russian dancers who couldn't transition successfully to senior is as long as my arm - Yanovskaya/Mozgov, Zenkova/Sinitsin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Stepanova/Bukin, Pushkash/Guerrerro, Monko/Khaliavin etc etc

But most of them have split ! And stepanova/Bukin are doing quite well, as I said in another thread, I think that a little something is missing (the sparks) and then they could be huge. 3 of these teams at least split 2/3 years after turning seniors, and it takes sometime YEARS for a time to establish one's name, even if you are a Junior champion. Step/Bukin were always beating P/C before, but when P/C found there own style it turned around. I don't have many more examples, but I will be honest : the russian "style" works well in juniors. Not as much in seniors.
Another example could be Hawayek/Baker too.
and some teams needs to understand that you have to be patient to climb up the ladder : D/W were, and worked like hell, and it got them OGM. It is very rare to win directly after turning seniors, it is Ice dance.

Last edited:

madison

Record Breaker
....because they weren't successful as seniors.

Not really... Sinitsina/zhiganshin were 4/7, good results.
Stepanova/Bukin won a medal at Euro, although she is just...

the same I could say about Hawayek/Baker
If you expect medals from the very beginning this won't happen..

gmyers

Record Breaker

I know about all the extreme failures of Russian ice dance. The whole program is collapsing into a big nothing but you know none of those teams could ever get away with a parsons like botched lift!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For the Olympics all the mixed country doubles teams have to find partners from their own country if they want to compete there. And Paris and ice dance isn't like doubles.

Exactly.

In Pairs and Dance you have to have an intimate trust in your partner. For example, if you are a Pairs girl, you don't want somebody you are not that familiar with throwing you. You want somebody who you know you can trust to catch you!

In tennis, all you need is somebody that you know will be able to hit a ball across the court with a racquet.

CaroLiza_fan

auser

Record Breaker
MANY

I hope so :luv17: ... also hope I did not just jinx them :).

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA 164.83 2 1 video
2 Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD RUS 164.37 1 2 video
3 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA 154.68 6 3 video
4 Anastasia SHPILEVAYA / Grigory SMIRNOV RUS 152.66 4 4 video
5 Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN RUS 152.53 3 5 video
6 Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA CAN 148.26 5 7 video
7 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA 148.11 7 6 video
8 Angelique ABACHKINA / Louis THAURON FRA 140.61 9 8 video
9 Nicole KUZMICHOVA / Alexandr SINICYN CZE 134.17 10 9 video
10 Ria SCHWENDINGER / Valentin WUNDERLICH GER 131.77 13 10
11 Natacha LAGOUGE / Corentin RAHIER FRA 130.08 8 11 video
12 Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV UKR 126.88 11 12

Last edited:

skatemd1

On the Ice
Before, I thought that M/C and P/P were too alike, similar style and all... but P/P were mesmerizing today, and as the ice dance fan that I am, feeling something during a dance is worth everything ! I loved it so much, thank you Parsons ! Never been so entertained by a junior FD.

About M/C, it "happens". It's not fair but this is what it is. They should really find a style that suits them, and PLEASE, someone tell their choreographer to stop all the sloppy movements and the arms everywhere, it's a waste of very good skating skills.

Pavel and Alla : very very charismatic but they could be even better (choreo a bit blahh)

Anyway future of Ice dance looks awesomeeeeeeeee

Couldn't agree more. P/P were lights-out the best in skating skills, power, speed, edges, transitions, artistry - it was truly mesmerizing. They had one small GOE issue with that lift but definitely earned this world title. L/D just don't have the technical or artistic levels this year to come out on top, though they skated great at worlds too. M/C have great speed and skills and will be a force to be reckoned with next year at Senior. There is an amazing future for ice dance, with these three teams moving up. Congrats to Michael and Rachel - after much adversity, this title is well earned.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Do Carreira/Ponomarenko remind me anyone else of a young Virtue/Moir? Christina isn't as advanced as Tessa was though. You could tell even from a young age that Tessa could dance - Christina's still very stiff. Priority number 1 for Igor this summer should be to get her doing some ballet, or into whatever classes Marin Honda is taking.

I mean it is after 3 am, but are you kidding me? She reminds me of a slightly less stiff Sinitsina. In fact their pairing reminds me somewhat of S/K, the only difference is Anthony seems to be much stronger on the lifts, he sometimes struggles with his twizzles. :bed: