Patrick Chan | Page 489 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ooh, I didn't know that the venue was so small. Then I'm assuming you would advise to buy tickets as early as possible, right?

Good point! Their fees are :eeking: :shocked:

in thunderbird, the best chance to buy tickets for any event is the pre-sale... which happened already.. so please... BUY NOW I want you to see Patrick compete. you deserve it!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
in thunderbird, the best chance to buy tickets for any event is the pre-sale... which happened already.. so please... BUY NOW I want you to see Patrick compete. you deserve it!

Thanks!!

But the pre-sale isn't over yet... there's still an hour to go before it ends!! :biggrin:

Get your tickets while you can!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks!!

But the pre-sale isn't over yet... there's still an hour to go before it ends!! :biggrin:

Get your tickets while you can!

let us know if you did get a ticket ;) we are hopeful for you!!!! i mean you could perhaps resell it if you don't end up going... you have family there right?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
let us know if you did get a ticket ;) we are hopeful for you!!!! i mean you could perhaps resell it if you don't end up going... you have family there right?

Yes, and it was a more frustrating process navigating through Ticketmaster than I thought it would be. But I did get one. Thanks for the encouragement!

If you hadn't mentioned the "tiny venue" I wouldn't have known... TDPlace has 24,000 seats and Doug Mitchell Thunderbird only has 7,200!

-----------------

All, here's the latest Japanese article on Patrick. He is definitely working toward a quad flip, and his goal for the Olympics is: "fight without fear, acting with confidence and the best."

http://xxhuyuzero.jp/2017/06/22/post-46580/

Go Pchiddy!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, and it was a more frustrating process navigating through Ticketmaster than I thought it would be. But I did get one. Thanks for the encouragement!

If you hadn't mentioned the "tiny venue" I wouldn't have known... TDPlace has 24,000 seats and Doug Mitchell Thunderbird only has 7,200!

-----------------

All, here's the latest Japanese article on Patrick. He is definitely working toward a quad flip, and his goal for the Olympics is: "fight without fear, acting with confidence and the best."

Go Pchiddy!!!

wow 2 good news

1) you got a ticket
2) patrick paid attention to us... 4f in the making...

yay... go patrick :love:

blueberryhill

On the Ice

Yay, Vivley!!! :hap57: I am so happy for you!!!!

Just a minor correction, TDPlace arena has 9,500 seats, The TDPlace stadium has 24,000 seats. By contrast, in 2014 the Nationals were at the Canadian Tire Centre and that had 19,000+ seats. That year it wasn't sold out and there were empty seats. Whereas, last year when we arrived at TDPlace we were asked outside if we had an extra ticket to sell and also, the person next to us said her husband tried to get a ticket and couldn't.

I'm really surprised the tickets are on sale in June. Both times when the Nats were in Ottawa, the tickets went on sale in the first week of October. I'd love to go to Vancouver but planning seven months in advance - that's tough. ;)

Once again, congratulations!!! :party: We'll be expecting reports! :biggrin:

Potato on Ice

Rinkside

-----------------

Go Pchiddy!!!

Awww finally you get to see him live, you definitely deserve it. Please just cheer him on for all us here.

And go Patrick, another quad and a flip at that! Best man at the olympics definitely!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

Go Pchiddy!!!

Patrick is not going to sit back and let himself be passed in BV so easily. I'm actually very impressed by this 'old man' refusing to back down. I hope to see a gorgeous 4F from him next season. 4S in the SP and a 4F in the FS, I'm assuming; that's quite an upgrade, even if he keeps to 3 quads in the FS.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Aw, thanks guys! I'll do my best to get some reports! :agree:

Yay, Vivley!!! :hap57: I am so happy for you!!!!

Just a minor correction, TDPlace arena has 9,500 seats, The TDPlace stadium has 24,000 seats. By contrast, in 2014 the Nationals were at the Canadian Tire Centre and that had 19,000+ seats. That year it wasn't sold out and there were empty seats. Whereas, last year when we arrived at TDPlace we were asked outside if we had an extra ticket to sell and also, the person next to us said her husband tried to get a ticket and couldn't.

I'm really surprised the tickets are on sale in June. Both times when the Nats were in Ottawa, the tickets went on sale in the first week of October. I'd love to go to Vancouver but planning seven months in advance - that's tough. ;)

Once again, congratulations!!! :party: We'll be expecting reports! :biggrin:

I was also surprised to see the notice that tickets were going on sale so quickly. I remembered you or someone here had said that tickets usually go on sale in October, so I thought I would be waiting another 3-4 months (even though I was already looking at flights :biggrin:).

They sent out the notice for the pre-sale exactly 1 hour and 5 minutes before it started (I didn't see it until 2 hours later), so they must have anticipated a great demand. And yes, honestly it is tough to react and plan quickly enough. I probably should have bought a ticket right away when the seat selection was better but I'm glad that in the end I got the seat that I did - I'll be close to the kiss 'n cry! :)

I look forward to sitting in a jam-packed stadium, watching Patrick glide across the ice! :agree:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
They sent out the notice for the pre-sale exactly 1 hour and 5 minutes before it started (I didn't see it until 2 hours later), so they must have anticipated a great demand. And yes, honestly it is tough to react and plan quickly enough. I probably should have bought a ticket right away when the seat selection was better but I'm glad that in the end I got the seat that I did - I'll be close to the kiss 'n cry! :)

I look forward to sitting in a jam-packed stadium, watching Patrick glide across the ice! :agree:
I don't want you to second guess yourself. Sometimes you get better seats in the pre-sale. Sometimes you get better seats in the regular sale because they hold back blocks of seats. For the 2017 Nats we made the mistake of not taking what was offered in the pre-sale. We ended up with seats that weren't as good. The point is that you're going!!!! :hap85: :hap93:

I'm sure everybody here in the fan fest is just absolutely thrilled for you. :dance: You had hinted that you were planning it but I didn't want to ask you in the event you wished to keep that info private. ;) It would have been a real shame if you didn't see him in a live competition. That's Chiddy at his best! :love: My ultimate wish is to see him live on big ice (most arenas in North America are NHL sized). Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen. :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Aw, thanks guys! I'll do my best to get some reports! :agree:

I was also surprised to see the notice that tickets were going on sale so quickly. I remembered you or someone here had said that tickets usually go on sale in October, so I thought I would be waiting another 3-4 months (even though I was already looking at flights :biggrin:).

for having been at various events at thunderbird :

pre-sale is almost mandatory.... as people go nuts...
davis cup was presented there for 3 years in a row

france : i didn't have pre-sale code.... I waited for regular sales : there were no event pass anymore and only super expensive and very rare tickets left... (they were practically sold out)
spain : i wrote in advance to tennis canada to be put on the pre-sales list... i got a cheap all event pass and they sold out (friends couldn't get tickets on regular sale)
italy : i was way too busy that year to invest in an all event pass... so i thought... well.. let's just see... for some reason, perhaps that Italy didn't have as big tennis stars as France and Spain, I managed to buy a single ticket for the saturday at a reasonable price....

other experience : do not worry about your seat... it's a small venue... you will see very well.

vancouver is crazy about sports events... i couldn't get a single ticket for the olympic games figure skating... all i managed to get was a curling game.... without canada playing lol

i will write a post later closer to the date to let you know about what i liked in the city... food, shops... walks ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't want you to second guess yourself. Sometimes you get better seats in the pre-sale. Sometimes you get better seats in the regular sale because they hold back blocks of seats. For the 2017 Nats we made the mistake of not taking what was offered in the pre-sale. We ended up with seats that weren't as good. The point is that you're going!!!! :hap85: :hap93:

I'm sure everybody here in the fan fest is just absolutely thrilled for you. :dance: You had hinted that you were planning it but I didn't want to ask you in the event you wished to keep that info private. ;) It would have been a real shame if you didn't see him in a live competition. That's Chiddy at his best! :love: My ultimate wish is to see him live on big ice (most arenas in North America are NHL sized). Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen. :(

oh wow... i didn't think of that... i agree it would be nice to see him land his 4t-3t not n the boards ;)

how is PC's rink???? is it small?

blueberryhill

On the Ice
oh wow... i didn't think of that... i agree it would be nice to see him land his 4t-3t not n the boards ;)

how is PC's rink???? is it small?
By PC do you mean Patrick Chan? :scratch3: Or do you mean PyeongChang? According to Wikipedia:
Olympic-sized rinks have dimensions of 30 m × 60 m (98.4 ft × 197 ft), NHL-sized rinks are 26 m × 61 m (85 ft × 200 ft), while European rinks are sometimes 30 m × 64 m (98 ft × 210 ft). The International Skating Union prefers Olympic-sized rinks for figure skating competitions, particularly for major events.
I actually thought it was mandatory that Olympics figure skating be held on Olympic sized rinks. For 2018:
The Gangneung Ice Arena is designed to house two ice rinks (60m x 30m) for competition and training respectively.

So the 2018 Olympics will be the PC Olympics. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
:yahoo: I'm so happy for you vivley! But I am warning you that after seeing Pat skate live and in person you are going to be even more hooked! :luv17::laugh:

Now to answer 4everchan PC2018's rink is amazing and it's the first Olympic rink I've loved since Vancouver (my favorite by far). All of the skaters that were in it for 4CC's couldn't stop praising it. :biggrin: :yay:

suihan

Rinkside
Hi everyone! And hi Viv (we've chat a few times on Twitter), congratz on getting that ticket! I'm so happy for you :yay:

A relatively new figure skating fan here, I first fell in love with Patrick's skating after having watched a video of his Cup of China free skate last year. He really stands out with his sense of maturity and command of his edge work on the ice and not only that, he has such a refined fluidity in the movement of his entire body! It's like I can feel his spiritual connection to the ice. Whenever I see him skate, I think "this man is a true talent of the sport"!

I'm happy to hear he's decided to work on that 4F. It's a really bold thing to do at his point of career so my respect for him has grown a tenfold!

I'm cheering him on to make new strides and possibly new personal bests in his final season! :hap85:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone! And hi Viv (we've chat a few times on Twitter), congratz on getting that ticket! I'm so happy for you :yay:

A relatively new figure skating fan here, I first fell in love with Patrick's skating after having watched a video of his Cup of China free skate last year. He really stands out with his sense of maturity and command of his edge work on the ice and not only that, he has such a refined fluidity in the movement of his entire body! It's like I can feel his spiritual connection to the ice. Whenever I see him skate, I think "this man is a true talent of the sport"!

I'm happy to hear he's decided to work on that 4F. It's a really bold thing to do at his point of career so my respect for him has grown a tenfold!

I'm cheering him on to make new strides and possibly new personal bests in his final season! :hap85:

Welcome suihan! It is so nice to meet you! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Because I haven't done this in awhile.

652 pages!!:yahoo:

GO PATRICK!!!!!:hap10:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
You had hinted that you were planning it but I didn't want to ask you in the event you wished to keep that info private. It would have been a real shame if you didn't see him in a live competition. That's Chiddy at his best! :love: My ultimate wish is to see him live on big ice (most arenas in North America are NHL sized). Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen. :(

Haha, but with a direct request from 4everchan, I couldn't very well keep in you all in suspense, could I? ;) My family thinks I'm a little crazy but I'm not letting anyone stop me from my last chance to see Patrick in a live competition!

I hope you get your wish as well. :agree:

for having been at various events at thunderbird :

pre-sale is almost mandatory.... as people go nuts...

other experience : do not worry about your seat... it's a small venue... you will see very well.

i will write a post later closer to the date to let you know about what i liked in the city... food, shops... walks

Thanks! Good to know that I don't have to strain to see Patrick. I look forward to your insights!

Tickets just went on sale to the public today.... for anyone who might want to go...

I'm so happy for you vivley! But I am warning you that after seeing Pat skate live and in person you are going to be even more hooked! :luv17::laugh:

:laugh: I would like to know how many times you've seen him skate live! :biggrin:

Welcome to the fan fest, Suihan! You had a brilliant eye - yes, we agree with you that Patrick is a true talent of the sport! :agree:

----------------

Now, despite all our excitement about quads, I still love every one of Patrick's jumps. Here's his gorgeous Blackbird triple lutz:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVjhiznDonl/

Enjoy!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my only comments for now about the 4flip...

unless he uses it in both the SP and LP, it won't give so much help in BV... the 4Flip is 12.3... the 4S is 10.5 and the 4T is 10.3

Patrick could play rascal ;) and use the 4F in the SP as even if he fell on it with the GOE and deduction he would be at 7.3 which is 1.3 higher than a plain 3 lutz and pretty equivalent to a 3lutz with + 2 across the board... the extra 1.8 points in BV over the 4S does provide that extra cushion to do that two quad program which even with a major fall, would count nearly higher as a perfectly skated 1 quad program.

Of course, that's the negative angle. Patrick doesn't usually think like that. He uses elements that are very steady, especially in the SP... and we could see him then raise his BV by 6.3 compared to early last year ;) or by nearly two points still, if he used the flip instead of the salchow.

At this point, what do we know? He is trying it out and it's early in the off season.... so it could work out to become even better of a jump for him than the 4S.

In the LP : Aside for the extra 2 points in BV of the "repeated 4t" Patrick doesn't get much of an edge using the 4F. However, as we know, Patrick has had some difficulties with combos this year, mostly since by repeating the 4t and the 3a, he had no choice to tag jumps at the end of these two. In light of this, I can imagine that not repeating the quads would provide him with some options to do the combos on easier jumps but later in the programs, which may provide him with an overall better result in TES.

For instance

PLAN A PLAN B with missed combo
4t-3t 4t
4f 4f
4s 4s
second half
3a 3a
3a-2t 3a-2t
3lz-1/2-loop-3s kept the same
3lz 3lz-3t
3f 3f

ultraworld

Rinkside
Hi everyone! I would ask if It could be possible for Patrick to go next season for a four-quad long program. We didn' t expect him to work on the quad flip, He could amaze us with a quad more in the FP to fully take advantage of this new element