2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Patrick Chan
SP: Dust in the wind by Kansas
LP: Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
Source

Surprising beautiful and thoughtful contemporary choices. They are going to bring so many wet eyes in the arena... interestingly both might be suited to some end credit music of an epic biographical journey. Rather cryptic messages if you really want to read into it, at least they are not some cliche war horse classic, but seems to imply he is already conceding and bowing out gracefully. Patrick, the modernist. If his gala is to 'The Sound of Silence', that would surely complete the perfect trio that reflects his style so well. Nice, easy, effortless, deeply affecting, impressionable, graceful, pure class without ever trying so hard.

Jeff is my sentimental fav version, loved it since that West Wing season final years ago to invoke a state of loss, mourning, remembrance and grace. It will be deeply heartrending if Patrick can bring them justice at the Olympics in probably his last competitive ice. It will really separate himself from other points go-getters. Very best of luck Patrick. Here is to hope you can obtain that state of grace you will look back fondly.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Surprising beautiful and thoughtful contemporary choices. They are going to bring so many wet eyes in the arena... interestingly both might be suited to some end credit music of an epic biographical journey. Rather cryptic messages if you really want to read into it, at least they are not some cliche war horse classic, but seems to imply he is already conceding and bowing out gracefully. Patrick, the modernist. If he gala is to The sound of silence, that would should surely complete the perfect trio that reflects his style so well. Nice, easy, effortless, deeply affecting, impressionable, graceful, pure class without ever trying so hard.

Jeff is my sentimental fav version, loved it since that West Wing season final years ago to invoke a state of loss, mourning, remembrance and grace. It will be deeply heartrending if Patrick brings them justice at the Olympics in probably his last competitive ice. Very best of luck Patrick. Here is to hope you can obtain that state of grace you will look back fondly.

Oh OS, I cannot agree with you more.
I do NOT familiar with these 2 pieces of music, and I am aware some of Patrick fan's reaction about them. BUT, I just listened them on Youtube. that is exactly how I felt about it. you whole post!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Surprising beautiful and thoughtful contemporary choices. They are going to bring so many wet eyes in the arena... interestingly both might be suited to some end credit music of an epic biographical journey. Rather cryptic messages if you really want to read into it, at least they are not some cliche war horse classic, but seems to imply he is already conceding and bowing out gracefully. Patrick, the modernist. If his gala is to 'The Sound of Silence', that would surely complete the perfect trio that reflects his style so well. Nice, easy, effortless, deeply affecting, impressionable, graceful, pure class without ever trying so hard.

Jeff is my sentimental fav version, loved it since that West Wing season final years ago to invoke a state of loss, mourning, remembrance and grace. It will be deeply heartrending if Patrick can bring them justice at the Olympics in probably his last competitive ice. It will really seprate himself from other points go-getters. Very best of luck Patrick. Here is to hope you can obtain that state of grace you will look back fondly.

Gosh darn it Patrick, you're gonna make me cry. :love:

Oh OS, I cannot agree with you more.
I do NOT familiar with these 2 pieces of music, and I am aware some of Patrick fan's reaction about them. BUT, I just listened them on Youtube. that is exactly how I felt about it. you whole post!!

and here I am... devastated by these choices...

jeff buckley's version to me, isn't powerful enough....
the dust in the wind... i didn't know before, it's a sweet song but why that one?

As a long time fan... and yes... crazy uber fan of Patrick's, I am devastated that he didn't pick at least one classical piece... which IMHO suits his skating style very well...

when I read your words though, I am looking forward to be proven wrong as if anyone can make me like music... even Eric's music, it's Patrick.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
and here I am... devastated by these choices...

jeff buckley's version to me, isn't powerful enough....
the dust in the wind... i didn't know before, it's a sweet song but why that one?

As a long time fan... and yes... crazy uber fan of Patrick's, I am devastated that he didn't pick at least one classical piece... which IMHO suits his skating style very well...

when I read your words though, I am looking forward to be proven wrong as if anyone can make me like music... even Eric's music, it's Patrick.

it is not powerful enough, but you can hear the music of his blades.

classical piece, Patrick has done it justice in his 4 seasons and Chopin. these music choice just like OS said. it is farewell. Truly, what is the most important in Patrick's last OG.

Patrick wil definitely make us cry. (He already did with Elegy.)

However, to me Patrick's beauty and artistry starts at the blade and works its way up. I hope he will be telling the audience and the judges, "Don't cry, just check out this footwork -- Hallelujah!"

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I had to hear Dust in the Wind when it first came out, all over the place, and it is a song best left in the 70s. Horrid tune.

I'm crying too, and it ain't from joy. Sound goes down on that one.:(

As for Hallelujah, I always thought I hated that too, but it was more Jeff Buckley, I think. Deanna and Nate skated their SP last year to an actually listenable rendition of Hallelujah by a group calling itself "Three Canadian Tenors".

Three Canadian tenors? Patrick, are you listening? A *much* better version.....:agree:

andromache

Record Breaker
For the record, I am a major cheeseball and that's exactly why I'm into Patrick's cheeseball music choices. He's going to have a Michelle Kwan bittersweet-tragic "Fields of Gold"-esque moment (yes, I am aware that Fields of Gold was an exhibition) and it'll be iconic.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well then everyone is crying thanks to Marina .... the ones who are happy with patrick's choices, the ones are disappointed, and the ones who have this corny cheeseball sensitivity while watching a beautiful skater to tacky music LOL

I am one of these people listed above... sometimes i can be all 3 :)

Patrick, you tearjerker.... :handw:

For the record, I am a major cheeseball and that's exactly why I'm into Patrick's cheeseball music choices. He's going to have a Michelle Kwan bittersweet-tragic "Fields of Gold"-esque moment (yes, I am aware that Fields of Gold was an exhibition) and it'll be iconic.

Make them laugh, make them cry, and always leave them wanting more. :yes:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Jeff Buckley version seems to be a more personal version with less frills and orchestrations than other versions. It may not be "powerful" in terms of production, but it's raw and simple. I think that's the feeling Patrick wants to give the audience.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Jeff Buckley version seems to be a more personal version and less frills and orchestrations than other versions. It may not be "powerful" in terms of production, but it's raw and simple. I think that's the feeling Patrick wants to give the audience.

Of the well known versions, I think it best captures what that song should be. It has a vulnerability that works really well. A lot of other versions can get a little anthemic, which can make for beautiful music, but isn't true to the heart of the song. I think it will work well with Patrick's beautiful skating and musicality.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of the well known versions, I think it best captures what that song should be. It has a vulnerability that works really well. A lot of other versions can get a little anthemic, which can make for beautiful music, but isn't true to the heart of the song. I think it will work well with Patrick's beautiful skating and musicality.

perhaps... vulnerability is not something I wish for skaters to expose on centerstage at the olympics... anthemic, epic, well... that's what warhorses do.

i like very few versions of this song other than cohen's himself which is all about the words more than the music... so perhaps inappropriate for skating.... and KD Lang's which is the version Cohen said he preferred...

this being said, we will have to wait and see....

people thought the journey was too intimate... this version to me, is on the dull side... so i am wondering what they are addressing here if anything at all... seems like a very strange option which is even more the case, when watching the interview... patrick has very little to say about his music, unlike any other year.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Patrick Chan
SP: Dust in the wind by Kansas
LP: Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
Source

Gosh darn it Patrick, you're gonna make me cry. :love:

Patrick wil definitely make us cry. (He already did with Elegy.)

However, to me Patrick's beauty and artistry starts at the blade and works its way up. I hope he will be telling the audience and the judges, "Don't cry, just check out this footwork -- Hallelujah!"

The Jeff Buckley version seems to be a more personal version and less frills and orchestrations than other versions. It may not be "powerful" in terms of production, but it's raw and simple. I think that's the feeling Patrick wants to give the audience.

well, I have no wonder over those Patrick choices being not exactly controversial, but more like polarizing - the songs themselves (especially 'Hallelujah' version) is not everyone's cup of tea and moreover - most of us already have projected (or more like wished) that Patrick will do at least one classical piece as a master of that genre. But as I wrote in some other thread - I totally refuse to make any pre-judgement over his PROGRAMS based only on musical choices. When I see it, I'll make an opinion. Music could evoke some feelings in me or nothing at all, skating to it - it's just entirely different story to tell in my case.

Two little cents from me about those choices, in a light of your quotations above - even if I have not yet seen the programs, I already can tell (and agree with Mathman and andromache) that there will be a great emotional power carried by Patrick and for sure I'll be moved. Comparing musical choices to last year, they seem definitely more on 'sentimental/emotional contemporary' side. I could be wrong - as we've not yet seen the programs - but I receive those choices as very personal ones, 'deeper' than last year's in emotional, more soulful way; whereas The Beatles and 'Journey' were definitely 'artful contemporary' for me, with emotional message, I sense that new choices will be more about that personal emotional message Patrick would like to send using his skating as a platform (please don't get me wrong on that one - I think that beauty and art of Patrick's skating will be there as a given, just more stress will be put on emotional creation and feelings Patrick experiences and feelings he would like to evoke in the audience).

And I definitely agree with VietglrTerifa on 'Hallelujah' version used by Patrick - even extending it also on SP choice. I feel that those choices in terms of 'musicality/production' terms are very understated, simple, clinical and 'quiet' even - very few instruments, melody and voice of singer(s). In terms of that 'rawness' and minimalism I definitely see where Patrick is coming from - as per his last season's choices, which were also very understated and minimal (maybe just more 'statemental-like' comparing to upcoming season), he still was able to put his skating in prime light and draw attention to this seamless, ethereal beauty created by a fusion of his masterful skill and the music, making him like an instrument, so in harmony with melody. I think personally that those choices yet again will make Patrick's skating stand out by itself, but adding more shine on his feelings experienced, emotional package and reflection of his personality inside his skating/performance. And when to do such a thing, if not during his (probably) farewell competition season?

I do believe - strongly - that Patrick has it all to make those choices work beautifully for him and moreover - if he shown a willingness to take on those songs, there's definitely a thought behind it, an idea and dedication. And how chapis said already - it's Patrick, so I'd fall in love anyway probably, looking at his skating in general and what emotions it evokes inside me.

ETA - and to add one thing - Patrick is for me a rare example of a skater whose powerfulness is sourced from his skating alone, no musical/choreographical 'fireworks' are needed to make me feel the power of certain skater.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, I have no wonder over those Patrick choices being not exactly controversial, but more like polarizing - the songs themselves (especially 'Hallelujah' version) is not everyone's cup of tea and moreover - most of us already have projected (or more like wished) that Patrick will do at least one classical piece as a master of that genre. But as I wrote in some other thread - I totally refuse to make any pre-judgement over his PROGRAMS based only on musical choices. When I see it, I'll make an opinion. Music could evoke some feelings in me or nothing at all, skating to it - it's just entirely different story to tell in my case.

Two little cents from me about those choices, in a light of your quotations above - even if I have not yet seen the programs, I already can tell (and agree with Mathman and andromache) that there will be a great emotional power carried by Patrick and for sure I'll be moved. Comparing musical choices to last year, they seem definitely more on 'sentimental/emotional contemporary' side. I could be wrong - as we've not yet seen the programs - but I receive those choices as very personal ones, 'deeper' than last year's in emotional, more soulful way; whereas The Beatles and 'Journey' were definitely 'artful contemporary' for me, with emotional message, I sense that new choices will be more about that personal emotional message Patrick would like to send using his skating as a platform (please don't get me wrong on that one - I think that beauty and art of Patrick's skating will be there as a given, just more stress will be put on emotional creation and feelings Patrick experiences and feelings he would like to evoke in the audience).

And I definitely agree with VietglrTerifa on 'Hallelujah' version used by Patrick - even extending it also on SP choice. I feel that those choices in terms of 'musicality/production' terms are very understated, simple, clinical and 'quiet' even - very few instruments, melody and voice of singer(s). In terms of that 'rawness' and minimalism I definitely see where Patrick is coming from - as per his last season's choices, which were also very understated and minimal (maybe just more 'statemental-like' comparing to upcoming season), he still was able to put his skating in prime light and draw attention to this seamless, ethereal beauty created by a fusion of his masterful skill and the music, making him like an instrument, so in harmony with melody. I think personally that those choices yet again will make Patrick's skating stand out by itself, but adding more shine on his feelings experienced, emotional package and reflection of his personality inside his skating/performance. And when to do such a thing, if not during his (probably) farewell competition season?

I do believe - strongly - that Patrick has it all to make those choices work beautifully for him and moreover - if he shown a willingness to take on those songs, there's definitely a thought behind it, an idea and dedication. And how chapis said already - it's Patrick, so I'd fall in love anyway probably, looking at his skating in general and what emotions it evokes inside me.

i like your positive outlook on things.. however one detail though..

in the interview, patrick says he let his team choose the music for him this time.. he didn't want to micro-manage and get too involved... as really what matters the most is the content... not really music...

i think that's part of why i am so shocked as Patrick has always been a great factor in his musical choices... and has always focused on style, not content...

in the end, I am sure that Patrick will not suddenly turn into a skater I can no longer appreciate... that's not my beef with the musical choices...

i am more surprised that he had very little to say in the selection as if he is avoiding to go with a more personal like project like the beatles were (favourite songs of his parents) or Journey, composed specifically for him by one of his besties...

So yeah.. very surprised... and on top of that... both songs are similar... guitar and voice.. slow... etc...

in any case, I agree with you and chapis.. that i will still love patrick's skating.. but will these programs be my favourite of his? probably not.