2017 GPF Men's SP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's SP

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
Apparently due to late finish/over the time limit. Shoma took 2 min 51 sec. Max 2 min 50 sec

but he's been using the same music all season? His final spin ended almost exactly on the music cue too, has he just been a second away from a time deduction all season?

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Shoma sitting so stiff and still throughout the post SP press conference, lol.

Search 'Skating ISU' for the youtube vid, cant seem to copy the link

eaglehelang

Final Flight
but he's been using the same music all season? His final spin ended almost exactly on the music cue too, has he just been a second away from a time deduction all season?

You can check at the Shoma Fan Fest thread. Seems Shoma said in an interview he changed the music for the last part

Oh, I just finished watching the press conference. It was at the press con. Shoma said he changed the music cos his step seq was not in time with music, so he made it longer. Then now have the time violation problem

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Let's hope he gets the backlash he so richly richly deserves.

Adam Rippon's program is not 'feminine'. Does any female skater have a program like this? No. I have no idea what a commentator is allowed to say on german TV, but they are even allowed to swear (whereas in the US you hear that 'beep' sound), so why not say what you really mean and use 'feminine' instead? :noshake:

I just rewatched it, they changed the music on the final spin, it is indeed longer. But 1 second? Woah, there is really no home ice advantage here if they are THAT strict.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon's program is not 'feminine'. Does any female skater have a program like this? No. I have no idea what a commentator is allowed to say on german TV, but they are even allowed to swear (whereas in the US you hear that 'beep' sound), so why not say what you really mean and use 'feminine' instead? :noshake:

Actually what he really means, at least in English, is a word that would probably get me banned from here. Or one of its equally odious synonyms.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Shoma's music, I have watched that SP many times and immediately noticed something different. At first I wasn't sure if the music had skipped or if possibly there were a few extra measures? So it was 2:51 seconds and the limit is 2:50? :drama:

And my 2 cents on Shoma's wonderful skating. I know he is not everyone's cup of tea. We all have our favorites. Fandoms? I don't even trust myself to write my thoughts and don't want to get a warning. I have seen Shoma live in 6 competitions, 2 ice shows, and numerous hours of training and practice. He is a very kind, hard-working young man who loves skating. He works hard to try to improve, as do most skaters. I am always amazed at how he skates big, despite his tiny frame.

Best of luck to him in the FS, along with the other 5 whom I know will also give 120%.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh by the way guys, some of you may have not seen this, but Jason actually got the famed Noburo Sato back pat from the amazing Takahiko Kozuka! I think it's good luck (and it's bit adorable to see him fanboy a bit afterwards....)

And also, he's like his idol Noburnari Oda getting called up to GPF on the Olympic year as a first alternate.

Thank you for sharing this! This was SO Mr. Sato's ritual with Takahiko! I loved at Taka's retirement how Coach Sato skated out to present flowers to him. I think he then did one last, good back slap for good measure!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Question time can Adam afford to finish last at the GPF two years in a row and still be a contender for the Olympic team? Last year it was expected he wouldn't finish high in the standings with Hanyu, Javier and Patrick along with Uno and Chen all at the GPF but this time the lineup is weaker. Jason while not clean beat him here and Vincent for instance especially if he can ever skate a clean SP has the tech to easily beat Adam in the SP.

da96103

Record Breaker
Regarding Shoma's music, I have watched that SP many times and immediately noticed something different. At first I wasn't sure if the music had skipped or if possibly there were a few extra measures? So it was 2:51 seconds and the limit is 2:50? :drama:

And my 2 cents on Shoma's wonderful skating. I know he is not everyone's cup of tea. We all have our favorites. Fandoms? I don't even trust myself to write my thoughts and don't want to get a warning. I have seen Shoma live in 5 competitions, 2 ice shows, and numerous hours of practice. He is a very kind, hard-working young man who loves skating. He works hard to try to improve, as do most skaters. I am always amazed at how he skates big, despite his tiny frame.

Best of luck to him in the FS, along with the other 5 whom I know will also give 120%.

I hope if Shoma loses to Nathan, it is not by less than one point.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Question time can Adam afford to finish last at the GPF two years in a row and still be a contender for the Olympic team? Last year it was expected he wouldn't finish high in the standings with Hanyu, Javier and Patrick along with Uno and Chen all at the GPF but this time the lineup is weaker. Jason while not clean beat him here and Vincent for instance especially if he can ever skate a clean SP has the tech to easily beat Adam in the SP.

At this point, barring disaster at Nationals, or if Max Aaron skates lights out, and I mean the BEST he's ever skated, the top three men have presented themselves for the US.

Vincent has the tech capability to beat Jason and Adam, but he hasn't been consistent, at all.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Whaa the scores seems so inflated! It really is the Olympic season. I am kind of dreading the Ladies now....

da96103

Record Breaker

Well, I think all will be determined at US Natuonals. By being here at GPF, he already has an advantage over Max and Vincent, since the whole season's overall performance will be taken into account as well.

He just needs to be beat at least two out of Brown, Aaron and Zhou (and any emerging dark horses) at the Nationals.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Why not? Finishing 6th at the GPF is not the same as 6th at any other competition because only the top skaters are at the event. His scores will be more relevant than his placement. Adam isn'tgoing to be a medal contender at the Olympics (though anything is possible--see Denis Ten) so it really doesn't matter if he can beat the skaters who are.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think Adam's 6th place in the SP (and we still have the FS, after all) has a whole lot of bearing.

If anyone needed to show a good performance, it was Jason. And he seized the unexpected opportunity today. While it wasn't perfect, his score at GPF was still respectable and kept his SP average the 2nd highest among the U.S. men:

And even with Adam's 6th place finish, it's still a pretty solid score, as you can see here.

Nathan Chen 104.12 - SKAM
Nathan Chen 103.32 - GPF
Nathan Chen 100.54 - RC
Nathan Chen 91.80 - USIFSC
Jason Brown 90.71 - SC
Adam Rippon 89.04 - SKAM
Jason Brown 89.02 - GPF
Adam Rippon 86.19 - GPF
Max Aaron 86.06 - USIFSC

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
One thing that surprised me is after Shoma's Russian split on ice fall
In the 3A, he was like still cheerful and smiling. I am glad it does affect him negatively.

I would imagined if that had happened to Yuzuru, there would be a big black cloud with lightning and thunder at the Kiss and Cry.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
One thing that surprised me is after Shoma's Russian split on ice fall
In the 3A, he was like still cheerful and smiling. I am glad it does affect him negatively.

I would imagined if that had happened to Yuzuru, there would be a big black cloud with lightning and thunder at the Kisd and Cry.

I'm a huge Shoma fan and I have to say I wanted more anger than he was showing. Smiling Shoma is always nice, but come on. That stupid fall might have cost you the win, Shoma. Argh. Well, it's done and I don't want him to skate cautiously because of this mistake tomorrow, so it's probably better if he can laugh about it and immediately move on. He can't change what happened, only learn from it. It's not over until it's over.

Olympic

On the Ice
If you have to fight through the SP it doesn't bode well for the LP. And especially Nathan's LP which is the hardest of all the men. I'm worried.

This.

I am a Nathan uber and I'm a little unsettled that he seems to be fighting through the jumps rather than letting them flow. The blade issue at Skate America and the strange body language I got from Raf unnerve me right now. It suggests to me that something is afoot, but I hope it is just me being overdramatic as an uber. I hope he can put it together tomorrow, though. A win would make him a real challenger for the top but I expected him to be 2nd from the beginning.